Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Plumber's Tape Usage

I'm tinkering with some plumbing repairs / mods and have several threaded connections, some are metal to nylon and some nylon to nylon using Flair-It fittings. The question, when a connection does not have a rubber O ring, should plumbers tape be used on all the threaded fittings or just the metal to nylon fittings?

No tape on the PEX pipe fittings for sure.

Help and thanks!

Scott

jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:36 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
There should be some sort of lube and seal. I like pipe dope, I always carry Rectorseal, or Leak Lock I can't remember the last time I used Teflon tape. I pull bits of Teflon tape out of the screens in gas valves at times.
If you do use it, you have to wrap it correctly in the proper direction, and 1 and a half times around the end should be adequate. I dab the leak lock on the first 3 or so threads. It has served me well for 40 odd years... and I mean odd..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I use rectorseal on all water,air and gas applications. always has been a good fit for threads. I even just used it to seal the threads on our cousins tractor fuel tank, drained and dried, cleaned threads,and sealed up.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Every time I use it I wear it for a few hrs after, it jumps on my hands... I tell myself, I won't get it all over me this time... never happens.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Thanks for the info, RectorSeal Tru-Blu gets to be the sealant that I'll be wearing. I'll be sure to take some before and after pictures, not of the project but of me. Maybe I should wait until Halloween day, that way I won't have to get a costume on to go trick or treating! Thanks again
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote