Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
sliding privacy door track fell down

Any suggestions or experience to share?
The doors were in the closed position and the track and its framing peeled down from the ceiling. Maybe it was never screwed into a roof rafter?
The screws are 1.75'' long and go through the double aluminum track.
The doors don't want to come off the track. Do they have to be unscrewed from the roller brackets?
I've got to remove all the screws and trim nail ends, make new screw holes in the track, but what will keep it from falling down again?
Or my 05 just too old?
Anyone else experiece this with their Bedroom privacy sliding doors?
Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
In my old trailer I had 2 of the pocket style doors and both came loose. If you can get it screwed back up put some extra screws in it. Then depending on your door make some kind of brace for traveling. In my old trailer the doors were only bout an inch off the floor so I got a couple of those rubber wedges used to prop doors open and wedged them under the door. In my Montana the door goes across the steps so there is about 18 inchs of open air. I used 2 pieces of 1x4 and made a prop for the door and a small piece that wedges the door forward to keep it from flopping around. Unless you can get some long screws into something really solid rough road is gonna shake it loose again.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I removed the Aluminum Door Track, fortunately it doesn't appear to be bent.
Keystone Customer Service advised the Ceiling is 3/8" Luan.
I think I will use Construction Adhesive to glue the wood frame/surround to the Ceiling and then screw the track up to/through it to the ceiling. Apparently, besides some brad nailing the only thing holding up the wood framing were the screws from the Track to the ceiling.
I also plan to add an angle bracket at the bed/unsupported end of the frame/track. I wonder what support this will provide from the wall...
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I glued the sagging part of the wood frame and screwed it alone into the ceiling. Then I drilled 10 more screw holes in the Aluminum door track and remounted it slightly offset from the original, stripped entry points for the OEM Screws. My angle bracket plan failed as the wood frame ends too far before the outside wall for it to reach.
I'll wait at least a day before remounting the doors while the glue cures. Hopefully more screws and the frame glued versus just between the Track and Ceiling will prevent another failure.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I would still make a wedge of some sorts to keep the door from flopping around. The more it flops the more it will loosen, something to do with physics.....lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I think we may try stuffing a pillow between the bed and the doors. Not much room there with the slides in. I would have thought that the outside door that pins into the floor for travel and the vinyl strap around both would prevent a lot of movement...