Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
Sportster64

M.O.C. #27356
Looking at used 3400RL

Looking at a used 2007 3400RL.
Want to use this in the winter On my private land, on weekends for snowmobiling at my camp only. Gets down to 10 degrees on nights, and can probably expect upwards of 3 feet of snow on trailer when I arrive on the weekend to use it, I do have electric available on my lot, and my neighbor has running water available, so
Is this camper capable of my mission ?
If so, what should I look for, owner claims no leaks.
It does have the Arctic package
Concerned with snow load, since I couldn’t clean it till weekends

Sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
You will need to keep the heater running full time to keep the water pipes from freezing. That means using a lot of propane. Two propane tanks that are in the Montana probably will not make it between visits, so you will need an external propane tank. Local propane supplier shoild be able to supply tank. I have no idea about snow load.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Sportster64

M.O.C. #27356
I was thinking I could use a compressor and blow the lines out before I leave at the end of a weekend ?
Sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster64 View Post
I was thinking I could use a compressor and blow the lines out before I leave at the end of a weekend ?
What about the grey and black holding tanks? You don't want them to freeze with their respective contents. Perhaps a tote to empty them and then add some antifreeze to tanks so residual "materials" won't freeze.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If you can get it at the right price go for it. Snow load should not be an issue. No reason you should not be able to blow lines every weekend. You might consider a couple of electric ceramic heaters during the week to keep the inside temp up above freezing and wait until the weekend to run your furnace.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If it were me, I'd be putting a skirting around the bottom of the unit if you buy it. I'd use the pink rigid foam sheeting and about 2 1/2 or 3" thick and secure it somehow from the ground to under the unit or frame, fitting tight against both. I'd also put one or two thermostatically controlled electrical heaters under the unit to keep the pipes from freezing because even by blowing the lines out you will not be able to totally get all water out of them. The heaters would also help to keep the black and gray tanks from freezing or you could also put tank heaters on each tank also. These are like heating pads that connect to the bottom of each tank and are thermostatically controlled also. Concerning the 3400 itself, be sure to inspect it very closely to see if there have been any water leaks anywhere in the unit. You can find several PDI lists here on the Forum by typing PDI in the Search engine at the top of the main page. You won't be able to use all of it but it will give you a good idea on what to check prior to buying the 3400.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I’d skirt it and get a large propane tank delivered and set up. Put a remote thermometer under the trailer for monitor - When you’re there run electric heaters inside and keep your furnace set for 50 to 55 degrees and keep an eye on your under trailer temp, if it drops down adjust your thermostat so that the furnace will run. At night, we shut the bedroom door and use electric and keep the furnace set as above. Important to shut door and not heat the main room , so that the furnace will run and keep the tanks and pipes warm. Keep your tank values closed, until dumping, unless you wrap/insulate your sewer line. Use a heat cable on your freeze proof (lol) water hookup - wrap the pipe and the faucet.

Depending on how long you’ll be away from your trailer - either leave the propane furnace on or winterize it.

I like winter camping - not near the crowds. — Good luck.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote