Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Exterior moldings

I can't find it searching, so here goes. Recently someone posted how they cleaned the molding inserts on the outside of the coach that were yellowing and discoloring. Any help? The ones on the side that get the most sun are yellowing, plus one came loose on my last trip and flapped around for awhile. It is really dirty looking now and I need to do something with it or replace it.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
The post earlier said to use denatured alcohol don't thank this will help with yellowing? It will clean black spot from mold.
I bet the molding that came loose was around the door? Mine has come loose also you can use a auto trim adhesive under the molding, new I'd say will just do it again.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Get "AWESOME" at the dollar store - (check out the search function for this topic). Awesome has been the best and easiest cleaner I found to take off mold, etc.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Going to get me some Awsome tomorrow as mine has mold spots on it. I have tried a number of things that do not work.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you're talking about the white vinyl molding that covers the screws, it will eventually become brittle and may break. It's very easy and inexpensive to replace (a screw at the top and bottom - top one is caulked in).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Ya, Trekker that's the one. Couple of screws behind it came part way unscrewed from vibration/bad roads I guess. Then pushed the molding insert out of the track. Turned the screws in and pushed it back in, hasn't come out since (1000 miles+). Just need to clean up the mess the flopping molding made. Mold on my molding is not the problem, but thanks everyone for their help! This site is always great.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I've had a couple strips of that stuff come loose after I must have brushed them with my hand, brushed them with tree branches or shrubs, or maybe leaned against them. The main area that I have had to inspect before moving is around the main door. Probably from grabbing the outside of the door while entering or exiting the Monty. Once a little spot comes out of the track, more will follow as you drive at highway speeds.

I'll try to keep that cleaner in mind for when mine start to get too dingy.

Thanks,
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I second the comment about Awesome. It really works on the molding. On our previous unit, we replaced all of it. Time consuming but not difficult.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:11 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We had mold and nothing took it off (before the hint about alcohol was posted). So, we replaced. Not hard, but a bit time consuming, Al did one one day, the other another day. This was the stuff that runs the length of Tana. Sure is nice not looking at that black spotty mess!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The reason the molding is yellowing is because there is no UV protection in it. Cheaper to buy when building the camper and the warranty dose not cover that. If you replace the molding be sure to get it with as much UV protection as possible.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
I just got some "Awesome" from the Dollar Store today. I plan on using it this weekend on the trim to get rid of the mildew. The manufacturer recommends 10 to one concentration; anyone have better recommendations?
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I use ACETONE from the paint dept and it cleans and brightens it fine.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:55 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Little Rascal - my awesome came in a spray bottle ready to use. Suggest you try the instructions and strengthen if needed?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
The alcohol cleaned the black residue off the molding, as well as the awning arm and the side of the body as well. It seemed to also remove some of the yellow discoloration, but I didn't have time to mess with it too much. The climate here in Colorado seems to hit the moldings pretty hard. Looked around the storage lot, and saw similiar things happening to almost all of the coaches there, regardless of make. The outside vent cap for the stove is another victim, turning yellow quite quickly on all RV's. Think I'll just plan on replacing the inserts next year.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The vent caps and all the plastic stuff can be easily painted with Krylon's new "Fusion" paint for plastics. It applies VERY smoothly and dries quickly. Just be sure to clean it first to get rid of any mold.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote