Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
I had an interesting interaction with a man!

Hi

I am in a travel park in Ellington Florida that is full.

Day before yesterday I had a fellow in one of those little 3 wheel electric scooters that some older people use come by and started asking questions about the graphics on my trailer.

I was in a hurry to go back to the Model RR track but he was insistent about asking more questions. He rode around the trailer on his scooter and asks about things like the landing gear, tires & wheels, and axels that indicated he was very familiar with 5th wheel trailers.

I was in a hurry so kind of just gave him short answers because I had people waiting at the track for me.

When he got to the side with the sewer outlet he ask if I had ever had any work done on that item since I purchased the trailer. I said no and He then pointed out the outlet was installed crooked.

At this point I told him I really had to leave please come back later he ask for my name and when I got in the car to leave he made the statement he was an attorney and was just curious.

The thing I find odd about this is he didn’t give me his name or ask the year or the name of the manufacturer or any other questions.

I haven’t seen him since.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Phil, I am kind of a suspicious person anyway. But there are all kinds of weird folks out there, not to mention all types of scams. I would ask some folks around you, or other 5th Wheel owners in the park if they have been approached by this person. Maybe he is just bored.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I run across lots of overly friendly folks in RV parks. Part of the RV lifestyle I guess. Based on your description, He would have pushed my patience threshold.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I know a guy sorta like this. He rides around in an OLD 3 wheel chair has an ole rusty E250 Ford van and comes to shooting matches with old outdated equipment. His income from Exxon is a million a year. His net worth is 2 billion dollars. There might be more to this guy than first impression.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One of the reasons we winter in volunteer positions. Worked with the public all our lives and don't mind doing it now, but like to come home and be by ourselves.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey, driving around in that scooter all day.... he's probably "a good driver". I hear of these stories but have none for myself. It must be my ugly, mean deameanor. And DW tells me I should sparkle myself up. Nope, no need. No stories like this.

Phil P, stop being such a nice guy. Sounds like the dude was just gonna hang around demonstrating how much he knows and keep doing it until you are no longer there to listen.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Odd, I'll give you that. Not being there, and from your description, I would think he's possibly just lonely and wanted to shoot the breeze. It's a lot easier to have you talk about your rig than his scooter, so maybe he was just reaching for common ground. At least that's what I'd like to think... That said, I think you handled it well. Easy to say what I might have done sitting at my desk 3,000 miles away, but being in the situation is the real test, and you did well I think! If he comes back again, you can get more details.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Meet them all the time. I always find that many are willing to find fault with my Montana. Point out things they think are wrong with my rig. Always having am uncle, who's neighbors son, knew a guy that owned a Montana. Oh and it was exactly like mine? That guy hated it, it was the bane of his existence! Wow what a coincidence, exactly like mine and maybe I should sell it! If not the Montana, it's my Ford truck. Now I am a friendly guy, and normally these types don't last long. My wife says I don't play well with others. Lol. I don't ! I believe there are lots of lonely people out there, who really don't know the art of conversation. Sharing negative opinions or just asking lots of mind numbing questions make up for those lacking the skill-set to chat. Like I remind people, Thumper Rabit was right. "If you can't say nothin nice" don't say nothin at all. Lol.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have read my OP over several times.

I don’t see where I said and I don’t remember him saying any negative comments.

The closest he came to any negative comment was pointing out the sewer outlet is not installed properly.

He really didn’t give me much information or express any opinion about the trailer but he did ask questions that indicated he had knowledge of some of the problems we all have had with our trailers.

Stuff like are the wheels and tire original and he pointed at the landing gear and ask if I had any problems with them, about the slide system and pointed at the slide topper or awning that is over the long slide and ask if that was original etc.

The one thing he didn’t ask about was what was wrong with the slide topper or awing the fabric or whatever type of material the awning is made of has stretched on the back side to it is loose and flaps in the breezes but is tight when the slide is in just some wrinkles at that end but it is not loose when the slide is retracted.

It was a very odd conversation not like most when some shows interest in the reason for the very poor graphics.

He never ask me for my opinion of the trailer and I still haven’t seen him again and I was at the trailer until mid morning yesterday helping one of my computer clients install ITunes on her Dell computer via the internet and then was gone until after dark.

Phil P
Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I've got to bet this person is lonely. We don't really know anything of his past do we? He could have lost his sole mate of many years and not have anyone else to share his days with. Maybe he would like a visit to the Model RR? This is another reason why I don't want to out live my wonderful wife.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Last summer we met Jack. He had a permanent set up in the site next to ours. Nice old guy who seemed knowledgeable on any subject discussed. He stayed in his rig five days out of every week, then went home mid week for two days. He claimed that he loved camping and his wife wanted no parts of it. Can't say that we can verify any truth in anything he told us. I think we just found a lonely old guy who was doing whatever he could to fit in with whoever he was with. We figured his tricks when he told us that he retired from a career in hydraulics as we were leveling up. He told a neighboring camper that he had an entirely different career that fit into their conversation at the time.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Phil, I was not implying your post had negative aspects. I was saying the guy you describe (at least in my case) usually points out all the flaws? Lol. Not just sewer being put on wrong! My wife reminded me of the guy who she found, crouched down my one of the trailer tires at 11:30 at night. It was in a campground in the south. She had our Mt Dog with her. She yelled at me to come outside and confront him! ( Hell she at the dog, what am I going to do?). Turns out he was talking "at " me earlier in evening at campfire. Told me my trailer looked too heavy. He did not believe my tires were G rated. Guess it got the best of him and he came to see for himself! Lol. I said you almost got dog bit! There he was with flashlight, pencil and paper, trying read my tire size, to prove his point! I told him to get home. He apologized the next morning, sort of apologized? Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
You said that he was an attorney? Maybe he was looking for info to file a class action suit.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

It’s been 4 days now and I haven’t seen him around the RV Park again.

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men. LOL

Probably not the correct quote but close.

Phil P
Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men. LOL

Probably not the correct quote but close.

Phil P
The Shadow

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
On edit:
I forgot to add the evil laugh at the end!

Ah yes, evenings spent around the old RCA-Victor radio. Days gone by!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
LOL!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Meanwhile not to long after we got this Top of the line, best you can buy Montana 3402 Big Sky we were on a short trip down to southern Ohio and in an Campground. Now this Big Sky only has "By Montana" in smaller black graphics under the large graphics "Big Sky" many folks do not know it is a keystone/Montana. After we had parked and set up a fellow camper walked over and began to look over the Big Sky. He commented on how well this Redwood was built and how nice it looked . His "friend" had a Montana that was a piece of crap. I should have sold it to him then. It is all in the eyes of the beholder.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We were packing up and getting ready to move to Dundee yesterday and the fellow came by and watched for a little bit. I did take the time to ask him his name. He gave me his first name Jon and said he was a retired attorney.

I didn’t have time for any further conversation.

Phil P