Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
Front stabilizer jack motor

I extended my legs out too far and the motor stopped. It won't do anything. I can't find a fuse for it. I can't believe that ruined the motor but maybe. Any ideas?

Dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthogey View Post
I extended my legs out too far and the motor stopped. It won't do anything. I can't find a fuse for it. I can't believe that ruined the motor but maybe. Any ideas?
The legs may be in a bind in the bevel gears on top of each leg. Take the manual crank and see if you can lower it some. The motor may be able to turn it if it gets freed up a bit.

Also, check to make sure the motor is getting power through the power wires going to it. Some have an inline fuse while others have a resetting breaker. Either could be bad.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
The legs may be in a bind in the bevel gears on top of each leg. Take the manual crank and see if you can lower it some. The motor may be able to turn it if it gets freed up a bit.

Also, check to make sure the motor is getting power through the power wires going to it. Some have an inline fuse while others have a resetting breaker. Either could be bad.
I cranked them up and down. I actually got the truck under it and got all the weight off, that didn't work. I don't have a test light with me, i may go buy one. I could not find an inline fuse and am not sure about the resetting breaker. How long does it take for a resetting breaker to reset?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Usually about 3-5 seconds, however sometimes when they open to break the connection, the posts actually pop out of the housing which will not allow them to reset. Attached is a pic of what you are looking for. It may be a different color, but basically the same. If you look at the crimps on the housing, sometimes they break and will not allow them to work. This may be a very simple problem. But, if by chance it is the motor. you can buy them quickly from a couple of places like Etrailer.com .
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
Quote:
Usually about 3-5 seconds, however sometimes when they open to break the connection, the posts actually pop out of the housing which will not allow them to reset. Attached is a pic of what you are looking for. It may be a different color, but basically the same. If you look at the crimps on the housing, sometimes they break and will not allow them to work. This may be a very simple problem. But, if by chance it is the motor. you can buy them quickly from a couple of places like Etrailer.com .
So I need to get a new one of these things and try that first.

Thank you!

2008 Montana Mountaineer 319bh
2015 GMC 2500hd Duramax
Old 09-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
There is a way to see if the motor is still good. Find that breaker after following the wires from the motor and take the two wires off of it and have someone hold the motor switch in either position as you touch the wires together. Be ready as it may spark. If the motor actuates or turns, then it will be the breaker that is bad. That little breaker has caused many people fits over the years! I am sincerely hoping this is your problem.Most are 40A breakers. Some are 30A and some are 50A. If you remove the breaker from the wall, and take if off the leads, you should see the stamp or writing on it to tell you what amperage it is. I have two spares of all of them 30A, 40A and 50A as they go bad a lot more frequently than you think. One of the reasons they go bad is low battery voltage. I use two identical batteries hooked in series to help stop this. By the way, these breakers are only about $4 a piece.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
well this is embarrassing. After work I went back to the camper to look at the line a Little Closer, I found a 30 amp fuse on the backside of the line. I just didn't look good enough yesterday. It is a flat 30 amp fuse blown. I installed a new fuse and all is good now. Thank you for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_152528.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_152536.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	540  
Old 09-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
No problem at all. However, all that we just talked about will come in handy in the future I can promise you. Go ahead and get you a couple of the resetting breakers. You will need them. Do not be embarrassed at all. This is what this forum is here for. I thought all had an inline fuse at one time or another, but have seen many that have taken them out in lieu of another breaker. Glad you found the problem. Oh, check your battery voltage as I stated earlier, s slightly discharged battery can blow those fuses as well.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I had SOB that kept on popping that 30 amp inline fuse so often that I thought I was going to have to buy shares in Buss fuses. I finally put in a 40 amp and the problem was solved.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
Well trouble again. The last two times we have camped we had to retract the front jacks quite a bit to get level due to the fact that we were on a very uneven site. When it came time to pack up and leave I had to extend the stabilizers quite a bit to get back to Hitch height. These 30 amp Breakers keep blowing. It only seems to do it while under a load trying to raise the camper back up. I have gone through four Breakers each time. Once I get my truck under the camper I can extend or retract without any trouble. It only blows the breaker when I'm trying to raise the unit back up.

Any ideas? Could my motor be bad? Should I just get some 40 amp Breakers and try those?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Some of the folks here have visited us in Florida and had a ride on my wife steam train. We carry this model steam train in the basement of the Montana and to load and unload it I have to raise the front of the Montana up level with the bed of the tow vehicle.

We experienced many front jack failures the first and second set of jacks was not used like the present set because we were not hauling the train both failed early.

We added the second motor to our unit and when we did I found that the motor I purchased from the front jack manufacturer ran much slower than the motor from Keystone. When I contacted the jack company they advised me that Keystone doesn’t purchase the motor from them. I purchased a second motor from the jack company so both jacks run the same speed.

That was about 5 years ago and I haven’t had electrical breaker or mechanical jack problems sense.

If you consider the heat build up from friction when running a screw jack assembly at a faster speed than the designer designed it for you will have problems. Also the faster speed will require more power from the motor.

They do run a lot slower my wife keeps asking me to make sure they are both running because from the switch panel the off side jack looks like it isn’t moving. LOL

There are problems created by using 2 electric motors and is not recommended by the jack manufacturer. However I have corrected their major concern and if anyone here is going to make this mod you may want to PM me for some advice.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
I had SOB that kept on popping that 30 amp inline fuse so often that I thought I was going to have to buy shares in Buss fuses. I finally put in a 40 amp and the problem was solved.
Mine kept on popping when extending also. Quite often had to use 2 or 3 fuses. Finally put in the 40 amp and the problem went away.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
Mine kept on popping when extending also. Quite often had to use 2 or 3 fuses. Finally put in the 40 amp and the problem went away.
That is one way to do it. And I've done it that way myself. Also, check your battery(ies) as they may not be putting out the proper amperage. They may need to be taken out and charged. Also check the water level in them. Distilled water only!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
Quote:
That is one way to do it. And I've done it that way myself. Also, check your battery(ies) as they may not be putting out the proper amperage. They may need to be taken out and charged. Also check the water level in them. Distilled water only!
Aren't they always being charged when you're plugged in? Both times this happened I was plugged in. I would think the battery would be at full charge. Maybe I do have a bad battery
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthogey View Post
Aren't they always being charged when you're plugged in? Both times this happened I was plugged in. I would think the battery would be at full charge. Maybe I do have a bad battery
That is part of the problem with the marine batteries is that they are always charging. It may have a bad cell in it, or low of water or just a weak one. Sometimes the charger or the converter is what is bad. Take your battery cables loose and out a multimeter on them. You should have right at 13.4v on the positive cable. That would indicate that the charger is good. You can buy a 100A battery tester at Harbor Freight for around $20 that will tell you if your batteries are good or not. It will also tell you if they are weak. If you need to charge them, take them out and put on a bigger charger than the trickle type in the converter.