Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Rally's, what are they like

I have only been camping for a year, once or twice a month. I keep seeing information about rally’s and will be going to my first one this month. My dealer puts on a yearly rally where they take care of the food and activities and I just pay campground fees. Dealer also providing technicians to look at problems with campers etc. This trip may answer a lot of my questions.

I keep reading on MOC about rally’s but the information I learn from reading these post/replies indicates a lot of you guys know what to expect because you do this all the time. I just got an email for THE RALLY in Perry, Georgia next March. In trying to understand the info I see pictures of campers, looks like almost touching and talk of generator power supplied for specific times/dates and other services you can pay for, like tank dumps, fuel, etc. As a newbie this is scary to me since I am not sure once you are setup that you can get out until it's over, my impression of the picture in the email.

I don't like too many surprises when going to campgrounds and would like to gain some background about what to expect, etc. The one this month is only 75 miles away, at a campground, rally limited to using 100 sites that are assigned with full hookups so I figure this will be a good learning experience.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Got that same e-mail about the rally in Georgia. First I was interested. Would have been a great break from the harsh winter in NY. Then I looked at the picture No way would I want to camp anywhere like that. Plus, if I read correctly, it was like dry camping. Something we don't do.
The NE rally is not all that far from you in the Spring. Then there is the Virginia rally in Staunton.
We are coming your way. Going to be in Charlottesville KOA and then up to the KOA at Harpers Ferry. Didn't realize KOA's were that expensive.
I want to go to Branson soooo bad. That one should be fun. We've only been to 3 rally's. No, we still don't know what we're doing. But there is always someone who is more than willing to help you out and answer your questions.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Huge question

Simple (and only part of) answer: All Rally's have different services, some are full service, 50 AMPs, full hookups, others are pure boondocking. You will need to make inquiries so you are prepared.

Some you will be parked close, others, not as close. For a Rally, close has never bothered us, we are there to be together and visit.

Have fun, Rally's are an exciting and different way to enjoy the RV life.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rallies can be most anything. They are put on by dealers for the units they sell. By the manufactureres for the brand thay sell. In our case by the MOC forum for the members of the forum.There is no set standard. They can be boondocking in the desert (quartzsite, Az) or at a 4 star RV resort were we are at a rally right now. They all promote rv'ing and fellowship.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
To me Rallies are a social gathering of people with some form of common link. For the MOC rallies the link is owning a Montana, Mountaineer or Cambridge. I would say the main part is the socialization and meeting those you have chatted with on the web or read comments. Putting a face in person to a MOC ID. From that point on Rally agenda are what make each one different. The social events and special visitors again add to the rally function. Some times just having free time to travel around the area is nice too. I hope this helps to explain my understanding of a rally.
The dealer rallies as you described seems to be about support their customers.

The Rally campsite has its own capabilities or limitations which are unique to all RV parks.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I agree with H. John. MOC rallies are the best place to put a "face to the name". Meet some great people and have so good times. Also, you get a chance to meet some of these same peole when you are out on your travels. We've been to two rallies and are planning on two more MOCs. Some of the folks we've met at the rallies we also got together with over the winter in Phoenix. Planning on that again. Love the form and the people who make up the MOCers!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Rallies are places to get together with like minded people where you meet new friends; renew former friendships; learn more about your 5th wheel; lots of good food; time to play games and visit; if you need help you can get it. Usually there are full hook ups or you are given an option of what hook up you want. We have not gone to the huge rallies but if you do and want hook ups you have to register as soon as it is announced. We prefer the smaller ones where you get to know people better. There is usually something for everyone and you don't have to do everything. Most of all it is just plain fun as RV people are the best.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #8
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Thanks for the information. I need start with a small rally like my dealers rally this coming weekend and see if this is something that I fit into. My daughters that camp question my camping ways. They like lots of friends around the camp fire and beer. They are more active and usually have two or three other campers with them. Most of my camping has been at skeet shoots, maybe like a rally, where I know the majority of the people and we have a common interest other then camping. Our other camping at campgrounds has been nice and usually meet a few people with common interests and enjoy the time. I guess I am still trying to figure where I fit in.

Chuck & Carol, I do have the MOC rally in Gettysburg, PA on my calendar. It is at a campground so I don’t expect any surprises. I have seen something about VA rally in Staunton and will check into it.

Thanks to all for your comments and information. I guess this weekend will help in my decision making on future rally attendance.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

Thanks for the information. I need start with a small rally like my dealers rally this coming weekend and see if this is something that I fit into. My daughters that camp question my camping ways. They like lots of friends around the camp fire and beer. They are more active and usually have two or three other campers with them. Most of my camping has been at skeet shoots, maybe like a rally, where I know the majority of the people and we have a common interest other then camping. Our other camping at campgrounds has been nice and usually meet a few people with common interests and enjoy the time. I guess I am still trying to figure where I fit in.

Chuck & Carol, I do have the MOC rally in Gettysburg, PA on my calendar. It is at a campground so I don’t expect any surprises. I have seen something about VA rally in Staunton and will check into it.

Thanks to all for your comments and information. I guess this weekend will help in my decision making on future rally attendance.
Cyrus, try this link to see some of what happens!!!!
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21526
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
We have joined a local Good Sam chapter as well as SMARTS. The key is to attend as a visitor and evaluate the group just as they are evaluating you. Our Good Sam chapter is a small chapter and as the trailmaster I am looking for campgrounds with full hook ups and a club house for socializing. Our group also has similar interests and we have made some close friendships. When I looked at the state rally and the national, the size of the group precluded the ability to go into a regular campground and to use county fairgrounds where utilities may not be available.

The key is to check it out ahead of time. We have thoroughly enjoyed our attendance at the rallies we have gone to as well as our travel time alone.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having just attended the Good Sam rally in Redmond, OR, can you say Commercialization. Yep, IMHO, this rally was all about buying. Seems every conceivable part and accessory for sale. Food was WAY over priced and not very good. If you are looking for a motor home then this was the place. Stuck in a field with 30 amp elec and h20. Remember, I am new at this and may have missed the essence of this rally. It was nice meeting several members of the MOC.

Don't get me wrong, I did my share of buying also, including a Mor-Ryde hitch pin. Was not able to take advantge of the tours as they were all booked by the time we found out about the rally.

Have no idea what the rally in Georgia will be but I will not be making that one.

I have yet to go to any of the regional MOC rallies but am planning on doing that next year. I am looking forward to attending these as we used to belong to a Van Club in the 70's and when we got together it was all about comaraderie and friendship. To me, this is the essence of rallying, not the "spend, spend, spend" ones. Again this is MHO.

Look forward to meeting many of you out there.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil

Ahhhh, there is a huge difference in Rallys. Each has something different to offer, just like families, all different.

Years ago attended some regional Good Sam Rallys, and the presentations were superb! Not so much selling at them.

Attended national rally for another club, again, many years ago, and we use to love the vendors and the selling part! Saw stuff we could not get locally and what fun to look.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Cyrus, we returned from the big Rally in Redmond about three weeks ago. One of the best times we have had. Met some great people, who by the way, were not MOCer's, but they were nice anyhow!
We traveled there with some great people also, namely Glenn and Lorraine! It always helps to travel with buddies too!
At the Rally there were a lot of SALES of all kinds, some not even associated with rving. But they were outweighed by the availability of the items that were related to our passion of the rv life!
They also had some very informative seminars about rv life, like boon docking in Arizona and how to set up satellite dish.
We have also attended the Rally in Daytona and decided that if we made reservations at Redmond that we would use this as a way of making sure we would see the west. Sometimes you have to make yourself go places, if you know what I mean. I don't know when we would have gone there, but by making reservations at the Rally we pretty much had to go!
Don't forget about the entertainment, that was fantastic!
However, as much as we liked going out west, we have decided IF we go to Georga for next year, we are staying off site and will visit at our convience.
We met some people there that this was their first rally of any kind and they were different in their opinions. Some say they will go back and some say no way! So, you may want to stay off site and visit the Rally and then you can see if you want to go whole hog the next time!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #14
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Thanks for all the comments. I can relate to the different opinions of the members. I will test the water starting with our dealer rally, (at a large campground) this month and go from there. I can’t see going onsite to a big rally without going to one first and staying offsite or tagging along with others that have experience. That picture on the Georgia Rally email scared me; I like some room being a country boy.

We are talking about an October Samboree here in VA but reading the flyer about facilities scared me. It’s more a lack of facilities! I just spent a week at a skeet shoot with 30 amp service, rally has 15 Amp. With 40 campers and 90+ degrees some days we were under 100 volts and very little water pressure.