Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Another 1st Repair

Arrived at our campground yesterday after a 2 hour trip and as I was setting up outside I hear my wife ask “what’s wrong with this drawer.”. Upon walking in I see a drawer in the island on an angle pointing up to the sky. Frustrated because every trip it’s something new, I said I’ll look in the morning. Well upon inspection, the wood frame that holds the drawer rails that attaches to the underside of the counter top came apart because of staples misplaced in the wood frame. Two hours later after laying on the floor and standing on my head I had it out, repaired with proper wood screws, and back together. My question, is it just me, but every trip, there is something to repair, do any of you have better luck then me? Sorry for venting, it’s just frustrating, just once I like to arrive with no issues to address.
Attached Images

jeepjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
It's not just you and not at all uncommon in any RV.

Our near $100K 2018 Winnebago View was the same. But after two years of ownership I pretty much go them all worked out.

Our current rig has been no different and I've lost count of the number of things I've fixed since we bought it in July.

While I'm not making excuses I think the way they have to hustle is a big part of the problem but we, like I'm sure most people, were hard negotiators when we bought our rig and paid no where near the asking price.

This kind of competition goes all the way back to saving man-hours on the production line. Watch the Hoopers video:

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It happens on occasion. Generally, I find the newer the unit is the more often it happens. Lots of small stuff but things that shouldn't happen to begin with.

What year and model is your trailer?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
It happens on occasion. Generally, I find the newer the unit is the more often it happens. Lots of small stuff but things that shouldn't happen to begin with.

What year and model is your trailer?
It’s our 2nd anniversary in our 2019 Montana 3121RL. I’ve had RV’s/campers for many years and I know and expect issues, but this unit has many “firsts” for me, unusual things such as that drawer slide bracket, not to mention my ongoing battle with the shades every trip. But as my wife suggests, “it gives you something to do”, but maybe once I’d just like to kick back! Next is the bathroom door, it’s not latching properly now, off to work again.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I’ve always had a small compressor in the rig for the tires, and early on started carrying a combo stapler/brad nailer which I’ve used quite a lot to reattach various things in the rig. When things came apart on one of the pocket doors, I had to remove one of the boards, which was barely attached because the wood was so hard. I ended up having to drill and countersink holes so I could attach it with screws. There is so much flexing in these trailers as they roll down the road that it’s surprising anything is still together after being on some of these roads.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I’ve always had a small compressor in the rig for the tires, and early on started carrying a combo stapler/brad nailer which I’ve used quite a lot to reattach various things in the rig. When things came apart on one of the pocket doors, I had to remove one of the boards, which was barely attached because the wood was so hard. I ended up having to drill and countersink holes so I could attach it with screws. There is so much flexing in these trailers as they roll down the road that it’s surprising anything is still together after being on some of these roads.
Totally agree, these campers flex and take a real beating on the highways. I’m just not sure of stapling wood frames, staples work loose under travel in wood but I’ve never really had screws back out of wood, metal yes but not wood. But the manufacturers sure have more knowledge and experience with these things then I. Thanks for the reply, take care!
Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Has anyone else considered how the extreme length of these newer trailers is affecting the flex related problems? I remember years ago seeing a 36 footer and wondering why anyone would want to take that thing camping. Now Montana’s smallest unit is more than that, nose to tail. Bigger is not always better!
Old 09-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Has anyone else considered how the extreme length of these newer trailers is affecting the flex related problems? I remember years ago seeing a 36 footer and wondering why anyone would want to take that thing camping. Now Montana’s smallest unit is more than that, nose to tail. Bigger is not always better!
Yes I remember those 36 footers, and they didn’t even have slides! I had a 41 footer with slides and scaled back to Montana’s 35 footer and still have plenty of room and I can get in the National Parks as well. To your point, bigger isn’t always better!
Old 09-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have had some issues with each of our rigs, but not what I would consider excessive. Considering the number of miles we've towed and the condition of some of the roads we've towed on, after the beginning issues, I've been surprised how well things have held up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
People tend to scoff at the MORryde IS, that it's not worth the cost, but I would bet those of us who have paid the price for that upgrade have far less issues traveling after. I know we have. Between our two SOB after our Monty we've traveled almost 100K, from Florida to Alaska and most of the West, Florida to the Canadian Maritime, and Florida to Thompson, Manatoba and nothing shaken apart, no suspension issues, and only one blown GY G114 that was getting due for replacement. So to me while expensive it has paid for it's self in the long run.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjrn View Post
Arrived at our campground yesterday after a 2 hour trip and as I was setting up outside I hear my wife ask “what’s wrong with this drawer.”. Upon walking in I see a drawer in the island on an angle pointing up to the sky. Frustrated because every trip it’s something new, I said I’ll look in the morning. Well upon inspection, the wood frame that holds the drawer rails that attaches to the underside of the counter top came apart because of staples misplaced in the wood frame. Two hours later after laying on the floor and standing on my head I had it out, repaired with proper wood screws, and back together. My question, is it just me, but every trip, there is something to repair, do any of you have better luck then me? Sorry for venting, it’s just frustrating, just once I like to arrive with no issues to address.
Dear Frustrated! lol

No seriously, I understand your frustration. It should not be this way but it is. We are about 18 months into our "new" unit. We went for well over a year where I typed a list of things to fix in my phone every camping trip. Sometimes it was a drawer, or a staple, or a loose screw, or some loose trim, etc, etc, etc. Every trip something new and yes, very frustrating.

We went for a four day weekend over labor day weekend and I finally had a return trip home without requiring a repair. Keep at it and eventually you will get the gremlins out of it. Once you get there, it is VERY satisfying.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:41 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I'm still working some of the kinks out of our 2019 3791RD. I have often joked with my DW that the "3 year warranty" sticker on the door should have said "Some Assembly Required!".
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I can relate. One trip the bedroom closet shelf crashed down, another stretch of road the big trim on the living room slide was hanging by a couple of staples, but it's been a lot better after the IS install.
Now the sink covers only jump out a the worst roads.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I'm still working some of the kinks out of our 2019 3791RD. I have often joked with my DW that the "3 year warranty" sticker on the door should have said "Some Assembly Required!".
Love your proposed quote on the sticker. Might replace "some" with "constant".
Old 09-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Moral of the Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
I can relate. One trip the bedroom closet shelf crashed down, another stretch of road the big trim on the living room slide was hanging by a couple of staples, but it's been a lot better after the IS install.
Now the sink covers only jump out a the worst roads.
I guess the moral of my story is my disgust with production requiring staples. In my case, 1 simple screw held up the entire drawer slide bracket frame and the screw held tight. But 4 of the 16 staples in the frame failed and others were starting to break loose. Knowing that fact, wouldn’t the use of screws have prevented this mishap? I’m not advocating using screws for everything as that would not be too practical, but for this particular example, the screws might be worth the extra 2 seconds and 3 cents, as my picture tells the tale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20C05845-5E52-4108-9CA8-CD715B0348CF.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	958.3 KB
ID:	7244  
Old 09-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I had to rebuild the entire island. Last trip, the heavy, wood oval thing surrounding the ceiling light over the island started coming down. It had been fastened to the 1/8" ceiling material with a bunch of staples; surprised it held this long. Fixed it with screws into studs. Yes, something every trip.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I had to rebuild the entire island. Last trip, the heavy, wood oval thing surrounding the ceiling light over the island started coming down. It had been fastened to the 1/8" ceiling material with a bunch of staples; surprised it held this long. Fixed it with screws into studs. Yes, something every trip.
Wow, maybe I’d better look at my ceiling light fixture after I finish trying to adjust the bathroom door so it opens smoothly and correctly latches. I guess we just have to expect this with RV’ing as part of a normal routine. It’s kinda funny that I need more tools in my camper then I need at home!
Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #18
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Had the exact same thing happen to us this weekend. Frame holding drawer was just stapled together. It was hanging on 4 small wire staples, no wonder it came apart.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:44 AM   #19
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
When friends ask about RVing and buying. My 1st question is--Do you know how to use a screwdriver? It gets their attention away from shiny stuff in their dream rig to real world of "it will need fixin!" I will just keep my 2006 Monty--got most things fixed.--finally.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
You'll get ahead of all the issues before too long. I had to fix various things every trip for a little over a year. Now we rarely have problems.

Mark