Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
5Th airborne pin box

Has anyone had any experience with the 5th airborne replacement pinbox on a Montana? Thinking of this for the Monty to smooth out the ride on those wonderful roads we have out there.

Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Paul,
I just replaced the stock pin box with the 5th airborne. I took the Monty for a short spin on the hwy and I could definitely feel a difference.I left a roll of paper towels standing upward on the counter top and it did not move an inch. The 5th airborne was shipped from Quest Technologies next day after placing an order. Installation was a little bit tricky because I did it myself and I had to use a hydraulic jack to spread the trailer mounts a little bit. One problem I have is that air bag pressure should be between 60 and 100 psi and I could only get 55 psi. I contacted tech support and they promised to send me a smaller air bag. The Fourth of July weekend I am going camping to Pennsylvania and then I will know better how this new pin box is behaving.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
What are we looking at for prices in comparison to the trail air, mor ride, and glide ride.

I think the trailair was priced around $800 but last time I looked I "think" the price went up to something like $1200. But I've been wrong before. I don't remember what the mor ride cost and I haven't looked into the glide ride enough to get into pricing. What about the other one mentioned here a while ago. (I just searched and found it) The Isolator Pin Box (country Moc-191) owns one.

Complete replacement for hitch (approx $2400) way too expensive!
The trailsaver hitch
The Easy Rider 5th Wheel (No sliding hitch)
There is also Air Safe Hitches (head for sliding hitch)

It sure would be nice to take each one out for a test ride. Test track style. Would make an interesting rally event however unlikely.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
The 5th airborne is $795 from the manufacturer and I think $95 in shipping to California. If you get it from a dealer you save the shipping.

Thanks for the info on the hitch. I talked to the factory and the air bag can be filled with nitrogen to increase the air pressure is what I was told. It seems the Montanas have a lower pin weight than other 5vers.
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Yes, they told me that I can use antifreeze to fill a bag half way and
then add air to the recomended pressure.
Every pin box comes with 60 days return policy if you are not satisfied.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Paul I Just installed a Trailair. Cost was just over $1000. with shipping. I have only towed about 50 miles with it but the difference in that short distance was amazing. It was really something to watch the movement in the rear view mirror.
I also installed it myself with help from Joy. Had to run and get a torque wrench as mine went to 150 and needed 210.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I like the looks of the 5th Airborne. I like the compact design and that all the mechanism is in the pinbox. I like that it is all enclosed. I like their claim that it handles both horizonal and vertical movement. I know that Mor-Ryde basically addresses the horizonal movement. In comparison to the competition, I also like the price. From the sound of it, it is a doable do-it-yourself item.

The questions I have relate to durability. Are both the airbag and the shock absorber long lived? What is the length of warranty?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We recently had the TrailAir Pin box installed at Walnut Ridge in New Castle IN. $999.00 Installed - out the door complete with air in bag. They told me there was no charge for airing up the bag but as I looked at the receipt, I think it is built into some hidden price.
All I can say is - it has made a difference - horzional and vertical movement.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
The airbag is Firestone bag and spoused to last 5000000 miles as for a shock absorber it is covered by the manufacturers warranty and is also available at any Napa store. As for the installation the pin box is very heavy and bulky to handle.
I did it my self but if you have someone to give you a hand that would be good.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

We recently had the TrailAir Pin box installed at Walnut Ridge in New Castle IN. $999.00 Installed - out the door complete with air in bag. They told me there was no charge for airing up the bag but as I looked at the receipt, I think it is built into some hidden price.
All I can say is - it has made a difference - horzional and vertical movement.
Phill, I am curious... do you have the 2006 with the Mor/Ryde suspension? Or did you purchase yours before they started putting those on as standard equipment?

Just wondering what the difference in ride is with the "before" and "after" units, and if this new Mor/Ryde suspension might negate some need for a air pin box? Guess I'm curious to hear from someone who has a 2006.5 (Mor/Ryde suspension) who could give a "before" and "after" report of an air pin box install. Also... is there anyone who could report on just the difference in ride between the Montana "pre" and "post" Mor/Ryde suspension difference?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Dave, I have the 2006.5 with the Mor/ryde suspension on the trailer.
All I know is I was taking some pretty solid hits on the back of the pickup, but the TrailAir pin box has smoothed some of them out. You can now see movement of the trailer in the rear view mirror and no movement of the bed of the pickup. Even on hard breaking you see the billows and shock absorber go down before it is felt in the pickup and a lot of the washboard effect is going away. Don't get me wrong - on a bad road you are still going to feel it but not as severe. JMHO.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So the Mor/Ryde suspension does not really help the "chucking"? Also, some are saying - I thought - that they were leaving items on their tables/counters with the new Mor/Ryde and they were riding well. Just trying to figure how much extra the air pin boxes add to the already smoother ride of the Mor/Ryde suspension. You are saying that there is quite a bit of difference, I take it, Phill. Did putting the Mor/Ryde on the Montana help very much at all, then?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have the Glide Ride from Demco, along with the Mor-Ryde suspension (2006.5 3400RL). In the 5000 miles we have pulled the 5er, nothing, I repeat NOTHING, has fallen or moved in the 5er, and we have been on some pretty baaaad roads.

The cost is about $750 from Demco. I highly recommend it.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I find it interesting that some who have the Mor-Ryde suspension are still having to use some type of pin box attachment. We had the axles on our 2000 Montana replaced with 7,000 lb Mor-Ryde Individual Suspension axles and don't get the pounding and chucking that others are talking about. I think it's probably due to the hitch I have in the truck.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
We have added the 5th Airborne, and it made a huge difference. We have not had a lot of opportunity to use it, and we don't have experience with other brands, but our ride is now very smooth. We only paid $750 installed.
We love it.
therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:07 AM   #16
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Does any one have the web site for the 5th airborne pin box

thanks
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:13 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
http://www.fifthairborne.com/

Their PDF brochure is basically the web site page you see.
The web site isn't as polished as some of the other manufacturers
Old 07-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Read the post on the TRAILER LIFE web site in 5th wheels about the airborne pin box, I think the dealer had one he wanted to unload and not the fault of 5th airborne
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote