Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #41
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Solved that problem, but now mine won't stay open since it uses magnets and sits flat against the sidewall.
Yea I can see an issue there. Works great if you have the gas shocks. Why did they go away from them.? Magnets are cheaper?

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #42
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Solved that problem, but now mine won't stay open since it uses magnets and sits flat against the sidewall.
BCRVMan:
Thanks for being the guy to take this on ! If you are in Surfside or thereabouts, please send me a PM if you would be okay with a visit sometime.
Your solution looks simple and very effective ! I will look at the external versus internal connection approach, and if I go "external", I might look at painting the connecting rod in white, so it blends in with the exterior. Either way, that certainly solves the problem.
By the way, we actually dislike the "slam" hinges, preferring to try to latch them quietly so as to not disturb others. The connector bar will also help with that, as a convenient handle to let the hatch down gently.

Thank you to all who have chimed in - this forum has some really awesome contributors, and it has been a treasure for us new to the Montana herd.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #43
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftie Canuk View Post
BCRVMan:
Thanks for being the guy to take this on ! If you are in Surfside or thereabouts, please send me a PM if you would be okay with a visit sometime.
Your solution looks simple and very effective ! I will look at the external versus internal connection approach, and if I go "external", I might look at painting the connecting rod in white, so it blends in with the exterior. Either way, that certainly solves the problem.
By the way, we actually dislike the "slam" hinges, preferring to try to latch them quietly so as to not disturb others. The connector bar will also help with that, as a convenient handle to let the hatch down gently.

Thank you to all who have chimed in - this forum has some really awesome contributors, and it has been a treasure for us new to the Montana herd.
Yes, I forgot mention that the door can be silently closed. I suppose those with the magnetic hold opens could use a steel cross bar and place the magnet so it would hit the cross bar when opened.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #44
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Not trying to be a smart..., but i brought up the potential magnet problem 34 posts back. Oh well.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #45
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Not trying to be a smart..., but i brought up the potential magnet problem 34 posts back. Oh well.
Just went back and found your post it was Post Number 9. And yes you did address the magnet issue I must have missed that. I suppose the original poster and myself didn't think about the possibility of someone not having the gas struts.

I don't know how to explain it to you any more simply than I can open the doors with a pinky with a minimal amount of effort possible. They can also be closed absolutely silently with one hand
Old 08-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #46
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Great “towel rack” mod as others have mentioned. As far as the magnets go, probably have to use steel and measure where the magnets contact the handles so the “towel rack” can be placed accordingly.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #47
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Great “towel rack” mod as others have mentioned. As far as the magnets go, probably have to use steel and measure where the magnets contact the handles so the “towel rack” can be placed accordingly.
I mentioned using Steel and moving magnets in post number 43. I knew before I post it originally that I would get the towel bar comments. Lol

Even the wife said oh I have somewhere to hang my towel when I come off the beach.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #48
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Went back and read post 43. Oops

Old 08-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #49
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
No harm no foul we all miss stuff when weeding through these posts. No one answered my question as to why Keystone did away with the gas shocks and went to magnets. Personally I love the gas shocks I wouldn't want the magnet deal
Old 08-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #50
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Magnets are cheaper than struts ?

Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #51
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The magnets are an improvement over the struts. There will be way fewer problems since there aren't screws pulling out of strut brackets. There are fewer moving parts and no replacement parts needed.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #52
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Magnets are cheaper than struts ?
I said that in post number 41. Lol
Old 08-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #53
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
The magnets are an improvement over the struts. There will be way fewer problems since there aren't screws pulling out of strut brackets. There are fewer moving parts and no replacement parts needed.
The gas struts on my 10 year-old unit work perfectly. However at some point the previous owner may have it issues I see different kinds of screws holding them on.

Personally I would consider the magnets in unimprovement
Old 08-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #54
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
We full-timed for 8 years in 2 different Montanas with these latches and never had a problem or even gave it a thought. I prefer them.
I’m with you on this.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #55
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I sure am glad that some folks have at least three arms and hands - one to carry 'stuff' and two to open those latches. That special body configuration is especially advantageous in a rain storm and you are standing in an ankle deep puddle and need to open those double latchs

Again. beeje, thanks for being the guinea pig
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:47 AM   #56
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
��������
Old 08-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #57
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #58
TN road dog
Established Member

M.O.C. #13347
Opening cargo dr with one hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftie Canuk View Post
Does anyone else dislike the paired "slam" latches on the cargo doors ? Opening mine on the 2012 3150RL requires both latches to be opened at once.
Sometimes that is not convenient, and I wondered if anyone has found a way to either link them together so when one is actuated, the other latch is released, or perhaps there is a technique for unlatching one, then the other, without the first one re-latching ?
Any ideas, or pictures if something was modified, will be greatly received.
Leftie,
Try putting a small ball under one of the latches while your at a camp site. The ball holds one latch open thus requiring only one hand to open the remaining latch. I’ll try attaching a short video showing this.
TN road dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #59
TN road dog
Established Member

M.O.C. #13347
opening cargo door with one hand

The post with the add on handle / bar to open with one hand is great, I like it.
However, in the past i have used a small ball belonging to my little Frenchie.
Here are a couple of pics showing how. I did a video but either I don't know how to post it or it can't be done ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4572.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	7012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	7013  
TN road dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #60
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Never thought of that that's a good solution also. With the bar you can open it anywhere along that bar left side right side Center doesn't matter. Normally without any modification you have to open the door with two hands and then back up so the door doesn't strike you