Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

As has been said. Any will do the job. I refuse to buy anything GM. The wife did not like the Ford interiors. The Ram has the weakest transmission (68RFE), but the cast iron engine is bullet proof. (the '13 and up have the Aisin tranny available and is bullet proof to match the engine) My opinion, Ram has the best exhaust brake.

Ford has had reports of the fuel filter/water separator passing water and the result is 12k of repairs that Ford will not stand behind.

Ram, now owned by Fiat, has reports of parts availability issues. So like the guy said, you pays your money, you takes your chances.
I discussed the water-fuel issue with my Ford Dealer. His dealership had not had the issues with any trucks used by owners. Had heard some issues with fleets buyers in other parts of the country. He assured me and put it in writing that it was a covered warranty issue. I feel it's a non issue in my situation. None of my Ford online group, have encountered any problems thus far, but time will tell!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #22
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We took the specs for the Monty to a truck dealership. They determined that in most instances a 3/4 would be capable of pulling the trailer. They said that under heavy pull situations, it would bog down. We opted for a one ton and have never regretted the decision. Our first was an 07 Silverado 3500 diesel. Good truck, pulled well. After three years of ownership we had to replace the brake and transmission lines. Just before we got the Monty last year we had it up on the rack and noticed multiple oil leaks from the engine, so we decided to trade. BTW, the issues are probably more about heavily salted roads in Ohio winters than a flaw in the vehicle. The new vehicle is a 12 Ford F350 diesel. I have never been a big Ford fan but the price was right on this truck and it performs well. Actually we both think the Ford is a bit more comfortable than the Chevy. Bottom line is that once you determine what size truck will pull the Montana in the manner that you desire, the choice is more personal preference than anything else.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #23
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Those that have think they have the best....as said all 3 mfg are making great vehicles. Look, drive and pick one you like. I would suggest a one ton vehicle and to look at the 2015 changes and upgrades.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #24
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

As has been said. Any will do the job. I refuse to buy anything GM. The wife did not like the Ford interiors. The Ram has the weakest transmission (68RFE), but the cast iron engine is bullet proof. (the '13 and up have the Aisin tranny available and is bullet proof to match the engine) My opinion, Ram has the best exhaust brake.

Ford has had reports of the fuel filter/water separator passing water and the result is 12k of repairs that Ford will not stand behind.

Ram, now owned by Fiat, has reports of parts availability issues. So like the guy said, you pays your money, you takes your chances.
I discussed the water-fuel issue with my Ford Dealer. His dealership had not had the issues with any trucks used by owners. Had heard some issues with fleets buyers in other parts of the country. He assured me and put it in writing that it was a covered warranty issue. I feel it's a non issue in my situation. None of my Ford online group, have encountered any problems thus far, but time will tell!
Hi Artemus, Pls look at the link provided and on the 2nd post is a link to a 25 page PDF from Ford about fuel contamination It repeatably says water in the fuel system is NON Warrantable. After reading that PDF, I am glad I have a non-def '12 Ram.

I would bet, since your dealer has not had a water claim he feels the way he does. But, once he eats a 12K denied claim, he will change his tune.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...issues-409633/

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #25
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If you read the dieselstopforum, you will find a few Ford owners with fuel/water issues who have had warranty problems with dealers who claimed improper maintenance, ie fuel filter replacement. DEF was never cited as a factor.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #26
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Jim: That's why I got it in writing. If not , that's why God created Attorneys! Lol
Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #27
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
The dealer does not provide the warranty. Not sure what your dealer signed, but, I would not think he would obligate himself to providing you anything he does not get paid for.

If his service manager signed something, the dealer would just say he did not have the authority to commit the dealership to anything. I would think to commit the dealership he would need to be on the signature card at the bank.

In my 35 years as a dealership employe, only when I was General Manager was I on the signature card and then it took 2 signatures.

If the dealer himself committed to the repair, even if Ford does not pay, that would be a different thing.

I hope none of us ever have to go down this road.

Jim
Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #28
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Jim: the guy who signed it was high up in the dealership. He is in charge of washing the trucks before delivery! I feel confident the agreement will be valid. Also his dad's first cousin's son, knows a guy, who use to work as a mechanic at the dealership, before he got fired for putting DEF directly into the fuel tank of a truck he worked on last winter. I am very confident of my coverage! Lol. Sorry, but after reading the diesel thread, I could not resist! The thread was started with hearsay, and everyone on the diesel forum, just ran with it ! Lol

All the big three Heavy Duty's, are great trucks. I mostly just like to keep these discussions light. Don't have a dog in the fight. So please excuse my remarks, I do not mean to offend anyone!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #29
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I see we have a few shots being fired. I will stick straight to the "which truck", starting with the fact that all three make a great truck. I have not owned a Ford because of something that happened back in the 80's. As for the other two manufacturers, I have owned both. I was a loyal Chevy owner until last year. I wanted a new truck and GM hadn't changed their interiors since forever. That changed this year. In about 200k miles, the Duramax/Allison combo was great. Had to change injectors at 99k miles on the last one - covered under warranty. Last year we bought our first Ram. Contrary to what was said earlier, a 3500 is available with the Aisin medium duty truck transmission. They had a joint venture with Allison, so that eliminated one of the barriers for me switching brands. Prior Rams also had filter issues on the fuel system. In 2013 they now have two fuel filters. We also have one truck and with the SRW, Ram had the capacity for our BiG Sky. The Ram built in GPS is made by Garmin. We also got the Mega Cab, which has the most back seat room of any of the brands including behind seat storage. I believe they all now have the LED interior lights. One item that we did not get was the high mount stop light camera. If you get the convenience group (auto wipers/auto dimming headlights), you can't get the bed camera. We use the second channel on our rear camera system to do the same thing. Hitching with a bed camera is fantastic. Because we live in the mountains, 4x4 is mandatory. Hope this helps.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #30
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
IMHO. I would not buy new. Too much lost when you drive out of the dealership. Diesels last forever. I would find a good used truck that has about 100K miles and no problems. For example, in the MOC marketplace there is a 2007 asking $30K. This would be the first truck that I would look at. My Volvo as 700K miles and runs great. I just will not buy new anymore. Good luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #31
Nu5r
Established Member

M.O.C. #11980
I agree with the majority in that you probably can't go wrong with any of the 'big 3'. I would recommend you stick with a one ton though and think about 4 wheel drive capability. We 'usually' don't camp in the snow, but going to Good Sam events, some are at fairgrounds with grass for the participants. If the grass is wet, you may wish so had 4X4. There are other similar times that having the 4X4 has come in handy. Just my humble opinion. Good luck in your choice.

Ray
Nu5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #32
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

IMHO. I would not buy new. Too much lost when you drive out of the dealership. Diesels last forever. I would find a good used truck that has about 100K miles and no problems. For example, in the MOC marketplace there is a 2007 asking $30K. This would be the first truck that I would look at. My Volvo as 700K miles and runs great. I just will not buy new anymore. Good luck.
Nope, don't think so. The Cummins that used to be 750-1M engines when we had a 5.9l with no emissions on it. Now with the 6.7l engines with the egr system dumping exhaust into the intake, it is now a 250-300K engine.

To compare a Volvo engine with huge oil capacity and dual oil filters to the new 6.7l Ram engines is like apples to grapes.

My pusher had a 3126 CAT 300/860 and held 8 gallons of oil. My new Ram is 350/800 and holds 3 gallons.

Maybe a Volvo engine last forever, but this new light duty diesel class is like a old 460 Ford. 200K AND THEY ARE DONE.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's