Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Sharmanclan
Established Member

M.O.C. #23552
Chevrolet/GMC Trailer Camera Capability

Hi folks,
We just purchased a 2021 Silverado 2500HD which has the built in capability for a trailer camera. Has anyone added the GM version to the rear of their 5er and integrated it through the truck (how do you wire it, etc)?

Just looking for any experiences and information if anyone has tried it.

Thanks all.

Andrew

Sharmanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
I am watching this post and am interested in the Chevy trailer camera too... Anyone??

I did get my truck to communicate with the iN-Command system through bluetooth on my iphone so I have basic controls on the screen in my truck. I can start the A/C or heat while travelling

Thanks, Mike
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:29 AM   #3
DTH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26146
My experience was not good. Camera would freeze and would not come back on until truck was shut off and re-started. When this happened, it also killed all other electronic functions on the dash screen. Also had problem with EOH brake actuator on legacy model. GMC dealer was not able to correct even when they witnessed this going on. I feel like I paid a premium price for advanced electronics and they would not perform as advertised.

I have since read reports that GM trucks are not delivering adequate voltage to the 7 way connector causing problems? Report I read showed only 7 volts at the connector.

I gave up trying to get a new truck to work properly and traded. I wanted to spend time camping not at the dealer.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
Lazy Ike

M.O.C. #26761
DTH, I have a 2018 Silverado 3500 and added the trailer camera to my system. My truck has the cameras on the mirrors to show down the side of truck, the bed camera and the tailgate camera. The Echomaster RVC-W2 is the camera and receiver that works with the Chevrolet system. Your on screen display should show a blank screen for the trailer view and if it does this is the camera. It has a wireless receiver that mounts in the back window and hard wires to the monitor in the dash. I found it on Amazon for $249.
Lazy Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Andrew, you will need the brake adapter so that your Chevy truck will work with the electric-over-hydraulic braking system. I am using this one and is working fine so far:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/HBA-CAM.html
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
EdH

M.O.C. #28962
I'm just getting to installing the trailer camera for our 2021 Silverado 3500HD. Looks like wiring will be easy on our fifth wheel. I'm just concerned about mounting. Unsure if I want to drill thru the shell, and if I did, how to get to the bolts on the other side.

I think I read the max trailer length for the camera was 30ft, although the cable is over 50ft. Our camper is just over 40. I assume this will affect the stitching and possibly the red zone that is superimposed on the side view camera when signaling a lane change.

2018 Keystone Montana 3950BR
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote