Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Talking about Fire Extinguishers...

Every year or so I have posted the following and as another thread got on the subject of fire extinguishers in the bedroom I thought it was time to post it again..........

From years of being a volunteer fire fighter I developed certain safety habits when it came to fire safety. Two things you'll find in everyone's rig are Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguishers. But just having them is one thing, having them work is another.

#1- Test your Smoke Detector monthly and replace the batteries yearly. I replace the batteries the first of every year. I am sure many of you have a particular date when you replace your batteries.

But , When was the last time you even looked at your Fire Extinguisher(s) much less inspected it.
In every rig that Montana builds one piece of Standard Equipment is a fire extinguisher. Usually a 2 1/2 pound Class B/C, Dry Chemical. The Class "B" rating is for extinguishing Flammable Liquid type fires such as propane, gasoline or diesel fuel. The Class "C" rating is for Electrical fires.
The Chemical is actually a very dry powder type of substance which is basically backing soda AND in order for the extinguisher to work properly this powder must be kept loosely packed and not firmly packed.
In a stick house the extinguisher hangs on a wall for years at a time allowing this powder to settle and become firmly packed. Than when we need it most we pull the trigger and little or nothing comes out of the nozzle. Each year these extinguishers should be removed from the wall, inverted and struck on the bottom with the heel of your hand or a rubber mallet to loosen the powder and than shake the extinguisher for about a minute to break up any clumps. At the same time you check the condition of the charge. Read the label it will tell you how to check for the condition. In my case there is a little green indicator button sticking out of the handle, press that green button in and if it the button does not spring back replace the extinguisher. Some have a gauge with a needle indicating the state of charge. Normally if the needle is in the green it is OK. If it goes into the red than replace it. I say replace it as it would cost more to have the extinguisher serviced than a new one would cost.
NOW in our 5ers or TTs or even your tow vehicles the extinguisher should be inspected even more frequently. As we drag our rig down the hi-way the vibrations actually causes the powder to settle and become even more tightly packed. You would therefore want to check your extinguishers before and after every trip. Add it to the "Things to do at set-up" or "Arriving home" list.

One more thing...
As I said these extinguishers that they put in our rigs are for Class B/C rated fires. They are not for Class "A" (NO not motor homes) Normal Combustible type fires such as paper, wood, trash, cloth, etc. For example, a trash can fire in your kitchen is usually a Class A type fire whereas the grease burning in the frying pan would be a class B.
Therefore, I would also suggest carrying at least a 5 pound ABC Extinguisher along with the 2 1/2 pound you received with the rig. The ABC rated works on all 3 type fires. In fact, a couple of ABC's would not hurt. 1 in the trailer and one in the TV.
And another thing, A Class C electrical fire is only a Class C electrical fire until the electricity is cut off. If when the electricity is cut off and there is still flame it is now a Class A Combustible or Class B Flammable Liquid fire.

NOW when the time comes to replace that 2 1/2 pounder that came with the rig I would either get a 5# BC or another 5# ABC.

AND...Just because you have a fire extinguisher in your hand does not necessarily make you a firefighter. Know your limitations as well as the limitations of your fire extinguisher, not just the different classes. Just how much fire can the extinguisher you have in hand put out. To learn a bit more on the subject stop at your local fire station and ask questions. I was a volunteer firefighter for over 25 years and we always encouraged the citizens to stop in and ask questions.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for the info Glenn, especially the part about regularly loosening the powder as most people are unaware of this.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Yes, thanks Glenn. I knew to check for pressure but not to shake to loosen up the powder.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Good info Glenn, can I add this to tour statement on yearly battery replacement.
when daylight saving time arrives, change the batteries on all battery opperated alarms and sniffers be it in the trailer or your stick house.

TT2
Old 12-23-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Good info Glenn, can I add this to tour statement on yearly battery replacement.
when daylight saving time arrives, change the batteries on all battery opperated alarms and sniffers be it in the trailer or your stick house.

TT2
Doesn't matter how we arrive at the date to change out the batteries and maintain their extinguishers as long as we do it faithfully.
As a former fire fighter I use Fire Prevention Week. Some folks use New Years, anniversaries, etc. Again it really doesn't matter so long as it gets done.

BTW--Fire Prevention week is always the week containing October the 9th.
It should also be noted that Canada has picked the same week for the same reason.
Does anyone know why???

If you knew that's great and you probably are or were a fire fighter.

Click here to learn more about Fire Prevention Week.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Glenn, thank you Sir for a great post.I had no idea that a fire extinguisher should be inverted every so often but as your post explains, it makes perfect sense.

Thank you for a very useful piece of information that could save lives or property. I will consider this post a very nice Christmas gift and hope You and Lorraine and your families all have a wonderful Christmas. All the best from Don and Donna.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is all good information as a one time safety officer in our Air Traffic Control Building we extremely fire safety oriented. Fire around electronic and high voltage equipment is not a good thing. Another thing to consider is the toxic fumes generated by the materials in our campers particularly in the rather small enclosed area of a camper. I have never seen any data on that. These fumes/smoke can kill far before the fire reaches you.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In such a confined space as our RVs it doesn't much matter what the fumes are. Smoke inhalation is the number 1 killer in fire related deaths. Most people are already dead by the time the fire actually gets to them. As smoke rises, it is recommended you stay as close to the floor as you possibly can. Even crawling on your belly if you have to. Smoke rising is why smoke detectors are mounted on the ceiling or about 10 to 12 inches down from the ceiling if on a wall.
Our Monty only has the one smoke detector and that one is in the living area. If you are in the habit of closing the bedroom door at night than you should also have another in the bedroom. Now this may sound crazy but one in each of the basement compartments wouldn't hurt either.
AND don't be like the guy that got 2 smoke detectors for Christmas. The following June we were called to his house for a fire in the kitchen. We got there quick and had a quick knockdown. The actual fire damage was minimal but the smoke damage was high. As we were clearing the smoke from the house we heard a beeping noise. After a bit of investigating we found both of the Christmas presents beeping away in a closet on the first floor. The homeowner apologised said he just didn't have time to hang them. We, the fire dept, hung them for him.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks Glen. Very important information there. We will check ours.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good points Glenn - all of them.

I saw a new type of battery operated smoke detector at Home Depot that will actually transmit a wireless signal to other nearby detectors to activate the sounder in all of them. That would be ideal for the basement installations - and no wiring required.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks for all the good info. I'm going to get a larger ABC type instrument and check and all the ones I have on a regular basis. Gonna do the bump thing too. Also going to check all the wiring and fix any potential problems. If we have a fire we will quickly check to see if we can extinguish it. If not then OUT we go! We will get out quickly. One way or another.

We appreciate all the good info given in this thread.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Glenn, Holy Crap! Are you kidding me? I spent 17 years in the volunteer fire service right here in Elkhart County! We missed a perfect opportunity at the rally in Goshen. I could have taken you to a brand spanking new station that is one of the busiest Departments in Northern Indiana filled with some of the finest pieces of apparatus' setting in a barn. I'd bet you and I could have set around one of those campfires and swapped war stories for hours!! The next time we see each other, that is exactly what we should do.

Now that I think about it.....seeing you at the rally explains a lot of things! ( he he)
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
Glen thank you for shareing this info with us. now ineed to get me more smoke detecter's for the monty. and check the fire extinguisher.
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Good points Glenn - all of them.

I saw a new type of battery operated smoke detector at Home Depot that will actually transmit a wireless signal to other nearby detectors to activate the sounder in all of them. That would be ideal for the basement installations - and no wiring required.
Wasn't aware of the wireless detectors. They are something I will definitely look into when I get our new rig.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:10 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF2

Glenn, Holy Crap! Are you kidding me? I spent 17 years in the volunteer fire service right here in Elkhart County! We missed a perfect opportunity at the rally in Goshen. I could have taken you to a brand spanking new station that is one of the busiest Departments in Northern Indiana filled with some of the finest pieces of apparatus' setting in a barn. I'd bet you and I could have set around one of those campfires and swapped war stories for hours!! The next time we see each other, that is exactly what we should do.

Now that I think about it.....seeing you at the rally explains a lot of things! ( he he)
Dale, I look forward to our next meeting.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Excellent post Glen.

As a former Safety Officer, I can only reinforce what Glen says.

If you ever get the chance to practice on a live fire, take it. (might be a good activity for a rally if we could find the ways and means).

The 2-1/2lb extinguisher will only last a matter of seconds, GET EVERYONE OUT!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:59 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John - Excellent point. I used to give live fire training to industrial office workers to meet OSHA requirements. The results were discouraging -
  • After lecture instruction, a lot of folks would panic and could not remember how to get the pin out of the valve
  • Most stood so far away, the agent discharged several feet from the source of the fire and was ineffective
  • Many got so close they blew the burning liquid all over the place from the nozzle pressure, causing a much worse fire
I look at the extinguishers as a life saving tool to use ONLY if I can't get a clear path outside for me and my family. Beyond that, they can stay on the wall. I keep an unopened box of baking soda in the kitchen for that occassional pan or oven fire, and the rest I choose water. I can throw a lot of water from the faucet to put out a trash can.

I've also seen the results of discharging a 5lb or 10lb dry chemical extinguisher. The powder is designed to go everywhere and everywhere it does go. Unfortunately it is quite corrosive to electrical contacts, moving parts, electrical windings, and even interior finish. Using it on instinct for a simple pan fire or trash can fire may leave you with several thousands of dollars worth of damage you could have avoided by not over-reacting. Keep it simple and remember your only objective is to get your family and yourself out of harms way.

I got this as a gag gift Gag Gift Photo
I keep it in the basement with a 50' collapsable hose, primarily for rinsing off the boat or windows. That is my offensive "save the trailer" tool if I decide I can effectively get the fire out without getting trapped. As a retired FF, I can do a lot more good with campsite water than I can with any size extinguisher, even if it means soaking down my neighbor while my trailer burns to the ground.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #18
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Brad, Glenn and John, that would be an excellent idea! I would be willimg to help set up a training like that sometime. Thing is, with a new job and not working for Lippert any more, I don't know when I'll be attending a rally next.

Brad, that is part of the reason there is a 50' section of charged hose coiled up infront of my coach alsmost all of the time. I never know when I or one of my neighbors will need it! And, if you ever look at the nozzle laying on the ground, it will most generally be on a wide spray pattern as opposed to a straight stream.

Am I right, Glenn?
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF2

Brad, that is part of the reason there is a 50' section of charged hose coiled up infront of my coach alsmost all of the time. I never know when I or one of my neighbors will need it! And, if you ever look at the nozzle laying on the ground, it will most generally be on a wide spray pattern as opposed to a straight stream.

Am I right, Glenn?
Same here but it's only 25'.

Fog or straight stream depends on the situation. If I was attempting an entry to perform a rescue I'd want a wide fog pattern but for a surround and drown I'd probably use a straight stream. Of course with an RV it would probably be the latter of the two.