Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Sleep Number Bed

Looking to get a new mattress for the 5ver and have been looking at the Sleep Number, those that have them could you post up your likes or dislikes. If we like it in the 5ver we might get one for the stick house also so that we are using the same mattress in both.

mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We actually looked at the sleep number bed for the stick house. Liked the idea until someone told us they actually where air mattresses put together to give each side indiv. air firmness. We gave it a lot of thought and decided that they where very costly for an air mattress design.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike-- We have one in the stick and are really happy with it! The DW sleeps on a lot softer setting than I do and there is very little difference in the feel unless you actually lie down on it. Yes, they are just an air mattress but they are made of a lot better material and are much stronger than the "air mattresses one buys in the sporting goods dept.or those that are in the bedding dept. We've had ours for 5 years now and have only had one problem with it and we had to replace a bladder on one side but that was relatively cheap at $40 and it was because one of the inner seams had let go which is really unusual. When we decide to go fulltime we will be getting one for the Monty for sure!
P.S. Just to let you know-- the Sleep Number or Control Comfort beds make a special mattress for RVs. They are not the same(in the way of size) as the ones you buy for the stick or brick!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We have had our sleep number for about 8 years and we both love it. I like being able to adjust the firmness based on how I feel that day. Really makes a difference in both our ability to get a good night sleep. It was very expensive to start, but we feel it was worth the cost. We plan to get one for our 5th wheel, since the one in our house is a CA king and is way too big for the trailer.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
We bought a standard King for our 2007 3400RL and LOVE IT!!!! So much that we bought one for our new stick house. It is very tight now in the bedroom, especially up against the closet, and you have to raise the bed when closing the slide, but is it ever worth it!!!
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Don't about the trailer, but we have had the Sleep Number bed in the housae for five years now....We love it.

I do suggest going to a store and sitting and laying on one first.

The lower model numbers have thin wall sides, and when you put weight on them then the side squash down a little while sitting.

Our model number is the 5000....no problems. Sides are firm while sitting on the side of the bed. Quiet motor.

In the beginning you will adjust the firmness and softness until you decide what feels the best. Then you may not change the setting later.

Again we love our bed....when we spend longer trips in our trailer then we will purchase the same bed for the trailer.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
We have sleep by number beds in both our stick house and 5th wheel, had to rebuild bed frame in 5th wheel as it was set up for queen.
love them, wife like hers on 55, I like 75 unless my back is acting up, then go to 90.
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We really like our Sleep number bed too. Just have to be careful on the West Coast. Last May we were coming from the Coast up through I-5 to Mount Shasta. and forgot to deflate the bed. As you climb through the mountains the out side pressure drops & the air pressure inside the bed rises.......... Our 35 became 85 real quick .

I guess it does pay to read the small print .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Dr Johnny you said you bought the standard king. That is not the RV model is it? We have the expanded queen in our stick house and I wondered about putting it in the Monty when we go full time. I figured we would have to raise it up when the slide was in. How's that working for you? Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

Dr Johnny you said you bought the standard king. That is not the RV model is it? We have the expanded queen in our stick house and I wondered about putting it in the Monty when we go full time. I figured we would have to raise it up when the slide was in. How's that working for you? Joanie
We have the Queen sized 5000 model. Had to cut the king size frame support down to fit, but gives extra room next to the closet.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
No, it is not the RV model, it is the standard king. I did add some 1/2" plywood to the existing bed support so that we can sit on the edge of the bed to get dressed, etc. I also added some pipe insulation to the edge of the plywood so we would not skin our shins moving around in the bedroom. Is it tight against the closet? Yes. Can the bed be a pain to strip and remake until you get used to it? Yes (the bed is so lightweight you can move it with one hand). Is it worth these two inconveniences for a good night's sleep EVERY NIGHT? ABSOLUTELY!!! We do reduce the pressure on the bed each time we strip it and then reinflate before we remake it. Before closing the slides we lower the pressure and raise the bed so that the bottom of the bed rests on the dresser. No problems traveling so far. Only problem? We took the rig in for some warranty work. When we inspected the warranty work we noticed that one of the vanity doors was shattered! Only way it could have happened was someone must have closed the slide without raising the bed first. Keep in mind that when we took the rig in that whoever opened the slides initially had to have seen that the bed was raised, but more importantly, whoever closed the slides had to be standing within two feet of the bed (because of where the slide switch is located) and had to be standing there watching the slide close, and watched and heard the bed frame demolish the vanity door! No one told us what happened (of course), but the dealer did not quibble about replacing the door. We now have a large "sticker" above the slide switch to remind whoever closes the slides to raise the bed first.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We replaced our queen size in the Montana with the 5000 model two years ago and love it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Talked with DH today and he said that he was already planning on bringing our sleep number bed into "The Casa" when we go fulltime. He just doesn't know where he is going to put the flat panel 46" HDTV !!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Not long after we bought our camper in April 2007, [the Monty] one of the first things we did was to replace the mattress. We then purchased a Sealy Posture-Pedic foam mattress. When we bought it, we had an RV queen in it. We replaced it with a full size queen. I simply made a new platform for the mattress and when the slide is in the end of the mattress butts up against the drawers on the cabinets but doesn’t seem to be causing any type of problem there.

I like it but the D/W says that it’s too hard to sleep on. Well we spend most of the nights in the stick house. Our bed in the stick house for the last nine years has been a foam mattress it isn’t a Tempur-pedic but a similar off brand. It however is a lot softer than what we have in the Monty.

Over the course of time the foam bed in the house has broke down and it got to where it felt like we were sleeping in dips where we had slept for so long. Since both of us are having shoulder pain we are blaming it on the bed. We just replaced this mattress with a Sleep-Number bed and really like how it will adjust for the different settings. We haven’t found the ideal number for sleeping yet but it appears to be around 45. We have only slept on it now for two nights. I feel that it will be a good mattress for sleeping; time will tell. If this one works well for us, I plan on eventually replacing the foam mattress in the camper with one also.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have this one..check it out http://www.bearbeds.com/ same as sleep number but less expensive and the air pumps are built into the bed...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #16
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
What model bear do you have?
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the deluxe bear model, Queen 60X80. Had it about 2 1/2 years now.The selling feature was that the pumps are built into the bed so did not have to worry about were to put the pumps in the camper. No problems with it what-so-ever. Give this some thought. The numbers on the sleep number bed mean little unless you never move the bed. A number of say 45 is only good as long as you are in or near the same altitude. In a camper we are constantly changing altitude and the pressure changes accordingly. They fail to mention that in their advertising.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We have the same bed as RichFaa and have been full timing for two years with it. Love it!!!!! Also no problems whatsoever.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Another bed to look at if you want a Sleep Number type bed is a
Comfortaire. I have slept on the Sleep Number and the Comfortaire. I liked the Comfortaire much better. The air chambers are bigger and goes to the side of the bed more. If I go to an air bed for the Monty it will be the Comfortaire. Price wise about the same as a Sleep Number. Good warranty and customer service.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
We finally replaced the original mattress in our 03 this year with a sleep number bed. Fantastic, worth every penny.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote