Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Factory Tour

We took a tour of the Montana factory yesterday. I was very impressed with the improvements made, but very dissappointed in the elimination of some things we really like in our 3400 RL, things we can't get in a new one for no reason I can think of, so-called improvements that actually caused dis-improvements.
The boom system sewer system is grossly overdesigned when slight re-piping of the sewer pipe would have made the outlet accessible even with the kitchen slide out.
The pennisula counter top is smaller and the sinks are smaller. Molded in sinks are an improvement, though.
Extending the pin box would have increased the turning angle without having to redesign the front cap, etc., reducing closet space, dresser drawer space, etc.
Reducing the height of the bedside wardrobe, even though the slide is taller, means ladies cannot take long dresses with them.

But the most important thing I learned is that Montana and by inference, Keystone is not flexible enough to be responsive to those of us who want what we want, not what they have on the shelf.

I will be pushing the envelope to see if I can get them to make the changes I want. Being an engineer, I will not aske for things that cannot be done.

If not, we will be dealing with DRV Select Suites in January to order our new 5er.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The DRV Elite Suites REALLY pulled our attention. Unfortunately, so did the 17K GVWR on the unit we would chose... We are a couple years away from changing out our 2007 3400, but we are hopeful that Keystone/Montana will have a replacement that will make us as happy as we were with this one when we ordered it.

Blue Full Body Paint

Floor Plan

Notice the BR slide has a SIDE BY SIDE washer and dryer space.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I also like the end tables at the ends of the couch. Really a nice unit.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
In the past, Montana and Keystone have been very cordial in listening to and changing different things on the trailers. Some are easy changes and others, cost considerable money. Then it is the decision, Is it worth it..
Main thing here "RADHAZJOE", Are you happy with the unit? If it was me, and I wasn't happy with it, I would change and get what I wanted. This is why I own a "MONTANA I changed. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
That Elite Suites looks nice. The only thing I see with the floor plan is no head access while traveling with out putting the slide out. That would be a deal breaker for me. Like the blue color and the rest of the layout.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I see that there indeed could be a problem with the bathroom... Not sure if there is an easy way around that. Surely every RV mfr realizes that access to the bathroom on the road is a key selling point...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I'm not sure that a tour of the Montana factory would lead me to an ultimatum! I love my Montana with any issues I have to deal with.
Am I a loyalist, yea to some degree, but not leaving an ulitmatum. I too was a radioman chief in the USN but, that does not qualify me to give an ultimatum!! Go Sparky! dl
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What we are seeing may be the result of the present economic conditions and efforts made to cut cost and stay in business. Other manufacturers have failed. We did not have the finances to purchase the truck that would pull the select suites of our choice or we might have one. We to have noted what we consider cost cutting measures in units of all brands at the RV shows. These are hard times.
It would be nice if one could order our Rv's like we can custom order our trucks.But as you saw when touring the factory the RV industry is a long way from that. You are not going to get a custom built Montana. What you see on the standard options list and the Options list is what there is. I would say there is a Select Suites in your future and no doubt a new and bigger truck...
We do not think the suspension system in our 06 3400 is tough enough for the way we use our unit so we are having the Mor Ryde IS suspension installed this month at a considerable expense. When we do that it will be a Montana in Name only. It would have been nice to have that option in 06......but.....
The 5th wheel that I would design for our needs would weigh about 23/25,000 lbs(maybe more) and cost about 175/200,000 $.. Such is life.. Oh.. I was only Communications/ Radar/ Computer "Technician" for Uncle Sugar which means we had to make what the Engineers designed.....work... sorry.. I could not help myself..Pay no attention to Dennis..He spent to much time underwater.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Shopping and plant tours are so much fun.

Extending the pin box, please, do we really want to go there again?? There are a bucket load of us running around pre and after frame flex.

The shorter pin box and overhang were designed for a reason.

I want a custom rig too, so, I took out another chair this week, purchased a cute wicker storage trunk and matching storage box thingy. Earlier in the summer we added the Splendide and found a store to custom make us a "coffee" table.

But, then again, ours is paid for and we cannot afford new,

Sooooo, look away, enjoy the shopping, good luck on your choice and even better luck getting it YOUR WAY! Goodness, your way, what a nice sound to that phrase! Hmmmm, was that Mr. Thomas that started that??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well ours isn't paid for but it took 6 times (5th wheels) before we got just what we wanted. We were very Lucky and BLESSED but Delaine ask for many changes, 17 to be exact. Windows moved or deleted Counters moved, closet changes, windows move, medicine cabinet moved and thing out of 3 different floorplans. We ask and they delivered. We now have what we should have done on the first 5th wheel but we didn't ask the right manufactor. Most RV manufactors would say hear is a order sheet. We didn't use a order sheet most of the great things were standard options. Things like, level up system, 6 hydraulic jacks, 15" frames, 8,000 lb axles, 17.5" H rated tires just to much to list. We are heavy but with the materails used it has to be heavy. We are using a Freightliner M2 and it does a sweet job. Have you ever ask Keystone to build something a little different from the norm? You never know until you set down and talk to the right people. GBY....

P.S. Yes we have to open a slide to get to the John but that requires us to push a button. Life is a struggle sometimes.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We looked at the Mobile Suites floor plans, but found that they all seem to involve kitchen islands and peninsulas that make access with slides in, difficult. (We never got as far as weights and prices, but I know they would be problems too!)

We still like our '05 3670RL better than anything else that we have seen out there. Now if Keystone would just see the light and re-introduce that floorplan with some (but NOT all) of the current improvements, we might be interested! As it is, we will just keep trying to keep this one in good shape and hang on to it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

We looked at the Mobile Suites floor plans, but found that they all seem to involve kitchen islands and peninsulas that make access with slides in, difficult. (We never got as far as weights and prices, but I know they would be problems too!)
John, its 17,000# GVWR and ~ $109,000 retail.

We love our peninsula counter and we do have access to the fridge/stool with the slides closed. We also have access to the LR if we scoot across the counter - a simple, quick procedure - and to the bedroom. The 3670 would be our second choice though.