Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #1
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Brake issue

We have a 2015 High Country. Returning home all of sudden when hitting brakes they seemed to bucking, for lack of better term, even very low speed. No screeching. Disconnected rig and drove truck And the truck is fine. We’ve made several cross country trips over the years, had the bearings repacked and brakes adjusted a couple years ago. Any guesses on what the issue could be? Simply may need pad replacement? Camping World can’t get us in to look at it for a couple of months and wish I had better options for that. Any insight appreciated
Thanks Ken

Old 01-21-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Maybe a local trailer shop or auto mechanic?
Try calling around and see what kind of responses you get.
There are some good YouTube videos by Dexter and Etrailer regarding brakes.
Maybe raise the rig on the hydraulic jacks and test each tire to see if the problem is one specific tire/brake that's grabbing?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ken,

You mentioned pad replacement - do you have disk brakes? With disk brakes it could be an actuator issue.

If you have standard drum brakes, I would pull the drums to check for a problem. Drum brakes have shoes vs pads.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When you say you had the bearings packed and brakes adjusted, did they actually remove the drums to look at the brakes or did they just pump grease into the zerk fittings on the axles? If they did pump the grease, it’s possible you have brake shoes coated with grease and that could be why your brakes are acting strange. You really should get those brakes looked at very soon to make sure they are still working. Even if you don’t have grease on the shoes, the brake assemblies can fail, as parts can break without any outward indications.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
They brakes are regular pads and not disc brakes. When I had the brakes serviced they pulled the drums to repack the bearings and no grease did get on the brakes, so that’s not the issue. I Checked with several auto repair and brake shops and no one wants to touch a trailer unfortunately. I always feel a bit abused by Camping World and their $185 hourly rate but not much choice, and it’s a 2 month wait. Other dealers in Orlando area only want to work on rigs they’ve sold. Wish I had a business doing that well. Closest other dealer for Montana is Lazyboy in Tampa. We are in Orlando.. I’m handy but just reluctant to tackle brakes for safety reasons. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 01-22-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Maybe a mobile tech?

https://rvtaa.org/locate/
Old 01-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There are plenty of Mobile Techs in the Central Florida area, search for the closest to you and give them a call. I wouldn't go to Camping World if they were the last place on Earth.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Did you try setting the controller lower or higher?
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Tried adjusting the controller and no change. Seems all the mobile mechanics are. 1-2 months out for appt but will do some more searching. I’m amazed at how booked up everyone is but winter in FL Brings all the snowbirds down south, which is same reason it’s so difficult to find a place to weekend camp in state and fed parks this time of year. Have to make the reservation about 30 seconds after midnight when the dates open up for reservations. No offense intended to anyone from up north!
Old 01-22-2023, 11:30 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you reach down and manually apply the brakes via your controller, does it smooth out or still buck? Maybe your controller has gone south.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:06 PM   #11
Dexter1
Established Member

M.O.C. #19413
Axle

I’m the Dexter rep for Keystone Montana. I’d suggest finding a heavy truck and trailer repair facility. You can also send me a PM with your location and I should be able to tell you the nearest Dexter Distribution centers that do service.
Dexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #12
Clark Anklam
Established Member

M.O.C. #23192
We were traveling through Billings,Montana, when we had to brake hard in congested traffic with our 2017 3610RL Montana. One brake froze up, with the tire minder alerting us. Removed tire in a parking lot, cut wires to that brake, let it cool down and put tire back on. Called several dealers in Billings to get new brakes. At our next campground I repacked all the bearings, replacing the ones on the hot drum. Also replaced all 4 brake assemblies. Total cost, under $300! This is why I carry a floor jack along.
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:35 PM   #13
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Appreciate the input from everyone, it’s very helpful. I plan to try the suggestions soon. We are home and the rig is sitting there. I had to pull off this due to priorities other than the Montana.When the issue occurred on the way home I should have detoured to a long side street, disconnected the electrical connection to the trailer and tested the brakes to see if it may have been the GMC brakes and not the trailer, but I didn’t think of doing that at the time. I plan to hook the rig up this weekend and do some testing. The truck has actually had the same issue a couple of times when I was not towing the rig but it quickly recovered and then did not repeat for a couple of months. No truck codes were generated when it occurred but I need to isolate it and verify if it’s a truck or trailer issue.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:31 PM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I don't know if this helps but We had some intermittent
"Trailer Disconnected".
"Trailer Connected".
Warnings. I cleaned the 7 way contacts really good and put some dielectric grease on them.
Fixed that.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:35 AM   #15
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The "bucking" while braking sounds like what I had when the wires inside the axle tubes were shorting out after the insulation was worn off. This is challenging to diagnose because the shorting occurs as the wires bounce inside the axle tubes while moving. In my experience, they were never shorted when parked. After hours of troubleshooting and testing I finally cut the wires running inside the axle tubes and ran new wires on the outside. Problem solved.