Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #101
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Such nice comments, Lisa. I guess we'd better have a family reunion so you can meet your long lost aunt and uncle. What a lovely title! Thank you.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #102
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Have to admit I'm one of those who has taken to skimming MOC and not posting too much any more due to some posts regarding too much chit chat, too warm and fuzzy, etc. That is what I liked about the forum when I joined - people were friendly and willing to share "the good, the bad and the ugly" without bashing each other. Judy, I for one did not take your start of this thread to mean we should not post our negative experiences. There would be no appreciation for the good things we encounter if we didn't encounter the bumps in the road, and we learn from the negative as well as positive experiences. I monitor a blog on an entirely different subject and lately it has become a vehicle of criticizing and name calling because people state their negative opinions - I don't contribute any more, I just read and shake my head at the rudeness of some folks. I'm not quitting MOC either - we've met too many great folks at the rallies and learned far too much about our Montana to give up on a good thing.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 AM   #103
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you, Sunshine. I hope everyone will have the same clear understanding of my purpose in starting this thread. My reason for stating that we should "counterbalance" the negativity implies that I don't expect the negativity to disappear. It will always be here. It's part of life. A few positive posts will balance the negative issues that are also addressed. And I also hoped that we would draw more folks back to the forum with the hope that the friendly tone of the forum would return.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #104
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Judy,
I can't help but feel that one of my posts contributed to the negativity that led up to this topic. Although it wasn't meant to be a negative topic, I can see after rereading my post that it could be easily misinterpreted. I think in the future I will write out my posts and reread them several times before sending to make sure that it cannot be misunderstood.

I feel that everything cannot be broken down into positive and negative. There is some middle ground. For example, if I post that my muffler bearing blew up, that would not be positive or negative, just a fact of life to deal with. I would hope that someone on the forum could help me through the repairs. Likewise, if I disagreed with a post and replied something to the effect of: "I disagree with what you are saying and here are my reasons why." That is not negative but is fostering open dialog between differing opinions. Some of the differing opinions in this forum have helped me decide which tow vehicle to buy and have given me good advice on which model and options to choose when I buy the Montana. On the other hand, if I called the poster an idiot for not thinking my way, I should think that the wrath of the administrators should descend and I should expect to face a firing squad at dawn and my uncalled for negative post should be deleted.

Facts of life and differing opinions should be welcome and openly discussed. Name calling and put downs should be banned. If anyone has a differing opinion, I hope that open debate is welcome.
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #105
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well said, Don. My motivation in starting this thread was not a result of any one post or any one person. My intention was not to criticize or discourage anyone from sharing their problems, accidents, misfortunes, or equipment failures. We all learn from those experiences and often find a solution to problems because of those posts. We've had and posted about problems ourselves. The thing that has changed is how members are treating other members through their responses.

This thread was started as a means to merely open some dialogue about the positive side of Montana ownership specifically and RVing in general. Glen and I are personally very thankful for the opportunity to own and travel in our Monty. It's fun to hear of the positive experiences of other RVers.

I never dreamt that an attempt to be positive would meet with criticism and be such a source of stress.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #106
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
If you wrote that your muffler blew up and Keystone had better do something or else cause this is a piece of junk, that would be a negative post. If you wrote that your muffler blew up and does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it, then that is a request for help or advice. I think that this is the difference we are talking about. And your example of calling someone an idiot if you disagree is also a good example. We can disagree in a polite manner. Maybe this is what we can come to, politeness and respect.
I know, Keystone has nothing to do with mufflers, I was just trying to give an example.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #107
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
There are many good comments in this thread. I think it is a good sign that some are posting who have not posted in awhile. It says we are trying to move in the right direction.

Don summed it up very well in his post as did several other people.

The guideline I will use is that we all treat each other with respect. If we can do that this will be a good place to be again. It is ok to disagree. But do it with tact and grace. Respect.

HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #108
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Sue,
I agree with you. It's all in how you approach the disagreement. I have learned so much from reading the differing points of view expressed in this forum. It sure would be boring if everyone thought the same. By the way, are you sure that a Montana doesn't have a muffler bearing?
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #109
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
This forum does not have the room to post all that is good about my Monty, my dealer, or Keystones service. Beside I think that most of you have already had these experiences. I know that when I read some of the other comments "been there done that" comes to mind.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #110
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don,
If I knew what a muffler bearing was, I would tell you! LOL
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #111
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Sue ,the muffler bearing right under the kitchen slide next to the oil drain plug!! gosh thought every one knew that hehe
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #112
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
As an admin of a computer tech forum that has a global member base, there are many instances of expression being interpreted in different ways. It is almost hard to comprehend until you see it in action.
What is matter of fact for some is an insult to others because of different cultures and the way ideas are expressed.
At least in this forum we are on the same continent, and I would assume largely English speaking as the native language. Certainly we do have different cultures, backgrounds, and our own nuances in communicating.
Such a broad base of experience we have, experts in many different fields, and we all have our own experiences to draw from and share with others. There is so much good here.
I have learned a ton since being active and I appreciate reading of others experiences. I may not always agree, but continue to read with an open mind and hopefully will learn a few things.
I definitely agree with HomeOnTheRoad in regard to respect and tact. You don't always have to agree (discussion is what forums are for), but treating others with respect and using a little tact in posting goes a long ways. Being able to share differing opinions while keeping things positive is a real key to further participation.
There - the kid threw in his two pennies...

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #113
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Wow, Judy.....Can you believe all these great responses. I have to admit that I am one who reads a lot on the forum, but I seldom post. We actually joined the forum way before we ordered our Montana in Feb.2006, in order to learn as much as possible. We found so much great information and even the PDI list that we used when our coach arrived. I have to admit I have been a little discouraged by some of the responses, so I chose to read rather than post. I realize that is not the right direction.
We love our Montana 3400. It is everything we hoped it would be. We have traveled to 13 states since Sept. We have not had any major issues, and Keystone is assisting us in taking care of the minor ones. Unfortunately, our dealer in WA. has not come through for us, and that was a huge disappointment.
We have met so many wonderful friends from this forum, and learned so much. Thank you all for the great contributions.
Keep up the great posts.
Gene & Shirley
therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #114
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Great to see you post Gene and Shirley. We have been wondering where you were. I see you are keeping good company now. Remember to watch Judy though if you are playing Mexican Train. You know what her reputation is. LOL

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 AM   #115
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, how could you?!! My reputation precedes me wherever I go. We will definitely be testing it out with Gene and Shirley. I already failed the first test and won the first round. Does this comment fit into this topic? It sure does because some of the best times we've had in our Montana have been spent playing this silly little, addictive game. What great fun and fellowship. It wouldn't have been possible if we were not traveling in our Montana.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 AM   #116
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
As you may guess we played Mexican Train with Judy in Quartzsite and guess who was winning when we had to stop the game? We would never have learned to play this game or even meet Judy and Glen if it wasn't for this great forum. We have been traveling for two weeks now with the nicest bunch of MOC people and we are having a wonderful time. We are waiting for the day when we can all get together again and finish that game Judy.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #117
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That is a true travesty, isn't it, Doug, to leave the circle with an unfinished game of Mexican Train? I'm not sure you needed to tell everybody I was winning.... LOL! We really enjoyed traveling with all of you!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 AM   #118
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Just wanted to say that this forum has helped us alot and we have learned so much more here than we could of learned anywhere else!
Thanks to all members of the MOC!!!
This is a super good post Judy...Thanks so much!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #119
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
I guess that I need to put in my two cents worth. Thanks for starting this thread. I have been a member for a long time and have enjoyed all the posts. Have not met many MOCers yet but am looking forward to doing so at the Good Sam National Rally. This forum has taught me many things and has helped me stay away from the not so good things. Thanks people for making this the greatest forum and making me feel as one of the family.
Don, one thing, I went to the Monty today to check on my muffler bearing and I must have lost mine cause I could not find it! I will need to check with my dealer to see if he can get me a replacement. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Oh well.

Paul
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #120
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for your post, Paul. One of the best things about owning a Monty is meeting new friends wherever you go. Ownership seems to instantly label us all as family and this forum seals that bond. It's a wonderful benefit.