Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
Lynwood,
you are right spot on. that's what I forgot to mention. a lot depends on the dealer and how they want to handle it. but from what I have heard it does register it if they dig as your tech mentioned. anyway these beasts pull great Ford, Chevy and Dodge. like old hot-rodder's that's why we like to trick them out to have fun doesn't make economic sense but hey its fun.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The thing that Ford won’t take the techs word for is the high pressure fuel pump. They require a picture of it to check for rust or dirt. Rust or dirt is is neglect and they won’t pay for that.
All of this could have changed since I last checked. My 08 is almost out warranty anyway. Actually it’s been out of warranty for almost 5 years but still has only 79,000 miles on it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #23
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
We have new (5k miles) F-350 to tow our 3730FL. I have been seeing a lot of ads about mpg improving electronic devices, some wired into truck electronics with jumpers, other which plug into OBDII. Any experience with these or similar devices, and do they void the warranty?
We pull our 3400RL with a 2011 6.7 SRW ex. cab, 8ft. bed with power to spare. I would not want to change any thing on this engine. We've run WI to Williamsport PA. At 12.2 m.p.g. Back to WI at 10.2 with a 20m.p.h. side wind coming north through IL. WI to Central TX at 11.4 (dashboard readings). We try to maintain around 63-65 mph.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #24
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I've had every brand of diesel truck going back to early nineties. Yes, when diesels were less than 350 hp I bought the tuners, never gained more than 1-2 mpg but did increase pulling power. I just bought a 2017 6.7 new and what a monster, you will not need to chip/tuner it as it pulls like a dream. I have averaged 11.5/12 mpg hooked and 18.9 empty. I agree with all the posters that there is no upside to a tuner other than a voided warranty. I try to maintain 65-67 on interstates. Just picked up our new 5er Saturday, empty didn't hardly know it was behind us, can't wait to get it loaded and see if we maintain the fuel mileage.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
The only 'tuner' a 6.7 Ford needs for better mileage is an egg. That egg needs to be carefully positioned under the right foot.

My '11 6.7 is Ford's JOB 1. This means that it started out at less then 400/800 Hp and torque and was 'tuned' by Ford to that 400/800. That JOB 1 also means that there is the possibility that eventually one of the RH head valves may break and destroy the engine. I still have a Ford ESP just in case up to 2020 and 136,000 miles. It currently has 110,000 miles, ~75% towing something pretty big with nothing more then a few JOB 1 birthing pains in the first 15,000 miles, all corrected under warranty. Since then only a plastic CAC tube, replaced last year with a steel version.

With that said, and with summer blend, non-bio fuel, my empty fuel mileage ranges between 19-22mpg. Towing, 10-13, all dependent on the diesel fuel's cetane rating and make up is as well as whether I scrambled that mythical egg under my right foot. If I 'deleted and tuned' my truck for something well North of $2000 (lots of fuel's worth) I might pick up a couple miles/gallon - but maybe not. I also couldn't trade it in at a Ford dealer.

Your truck, your dollars, your warranty, your decision for not a lot of gain
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The thing that Ford won’t take the techs word for is the high pressure fuel pump. They require a picture of it to check for rust or dirt. Rust or dirt is is neglect and they won’t pay for that.
All of this could have changed since I last checked. My 08 is almost out warranty anyway. Actually it’s been out of warranty for almost 5 years but still has only 79,000 miles on it.
Lynwood
You can extend the Ford ESP. We also have the 2008 F-350 that is on the upside of 95 K miles and we still have the Ford ESP. We have extended it I think twice..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #27
KemoLondon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21413
F-350 SRW pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
How does your SRW do pulling the 3791RD? I have a 2015 F350 SRW and am getting a new 3791RD soon. Just curious.
I got my 2017 F-350 6.7 Diesel SRW last year with our 3720RL and it pulls likes it's not even back there. Very happy with the decision.

Kemo
KemoLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #28
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
Kemo, I agree, I have the same set up (except 3730) and I don't even think about it being there except for watching the MPG readout---except when I have a quick stop to do. What do you set your trailer brake gain on?
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are always well aware that the Montana is behind us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #30
KemoLondon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Kemo, I agree, I have the same set up (except 3730) and I don't even think about it being there except for watching the MPG readout---except when I have a quick stop to do. What do you set your trailer brake gain on?
I think it's set at 7 for the gain. Being an old semi pusher I always think about it back there...lol. Just for safety. That's a lot of weight moving on down the road...
KemoLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #31
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 F350 with just over 40K miles for $37K. Has the 6.7 diesel. 4 door, long bed, new Michelin tires.
Will be pulling a new to me 2011 3000RK
Any reason I shouldn't jump at this deal?
Thanks
Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Good luck with your decision!
I'm always amazed at how little mileage is on some of these trucks! My 2016 F350 is just past 18 months old with 54,000 miles.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #33
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 F350 with just over 40K miles for $37K. Has the 6.7 diesel. 4 door, long bed, new Michelin tires.
Thanks
Sounds like a middle of the road deal, it’s low mileage but it’s year one of the new engines. Can’t give a reason not to, but you may be able to get a couple years newer for not much more?

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #34
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
F350 Diesel Bully Dog tuner

Hi All:

I have a 2011 F350 Diesel pulling a Montana 3800RE. Last fall, before our haul from Canada to AZ, my FORD dealer suggested and installed a Bully Dog tuner.
Nice extra power which I really did not need but ... I found that over 4,000 mile this year I averaged 2 mpg more towing and the same not towing. I guess that is something. But it will take me a while to recoup the cost of the tuner. I also experiment by turning the tuner OFF. I guess I use the tuner more to watch the gauges. That is some entertainment on a long haul and to give me some assurance when I am hauling thru the Rocky Mountains.
Full timer, Golfer Dave
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #35
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
Thanks

Looks like these trucks are holding their prices!!

I would look into a Ford ESP (now Protect) extended warranty. While I have just under 110,000 miles on my '11, I've maintained that warranty simply due to it being an early production and what they call a JOB 1. The truck was uprated to 400Hp/800 lb ft early on. There are some possible problems with those early models, corrected later. But with that said, sure wouldn't pass that one up if everything checks out as a 2018 starts close to $65K then goes up
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #36
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Having managed a performance auto parts store and a regular auto parts store in a past life, I have seen and tried a few different mpg enhancing devices. Most of these easy install, just it plug in devices provide very little, if any, improvement and are not worth the time or money.

I have seen that there are two basic driver reactions to installing these devices.

1. Now that I installed a chip, my vehicle is a hot rod and I drive like it's a hot rod. My mpg gets worse and swear that chip is a piece of crap.

2. The placebo affect. Now that I installed that chip, I am paying closer attention to how I drive. My mpg improved and swear by that chip.

Two things that you CAN do to help fuel economy are synthetic oil and a K&N air filter.

The bottom line...just pay attention to how you drive and you will see an improvement in your mpg.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A tuner will make you think you are getting better mileage. They alter the throttle position along with other things so the “lie o meter” will say you are getting better mileage than you really are but if you check with a pen and paper you will find very little difference. When I tuned my truck I thought I was getting 3 to 4 MPG better and that would have been nice if it was true.
Any thing the manufacturers can do to get better mileage they will do. GM and Ford just spent hundreds of millions to develop their 10 speed transmission to get 1 MPG better mileage. They would surly put a different oil or filter in if it would get better fuel economy and still protect their high tech engines.
If you are looking for more power go for it. If you are looking for better fuel mileage good luck with that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #38
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Obviously I don't know for sure but most gas motors already come with synthetic oil, I assumed the diesels would also and I will know for sure when my new truck gets delivered. I am not trying to foul rap K & N but I think there are better products. Just my opinion but doing some modifications on the exhaust is probably a better way to improve efficiency but I am old school with my old 7.3 so I could be way behind on the way to get more usable power with a possible chance of improving fuel mileage. Best I ever got with my old 7.3 was around 22 mpg but I was only going 50/60 mph. Somebody mentioned an egg under the gas peddle or minimizing speed will both help. As for the manufactures I think they try to make one size fit all but I would guess that some aftermarket people have figured out how to do it better.
I just want to see how my new 6.7 tows especially with to more gears and 4.10's.

Tom Marty
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #39
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
There are a lot of products, tuners, chips, etc available to increase hp and torque. The majority of those products will do their advertised job. Products sold to enhance fuel economy very rarely work.

Internal combustion engines are not very efficient. As such, engineers tweak as much mpg vs hp/torque with current available technology and still put an “affordable” product to market. How we drive that product will greatly impact that mpg both positively and negatively.

As to the OP’s question...I wouldn’t do anything.
I have a 2016 F350 with the 6.7L. 440hp, 860 lb/ft torque and 4.30 gears. It doesn’t need any enhancements.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #40
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Having managed a performance auto parts store and a regular auto parts store in a past life, I have seen and tried a few different mpg enhancing devices. Most of these easy install, just it plug in devices provide very little, if any, improvement and are not worth the time or money.

I have seen that there are two basic driver reactions to installing these devices.

1. Now that I installed a chip, my vehicle is a hot rod and I drive like it's a hot rod. My mpg gets worse and swear that chip is a piece of crap.

2. The placebo affect. Now that I installed that chip, I am paying closer attention to how I drive. My mpg improved and swear by that chip.

Two things that you CAN do to help fuel economy are synthetic oil and a K&N air filter.

The bottom line...just pay attention to how you drive and you will see an improvement in your mpg.
I agree with all the above EXCEPT what is highlighted. Neither will improve fuel mileage. The K&N will foul your MAF and allow more dirt to enter your engine. The factory air filter will allow more than enough air for your power level. A low-restriction air filter on a diesel will not improve fuel mileage.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs..._AirFilter.pdf

https://www.government-fleet.com/cha...t-edition.aspx