Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
islandbum561

M.O.C. #27193
Hot air source on inside steps

Good afternoon all, newbie here so pardon if this is a dumb question.
New 2020 3701LK and I've noticed warm air coming from the vent on the middle step leading up to the bedroom area and I can't figure out the source. I'm in central Fla. and right now it's 90 degrees outside so this is not a welcome thing. It's intermittent and feels like forced air, not just a draft. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.

islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbum561 View Post
Good afternoon all, newbie here so pardon if this is a dumb question.
New 2020 3701LK and I've noticed warm air coming from the vent on the middle step leading up to the bedroom area and I can't figure out the source. I'm in central Fla. and right now it's 90 degrees outside so this is not a welcome thing. It's intermittent and feels like forced air, not just a draft. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to the group. Not a dumb question at all.

We were in Florida a couple of months ago and know exactly what you're dealing with.

The vents under the steps lead to the basement storage area which is climate controlled so you must keep the hatches closed. I'm not aware of any forced air coming out of there with the AC running.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
The backside of our steps open into the underbelly between the front passthrough wall and the rear drop down wall on the nose. I have to remove the panel behind the convenience center to see them. You could probably pull them off and put something behind them to block them in the summer. We left there in August but I didn't feel any heat coming out of ours so there might be some other contributing factor.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thiose vents in the step lead to the front compartment.The front compartment is not sealed to the outside (even with the pass through doors closed) consequently warm/hot air can easily enter. Now when the A/C is running, it sucks in air to cool. That causes warm air from the front compartment to be brought along.

The answer is to block those vents during the summer. There are usually just 4 screws holding them in to the step. Be sure to unblock them in the winter as the furnace, in the front compartment, uses those vents as its input air supply.

A Search on those vents will uncover a lot of previous discussions on the things you can do.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! We had those vents on our 2010 and cut some black foam board, took the vents out and inserted the foam board then replaced the vents over it, to cover them in the summer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
islandbum561

M.O.C. #27193
Thank you all for the help. We've had motorhomes and travel trailers but this is our first 5ver. Nice to have these forums to learn from helpful others.
islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I wonder why air would be sucked in to the inside? My AC just recirculates the inside air, so there shouldn't be any 'suction' inside. Thoughts?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Sure there is. Depending on the size of the unit and the area to be "sucked" it can be recognizable or not. The vents (return air) are pulling the air out of the RV to recirculate. If you have an opening, like under the stairs, and enough "oomph" from the ACs they will be trying to recirculate the available air inside the camper. Enough "pull" and it will try to get the air out of the basement, open doors etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:07 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Same as sourdough says, our home AC had poor circulation so I added another return vent near a back room and now if my bedroom door is partly open, the AC will slam it shut when it kicks on. The system is balanced now, but wasn't when installed.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
IF you cover those vents be very aware that in some models that is the supply air for the Furnace. You need to very careful not to turn on the furnace while those vents are blocked as I suspect it may lead to a dangerous overheat condition.

IF you do block the vents, I would pull the fuse for the furnace.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I think there is plenty of air for the furnace if that vent is blocked. However, drawing in the cooler air from the vent area makes heating more efficient.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Wouldn't it be a great idea if the vents under the steps had a slide to open and close at will....like the A/C does for blowing straight out vs thru ducting?
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #13
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Been doing this for years. Sometimes forget to uncover with furnace on, never a problem. For better circulation uncover.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #14
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Hot air source.......

Regarding the OP's hot air from vents under steps, on our 3810, we've found that if either the main area vent fan is on, or the bathroom vent is on, WITHOUT any other windows open, there will be quite the draft coming from those vents. Yes, it is pulling in outside air, as since those fans are venting to the outside, they have to get their air from somewhere........mainly the outside. In the winter, it can be quite cold air coming in there, enough that it affects the T-stat on the wall close by. To circumvent this (if it's a problem) I just crack open a window that's close by while the vent fan (usually the bathroom) is running. That way air follows the easiest route......the slightly open window.

The furnace, and the AC(s) units ALL just circulate inside air, so no "makeup" air is required. But, turn on one of the vent fans (and this includes the one over the stove) and it has to get "makeup" air from somewhere! Rule of physics; if you are venting air to the outside, the makeup air has to also come from outside.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I started this thread several years ago. It seems Keystone hasn't done a thing to cure the issue of outside air being able to come in through the step grills. If anyone honestly thinks his pass tru storage or belly pan is totally sealed ... I have some ocean front land here in Wichita, KS I would part with. Like said ... over the years many have simply blocked the grills off for summer use, then unblocked for propane furnace use in winter.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ht=design+flaw
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I wonder why air would be sucked in to the inside? My AC just recirculates the inside air, so there shouldn't be any 'suction' inside. Thoughts?
IMHO - Cold Air sinks, hot air rises. So it's not a suck action as much as the cold drops thru the grates in the hot air comes up. I travel in so few cold regions, the grates under the steps were removed and foam board was installed behind the grates and then reinstalled. Technically if the furnace is run for extended periods those blocked vents will make the furnace draw any air it can. Might be from a leaky basement door to the outside, not good.

Food for thought.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #17
RBGALL
Established Member

M.O.C. #27048
Inverter puts off heat and that might be the source.
RBGALL is offline   Reply With Quote