Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Lubricity Study

Like most here, I belong to many other forums, including the DieselPlace.com, a forum devoted to GM/Chevrolet diesel trucks. Despite the dedication, the forum has interesting things that applies to all diesel trucks, and one of them is a lubricity study. Although the study is a few years (and the fact that they are getting ready to do another one), given that all diesel fuel today is low sulfur, this study should be of interest to all diesel owners.

At issue is adding additional lubrication to our fuel systems to prolong injector, fuel system and other working parts of our engines. Normally, I'm the first person on a soap box to decry snake oil remedies, and if you read the results, you will see justification to some of these snake oil products. Nevertheless, adding lubricity to the fuel is a good thing, with the usual clarification that you don't need to over do it, and you should stick to proven additives, not something your buddies' uncle's step brother swears by. To that end, I am posting a link to the study for those interested. For myself, I use the Opti-lube XLD. That's not an endorsement, nor do I sell or profit from the sale of said product. I have noticed that our truck runs slightly quieter, but that was never an issue for me.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...y-results.html

BTW: If interested, there is also a study there on air filters which explains why friends don't let friends use K&N type filters.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Tom, this study is 6 years old, there are countless new products out there. But it does get the point across, like you said, it ain't all snake oil.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Regarding the K&N filters, I also learned a lesson regarding them and diesels that ended up costing me $600.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Easy to get led down the wrong road when it comes to performance enhancing products.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just started using Stanadyne Performance Formula. These diesel engines were designed to run 45 Cetane diesel and the diesel we get is only 37, according to a certified machine that a local company here used to check diesel fuel. I an using 8 ounces of Stanadyne that should bring my Centane up up to about 45. Then I decided to go a step farther and bought Centane to increse the fuel to about 50 Centane. About 50 is all that will be of any benefit. So what did it do. Well I don't know. These trucks were designed it start in less than 2 seconds so I cant tell any difference there. I wear hearing aids so I cant tell any difference in the sound so nothing there. Fuel mileage? Again don't know. I went to Hunting Island Sc. last year and again this year. Last year on my first tank of fuel, filled up to the rim I got 10 MPG this year 9.5. I tried to drive the same as I did last year but a few miles per hour difference would make a 1\2 mile difference. I do plan to keep on using it. These new fuel systems cost up to $10,000 to replace and they need the lubricity these products provide, that is cheap insurance.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I use Lucas fuel additive. All I can say is I see no difference in the use, but I know it's at least giving me more lube than I was getting. Only true way to know is tear the engine down and look it over, and that isn't happening here......lol I will say that when I went to get the truck serviced just last week the mechanic said this is one of the best maintained diesels he has ever seen. That made me smile as it's a 2000 with now a little over 140,000 miles. Looks brand new and drives that way also. Not bad for 13 yrs old.

Dave

After thought here is I guess I could get an oil sample and have it tested. Never done that. Just how do you go about that on the road?
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

After thought here is I guess I could get an oil sample and have it tested. Never done that. Just how do you go about that on the road?
There are several ways that can be done. I installed a Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug and can pull a sample without making a huge mess. Check Blackstone-labs.com and you'll find other sampling options as well. I've been using their service for 7 years and have been satisfied. Their reports are very thorough and they can spot trouble before you even have a clue.

I've not used fuel additives so far, but your idea of comparing with lab results is a good one - I think I'll give it a try.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Like MikeM stated I also use Blackstone,they can tell you more about your engine than you ever imagined. Contact them and they will send you a shipping container for your oil sample. When having me oil changed I just ask them to save some in the container
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Tom, you have provided fact-based info and test results on additives. I use the #10 item in your list - Power Service Diesel Kleen. While I dutifully add it, I remain ignorant as to its usefulness. Looks like I need to move up the list for better results. Tks for sharing.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I have added 4 ounces of Motorcraft Cetane booster/lubricator to every tank of fuel in the 46000 miles i have owned the F250 I bought new in Sept '09
My motivation for this is based on information i've found that says most US diesel does not meet optimum cetane rating for he newer HPFP-high cylinder pressure engines.
My Owner's Guide and my service manager recommend this as well
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
These new HPFPs at idle are running over 5000 PSI and pulling your camper at speed will be running 17000 + PSI, and at over $8000 it pays to take care of them. They are fragile a little extra lube can't be anything but good. Most of the time if they go bad your warranty will not pay for it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Thanks, just sent for my oil sample kit from Blackstone. We will see what comes of this and I will let you know the report on this.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Nice study, but I am not sold so I don't use them. JMO.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

Nice study, but I am not sold so I don't use them. JMO.
That's fine. Everyone is allowed to chose between proven facts and their own feelings.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #15
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
This can be a similar discussion to the time when lead was eliminated from gasoline; many products were on the market to substitute lead but actually was not needed. With the elimination of lead, gasoline engines actually lasted longer and ran cleaner within the internal combustion areas.
With the new diesel engines and their environmental restrictions cetane numbers are important and should be posted on pumps. A bit scary when you see some of the tankers hauling todays diesel and question the capability of contamination of product. Also all refineries are not equal and do not abide to spec. parameters like cetane.
Additives that increase cetane numbers are good and provide insurance where numbers may be low because of off spec product being blended or simply moved on to the pumps.
Not like the good ole days when any type of diesel fuel could be dumped in the tank and the fuel would be burnt; maybe not efficiently, but effectively. LOL
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #16
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
With a truck still under warranty, in the event of an engine failure, fuel and oil samples are taken and analyzed. Most additives can and often do bring on warranty challenges. Remember, your owners/operation manual,usually specifically states no additives.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

With a truck still under warranty, in the event of an engine failure, fuel and oil samples are taken and analyzed. Most additives can and often do bring on warranty challenges. Remember, your owners/operation manual,usually specifically states no additives.
My 2006 Chevy warranty listed Stadyne as an approved fuel additive.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Additives serve a lot of purposes besides increasing Lubricity. Increased water dispersal being just one. The water gets dispersed to the water separator and removed from the fuel rather than soaking the fuel filter where it could freeze in the winter and shut you down.

As a professional driver I always used additives and never one had a fuel related problem in over a million miles. Many fleets insist that their company drivers use specific additives because it helps prevent fuel problems increasing up-time.

I also never saw a single proven claim that a manufacturer denied a warranty issue because someone was using a mainstream fuel additive although that claim gets thrown around all the time. You can walk into just about any truck dealership anywhere and buy fuel additives. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Peterbilt, Kenworth... they all sell additives.

Been using Opti Lube and Various Power Service formulations for years. Different seasons - different formulations. Will continue to do so. The additional cost is peanuts compared to the proven benefits.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
water 'dispersants are emulsifiers. That was OK with mechanical injector pumps and less pressure. Ford, and i am sure Dodge and GM also, does not want emulsifiers in the fuel. emulsified, or water in-solution is very not-good and can cause things to come-from-together in the newer engines. Motor-craft Cetane booster is recommended by Ford and does not have emulsifiers or alcohols of ANY kind. Separation and drainage of water at the fuel conditioning module is IMPORTANT. Ford says to drain the HFCM monthly, i do it more often when traveling and buying fuel on the road. Local service manager warned that labeling claiming 'no harmful alcohols' only means that the alcohol used, will not harm the engine. But ALL alcohols are emulsifiers and can cause entrained water which is harmful.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

water 'dispersants are emulsifiers.
Fair point... Not sure if "dispersal" was the best word.

My point was that most additives do more than just lubricate the FS. They might boost cetane, contain detergent packages, perhaps fuel stabilizers.... The also might assist in getting rid of the water in the fuel thru various ways. The two I mentioned do this without alcohol and are not emulsifiers.

I agree that an emulsifier is not generally recommended now a days. Some still dispute that point but the manufacturers don't like them so that's good enough me..

There's lots of debate over water treatments, when to use them etc. But it's pretty universally agreed that ULSD has very poor Lubricity and an additive that improves that is beneficial in preserving the health of the FS.

Kind of like the synthetic vs conventional oil debate.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote