Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #61
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I have a 2007 3400RL that we ordered and took delivery in July of 2006. The rig has been sheltered most of the time and stored under cover a lot of the time. The "Montana" on the nose is peeling, and we have had the trailer professionally detailed three times since we have owned it. I contacted Keystone and they said they "might" supply replacement decals as a "goodwill gesture", but the installation would be on me. I have contacted two local reputable RV shops and they quoted 300-400 for the labor. I have some heartburn about paying to advertise for Montana. With all the posts I have seen about Keystone's "exemplary" customer service I am very disappointed. This reminds me of a 1986 Suburban I owned that was light blue on the top and bottom and silver on the sides. That model with that paint job had a defect in the paint priming process that caused the paint (blue on the roof and hood) to peel prematurely. By the time GM admitted they had a problem I had already paid (almost 20 yrs. ago) $2000+ for a new paint job. GM finally agreed to repaint the affected vehicles. I have not, and will not, EVER buy a GM vehicle again, as they declined to reimburse me even $.01 towards my paint job. I know at least twenty (previous) Suburban owners that had the same experience and feel as I do. Keystone should wise up and fix this problem, IMHO. I wouldn't feel this way if my rig was older or had sat out for a period of time.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #62
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have the exact same problem - "Montana" on nose ONLY is peeling. All other decals are fine which is suspicious. Guess what I have? A 2007 3400RL that I took delivery of in July 2006. What a coincidence...

Steve R. took delivery of his 2007 3400RL in August 2006. Wonder what his looks like. Steve are you out there???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #63
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Keystone must have different vendors for the same decals. Some RVs are outside all the time and the decals last for years, others are protected and peal in a year or so.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #64
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Our Monty is a late 2003 and has been outside sense we bought it as we are full timers. The one on the curb side started to peal about a year ago, but the one on the cap just started pealing in the last week. We arrived here in east TX last Sat. and it has rained a couple of time's I am sure that the weather has had a lot to do with it. I believe that we will just remove the ones pealing and try and make it look as good as we can, with everything going up like it is decals are not in our budget at this time.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #65
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I just replaced the front and driver side decals on my 01. Montana did not have the mountain part of the side decal and they said when they are gone they are gone. They only carry a few and do not reorder them because they said minimum order for them is 50.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #66
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
For those of you needing an alternative to Keystone Graphics try www.dontdriveugly.com The owners (brothers) can make replacement decals also. Spendy but an alternative still...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #67
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Do you have peeling graphics and want to do something about it?

If ANYONE has peeling graphics and is wanting to do something about them, I urge you to go spend 10 minutes and click on the two links below and read the threads in order, in their entirety about peeling graphics.

Pay close attention to our posts and what we went through. You'll notice a very happy conclusion for us and also for HamRad regarding peeling graphics.

A very nice man (Don Jacobs) at the ONLY company (Burlington Graphics) that has made the graphics for the Keystone Montana line is waiting to help anyone wanting to inquire about repairing or replacing their graphics. You have nothing to lose by contacting him and talking with him. There might be a cost for you, and there might not be a cost for you.

We have a 2002 Montana and needed a whole new set of graphics. We are happy campers with what Burlington did for us. I urge you to not just talk about it here, but take action, read the threads and get a hold of Don Jacobs. His contact information is in the threads.

You know the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".
I've done all the research and it's been posted here for almost a month now. If you have peeling graphics and don't use this information......*shrug*

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28114

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29015

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #68
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thank you Doug. As I mentioned earlier (on your 2nd link), even though I was about 9 months past my one year warranty, Keystone/Montana graciously sent me a new "Montana" graphic for free.

However, as I have been reading, there may have been a particular problem with that particular graphic during that particular time period of production. Since then I have discovered that I am NOT the only one that has a badly peeling Montana while the remaining decals/graphics show absolutely no wear or peeling, I am now highly suspicious that this is not "normal wear and tear". It seems it was a specific defect of that decal only. For my situation anyway - and anyone else that had that Montana's built during this time period (summer of 2006).

If this is the case, the labor should also be furnished/reimbursed by Keystone.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 AM   #69
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
I have an "05" 3670RL and the decals are peeling all over it, does anyone have a name and number to contact the person at Keystone that would take care of the decal replacement?
Thanks
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #70
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mperk,

If you go to page 3 in this topic you will find the number. It is about half way down.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #71
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I did receive a replacement decal as did dsprik, but the Keystone person I contacted made it very clear that, as we were out of warranty (by only a few months) that it would be a "goodwill gesture" and that labor would NOT be furnished. I think I will sit tight for now, as I have received quotes of $300-400+ for the labor. I have major heartburn about spending that amount of $$$ just to advertise for Keystone. Has anyone removed the Montana name and left your rig naked? This whole incident reminds me of a 1986 GMC Suburban that I owned that was light blue top and bottom with grey sides. That particular color scheme (very popular in the 80's) had a large number of vehicles that had the paint peel down to the primer coat on the blue sections. GM eventually paid to have a number of vehicles repainted at GM's expense (I had two employees that each owned one and had it done), even though it was many years after the factory warranties expired. By the time they got around to me I was sick and tired of looking at the peeling paint and wanted to protect my investment so I had already had the truck repainted at my expense. Do you think GM was willing to contribute anything towards my paint job, even though I had numerous pictures and statements from the body shop detailing the problem? Of course not. Do you think I would ever buy any GM vehicle again? OF COURSE NOT. As a first time fifth wheel owner I would be willing to bet that this problem will eventually come back and bite Keystone, as I already have had people look at my trailer in parks and on the road who have asked me how come the trailer looks so good (I have it professionally detailed every 3-4 months and it is stored under cover when not in use) but the front graphic is peeling. Just my $.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #72
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I have a 2004 and have no problem as yet of peeling decals. Keeping my fingers crossed and I have always kept mine waxed. but in this park there is a 2002 monty, a 2006 monty, a 2007 monty with peeling decals. the 2007 is only on the front. the 2002 and the 2006 are all over. hard to figure out I guess. has anyone considered having someone airbrush on decals? expensive I figure.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #73
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Excellent idea Tom! We have a 2004 2980RL also and not having any problems either! Must be the way we drive or the type of bugs we hit!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #74
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Drjjj,

This sounds identical to another post. Don't remember if it was here on the MOC or another forum.

As has been posted before.... Yes. Some folks have removed some or all of the decals. There is a slight "ghost" image where the decals are removed.

When replacement decals were applied they, of course, covered the "ghost" images.

I have a complete set of decals that I obtained from Burlington Graphics. I have yet to remove or replace any of the graphics.

As soon as it cools off some here I'll get started.

HamRad
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #75
dodtlbug

M.O.C. #4687
Send a message via MSN to dodtlbug Send a message via Yahoo to dodtlbug
Guess I'll throw mine in as well. My 06 3500 nose decals started peeling this year. Haven't been on the road hardly since we bought it in August 05 due to health issues. Stored outside and not covered (was told the covers sometimes cause other issues (?)). Still feel these decals shouldn't be peeling so early, especially with so little road use . . .
dodtlbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #76
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Our 04 is peeling, all of the front ones, not just the Montana decal. The side ones are holding pretty good with some shrinkage of the maroon decals. Not in the budget to replace, so eventually we will have a naked front. Hope this doesn't classify us as indecent exposure!!!
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #77
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
We have an "04" 3670RL and almost all of the decals where shrinking or peeling so I took a few pictures of the worse ones and emailed them to Keystone thinking I was in for a long battle, boy was I suprised when I got a return email asking for a mailing address and much to my suprise with in a week I received 2 boxes with a complete front to back, side to side set of decals. Kudo's to Keystone for standing behind there product and excellent customer service.
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #78
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
What e-mail address did you use? I sent them a message from the customer service page, no reply yet. Didn't see a way to attach my photos.

HamRad: What's the ballpark figure of a set from Burlington?
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #79
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Clyde and Deb,

I think the ballpark figure was about $250. But I'm sure the cost will depend on the model and year of the rig. If Burlington has to tool up to make the decals vs already having some on hand will make a huge difference in cost. I'd recommend you get a definitive answer from Keystone first. If they will not help then check out Burlington.

Further information can best be obtained from D and M On The Road. She is the one that did all the work. She can give you any amount of detail you might need.

Burlington was very helpful and true to their word. Order was received very timely.

Of course now I have to get the old decals off and the new ones installed. Still more $$$$. But at least we now have some decals! That was much more than Keystone could or would do.

HamRad
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #80
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
The front "Montana" decal was bad for me. It was not difficult to remove, I used a hair dryer. The hard part is you have to do it on a ladder or something comparable. After removal one can see the outline of the decal...this helps when installing the new decal.
It helps if there are 2 people to do the job.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote