Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
Foul smell

Hey everyone,
I have been having issues with a very foul smell coming from the bathroom. I dont know how to remedy. I emptied the tanks after last trip and smell was horrendous when setting camper up on next trip.
The tank indicator shows black tank full though but not sure how thats possible as I emptied it the best I know how.
Any help?

normchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Are you in Kingsland, TX? After dumping your black tank did you use the tank flush and let it drain? Did you add some deodorizing tabs with a few gallons of water?
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
RoadRunnerTR21

Thanks for replying, I did use the deodorizing tablets with water but have not done a tank flush. Any additional info?
Old 10-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
If you're tank dumping hasn't been with ample amounts of water you might have build-up left in the tank. I've had that before and you're right...it stinks. I used a 5 gallon bucket and loaded 7-8 gallons of water in the black tank along with a couple black tank tablets (use whatever you've got) and let it slosh around from home to our next camping trip. That did the trick. I added more water at the camp site and dumped it. No more smell.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I fill the tank before I empty at the dump station, fill about half full before I start for home. When I get home I let it set a few days and then dump in my dump station and refill then let it sit for a couple or 3 weeks then dump again.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
RoadrunnerTR21 - he is from Kingsland, Georgia...you had me there for a minute - wondering if maybe there were foul smells in Kingsland TX...maybe in a hot summer when the lake is low!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
RoadrunnerTR21 - he is from Kingsland, Georgia...you had me there for a minute - wondering if maybe there were foul smells in Kingsland TX...maybe in a hot summer when the lake is low!

Not at the moment....my sister would let me know!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My friend had a cracked toilet that let in black tank stink.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
First of all could you please post what year and model Montana you have. It is difficult to give help if we don't know what you have and how it is equipped. Hopefully, you are using plenty of water when you are flushing the toilet. If not, you could have built up the "dreaded pyramid" of waste and paper. If this is the case, you will need to get that broke down and rinse it out before the smell will go away. Don't go by your gauges showing the level of your tanks. They are notorious at being wrong. All it takes is a piece of waste or paper to settle on the probe and dry and it registers that level until it become dislodged. I have been using Happy Camper in all my tanks for the past 8+ years now and have had no problems with smell or solids not breaking down. During dumping I run my tank flush while dumping and also shut the valve and run the tank flush for about 7 minutes then pull the handle again and flush the tanks again. After dumping the black tank, I add a couple scoops of Happy Camper and about 5 gallons of water in the tank. Then dump the two gray tanks to rinse the hose out.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #10
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
It's probably the valve under the bathroom sink that has gone bad. It's an anti siphon valve in your black tank flush line. Black tank odor is escaping through that valve.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:27 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If you're in Kingsland, GA, you are right up the road from me. Are you sure the smell isn't coming from the paper mill?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:03 AM   #12
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

I was in Kingsland, TX 2 weeks ago. I was going to give him a contact that might be able to help him out. No foul smells in Kingsland, TX. Just watch out for the deer scat when walking.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
It's probably the valve under the bathroom sink that has gone bad. It's an anti siphon valve in your black tank flush line. Black tank odor is escaping through that valve.
You are confusing two different items as one here. Sorry.

The black tank flush (water) line has an anti-siphon valve on it. When they go bad, there is simply no water that passes that point. They can go bad by having the smallest particle clog them.

The other item is the air admittance vent under the sink. The air admittance vent (that black thing on the end of the pipe under the sink) can go bad also and allow odors to escape from the tank.

The only problem is.... the air admittance valve is the air vent for your grey tank (sink and shower). The vent for the black tank runs to the roof.

It's possible the OP is getting smells from the grey tank and the air admittance valve (vent) under the sink has failed. If this is the possible culprit, and easy way to figure it out, is to simply slip a plastic baggie over the end of that vent and tape it tight shut for a short while. If the smells go away, there is the problem. If not, the problem is somewhere else.

If the black tank anti-syphon valve emits odor, it will also spew water everywhere.

If neither of these are the issue, then simply washing the black tank is in order. As stated above, simply drain your black tank completely. Flush it the best you can. After finished, add about 5-10 gallons of water. You can also add a cup of bleach, laundry soap, Dawn Dishwashing liquid, Calgon, Pine Sol, or any other type of household cleaner that would normally be dumped down the drain or toilet. Add it to the black tank and go for a road trip. The sloshing will clean the tank. Dump again as soon as possible.

Do this every trip and your tank will never have smells.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
You are confusing two different items as one here. Sorry.

The black tank flush (water) line has an anti-siphon valve on it. When they go bad, there is simply no water that passes that point. They can go bad by having the smallest particle clog them.

The other item is the air admittance vent under the sink. The air admittance vent (that black thing on the end of the pipe under the sink) can go bad also and allow odors to escape from the tank.

The only problem is.... the air admittance valve is the air vent for your grey tank (sink and shower). The vent for the black tank runs to the roof.

It's possible the OP is getting smells from the grey tank and the air admittance valve (vent) under the sink has failed. If this is the possible culprit, and easy way to figure it out, is to simply slip a plastic baggie over the end of that vent and tape it tight shut for a short while. If the smells go away, there is the problem. If not, the problem is somewhere else.

If the black tank anti-syphon valve emits odor, it will also spew water everywhere.
I think you might be confused. The valve under the bathroom sink has nothing to do with the gray tank. It is in the black tank flush line only. No air admittance, no roof vent, etc. It can leak water. It can let black tank odors escape. It can do both at the same time or independently. I know from personal experience. When flushing the black tank I would get sewer odor in the rv coming from the bathroom. Removed the valve, shark bite the line back together, put anti siphon valve at the black tank flush inlet in the convenience center and no more odors.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
Lol they closed that mill 20 years ago
Old 10-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Another, uncommon but potential, cause. Are you plumbed for a washer dryer? Do you have a washer dryer installed? If no washer/dryer then the problem is most likely stagnate water in the water lines feeding the washer.

Flush out the lines and the smell will disappear.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #17
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
Carl n Susan

I do have an unused washer hookup. I will run a hose from the connection and flush. Thats a great suggestion.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #18
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
Yes I just flushed and it took a good bit of flushing to run clear. Hope that does the trick. Better habits are in order.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #19
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
Good habits
Old 10-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #20
normchevy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27414
DutchmenSport

I dont have any anti syphon valves at all. I did do a thorough flush and will be very aggressive next time out to rinse and flush. If that dont work, it may be time for a better roof vent.