Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
possible propane leak?

Hi all,
Thanks for helping out a newbie this forum has been really incredible.

2019 3121RL and been out camping a few times. This last weekend suddenly noticed a VERY strong rotten egg odor coming from around the front of the coach. This odor has never been there before. At first I thought it was a sewer gas odor but I seemed to pinpoint the area around the front of the coach.

So at that point I thought it was the distinct rotten egg smell of leaking propane. I had changed out the second tank last time I was out so I double checked all the connections. All were tight but the odor was super strong.

Next step was I shut off the second tank that I had changed and switched over to the #1 tank. Now the odor was strong around that tank but generally all around the front. This smell had not been there the last few times I was out camping AT ALL.

In the meantime, the furnace, stove, etc were working fine inside all weekend.

So, needless to say I'm a little worried about what it might be since the smell (to me) was that very distinct propane smell versus a sewer gas.

Any help would be totally appreciated. How to check for propane leak? Or just return this to the dealer?

2019 Montana 3121 RL
scott802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
Roadtravelers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19116
I have been told the the rotten egg smell is when the tanks are empty
Roadtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
Propane tanks?
If so, the #2 tank was just filled on my last trip and hardly used so that doesn't seem likely?
Last trip I ran totally out of propane and no smell was noted. I'm definitely wondering plus of course there's the whole safety issue.
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If it is propane, You might check for leaks at the regulator and all tank connections. You indicated all were tight, but check for leaks with soapy water.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Propane leak

Had the same problem (but not as severe). Turns out that the regulator was not installed properly. Once replaced, not a big fix, all is good.
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott802 View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for helping out a newbie this forum has been really incredible.

2019 3121RL and been out camping a few times. This last weekend suddenly noticed a VERY strong rotten egg odor coming from around the front of the coach. This odor has never been there before. At first I thought it was a sewer gas odor but I seemed to pinpoint the area around the front of the coach.

So at that point I thought it was the distinct rotten egg smell of leaking propane. I had changed out the second tank last time I was out so I double checked all the connections. All were tight but the odor was super strong.

Next step was I shut off the second tank that I had changed and switched over to the #1 tank. Now the odor was strong around that tank but generally all around the front. This smell had not been there the last few times I was out camping AT ALL.

In the meantime, the furnace, stove, etc were working fine inside all weekend.

So, needless to say I'm a little worried about what it might be since the smell (to me) was that very distinct propane smell versus a sewer gas.

Any help would be totally appreciated. How to check for propane leak? Or just return this to the dealer?
Does the smell go away if you turn off the propane tanks? If yes then you need to check all connections with soapy water to find the leak! If the smell is still there with the tanks off than take a look at your battery's you maybe have a over charge problem.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have had this happen when I filled the tank. Then as the weather warms up the pop off valve starts to bleed off the pressure. Turning the valve off will not stop it. That could be your problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
You all are great I'm so appreciative. My girlfriend was really worried about the possibility of a dangerous explosion while we were camping of course.

The very first thing I did once I realized the general area of the odor being at the front of the trailer around the propane tank(s)(at first I thought it was sewer gas) was to shut off the valve on the secondary tank completely and switch back to the #1 tank.

My thought process there was, since I had recently filled the #2 tank something must have happened subsequent to that. Despite the fact that I camped for an entire weekend after that and noticed NO smell.

After I swapped tanks, the smell got slightly less but it was definitely still there around both tanks. I kept thinking 'I've shut the gas off why am I still smelling propane'???

So yes I am definitely at a loss here.

Thanks again a ton everyone.
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
Had similar smell in the past. 1st, this happens in my home when the 1000 gal propane tank is low or empty. Also happened my RV for the same reasons. Last time I filled the tanks, the vendor spilled (sprayed) a bunch of the propane on the outside of the tanks when disconnecting and it smelled for several days afterwards.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When our old rig was new we had the same problem. The factory had over threaded the black pipe going across the front so that the connections on one end wouldn't seal.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Does the smell go away if you turn off the propane tanks? If yes then you need to check all connections with soapy water to find the leak! If the smell is still there with the tanks off than take a look at your battery's you maybe have a over charge problem.

We had the same problem with that smell, and it was our battery's over charging.
Just what we had.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
hi,
the smell did not go away even with both propane tanks turned off. Maybe a little less but I can open the front compartment and still smell it.
Oddly enough, been having tons of problems with the battery voltages. I drove away from the park had no problems raising the jacks and by the time 4 hours later I tried to unhook and drop the jacks I had ZERO battery power not even enough to put the jacks down. I thought it was unrelated. 'low voltage' warnings on the Lippert.
I kept thinking I messed up the position of the 'battery disconnect' key (should stay in ON position) versus anything to do with my supposed propane leak.

appreciate you all.
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Old 03-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
hi,
<snip>
.....I kept thinking I messed up the position of the 'battery disconnect' key (should stay in ON position) versus anything to do with my supposed propane leak....
</snip>
The ON and OFF positions of the key are very confusing. What you want is the position where you CAN'T remove the key!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Personal opinion, your batteries may be overcharging and are out gassing. Have your batteries tested.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #15
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
Thanks so much. I never even thought it could be a battery issue that might cause that smell. As far as the disconnect key, it's in the 'On' position now which means the batteries are 'on' and the key cannot be removed. Yes, the labeling is definitely counter-intuitive and I know I had been messing with that key when it seemed like my batteries were always losing charge. At least I assume that since every time I try and lower my jacks I get the 'low voltage' error message followed by the jack motors buzzing like they don't have enough power to move.

I'm definitely hopeful this is a battery issue versus propane so it looks like I will have to tow back to the dealer for service is pretty much what I'm gathering at this point.

Thanks everyone,
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Old 03-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #16
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Batteries smell like rotten eggs. Propane doesn't smell like that. One of your batteries has a dead short. I would replace it as soon as you can. They will get hot and can explode so be careful if battery is hot. Disconnect the GROUND wire first. Always
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
That's why I'm on this site, I learn so much. I feel dumb but I had no idea batteries smelled like rotten eggs at all. But that's exactly the very strong odor I'm getting. Rotten eggs. And it sure might explain why I keep showing 'low voltage' every time I'm trying to simply raise and lower the jacks.

Thank you everyone so much! Will keep you all posted what I find out.
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #18
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
That's why I'm on this site, I learn so much. I feel dumb but I had no idea batteries smelled like rotten eggs at all. But that's exactly the very strong odor I'm getting. Rotten eggs. And it sure might explain why I keep showing 'low voltage' every time I'm trying to simply raise and lower the jacks.

Thank you everyone so much! Will keep you all posted what I find out.
Electrolite in batteries is Sulferic acid. HydrogenSulfide gas form the batteries smells like rotten eggs..
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
Yep. Just talked to the dealer. Apparently it's a 'known issue' with these bad coach batteries. So they will evidently be replaced under warranty.
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #20
scott802
Established Member

M.O.C. #23255
Follow up - in speaking to my dealer they are trying to blame my truck for overcharging the batteries. I just had a new heavy duty alternator put in a few months ago, and granted the output is higher number of amps than stock, but I did that on purpose as the alternators on these older Ford 6.0's are known to fail.
I really don't see how a new high output alternator would cause the batteries in my Montana to fail, nonetheless the dealer is insisting when I bring the coach back for service (should be under warranty if batteries are bad) that I bring paperwork indicating the charging system on the truck has been tested and verified.

Has anyone ever encountered this type of issue?

Thanks again
2019 Montana 3121 RL