Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Newbie with questions

Hello to all,

My wife and I are looking hard at the Montana line of 5th wheelers and I need to figure out how I am going to tow the thing. Right now I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 and that just ain't gonna get it done. I am looking for opinions on what I should be looking at as far as used diesel trucks capable of towing the "average" Montana. Money is a big object but, we will not be setting out for at least a year so I have some time to look for the right deal.

Please help with your opinion on:

Make
Model
Year(s)
Engine Sise
???

Thanks much!!

Rick & Barb Osgood
Jax Florida

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We like Dodges, but there's plenty of Fords and Chevy's out there. You will find the odd 2500HD (ours is one) that is rated to pull a fully loaded Montana but they are rare and almost always new. You are pretty much looking for a 3500 or 4500 (first pick out the model of Montana you want. Look at it's gross weight and add at least 2,000# for your stuff and the fact that the factory rates are notoriously low then add in the gross weight of the truck and then look on the door and see if the two added together are under the weight indicated on the door) Pin weight can also be an issue. Figure 20% of the weight of the trailer could be in the bed of the truck and then check the door and see how that looks. Don't go by what a new truck will do because the manufacturers have done a lot in recent years to bring up the towing capacity of the larger trucks. Also you'll find that the members of the forum differ on whether to buy a dually or not. If you're pulling in the Kansas wind you'll appreciate the dually. On the other hand you'll notice that's not what we chose.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
I am sure you will get many opinions. They are just that, opinions. If you want to see what people use to tow their Montana then you could pick a thread on the forum and look at the signatures of those who have posted. That will show you what is being used in the real world. That does not say what is best or if it is a good choice but it will give you an idea what others use. If you want to ask someone how they think their truck does then you could click on the envelope icon above their post and email them or you could click on their name on the left and then choose to email them. Good luck.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You will get many opinions. Dick feels a dually might be better in wind. Maybe that's true but we've been fulltiming for more than nine years towing Montanas with single rear wheel trucks (Ford and Dodge 3500) and never had a moment where we felt our control was in danger. Well, we did end up on snow one time until we could get off at the next exit. But single rear wheel (SRW) or dually (DRW) wouldn't have made a difference. I grew up in Kansas and towed fifthwheels in that state for a number of years before we began fulltiming. We have kids/grandkids there so still tow in Kansas now and then.

If you want to stay within the GVWR ratings of your truck then many Montanas will require a dually. The GVWR rating applies to the truck itself when fully loaded and fueled up plus the pinweight of the fifthwheel.

As for gas or diesel, we began our fulltiming with a Ford F350 V10 gasser towing a heavily loaded 2003 Montana 3295RK. It did a good job but really sucked the gas. We towed over Vail Pass and through the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 through Colorado, west to east. The gasser did an ok job but it was struggling in the higher elevations. Shortly after that experience we traded for diesel.

With the diesel, I-70 through Colorado is not difficult. We did slow down but never felt in any danger of not making the grade. Our last trek across Colorado was last year when we took US 50 clear across the state, from west to east, including up and over Monarch Pass at over 11,300 feet. When we crested that pass we both were wondering what's the big deal (the towing part, that is. the scenery there is spectacular - see my signature). The diesel (the Dodge in this case) never worked up a sweat, never got over 216 degrees, and that only briefly.

Bottom line in my mind - gas will do it but diesel wins, hands down. Go with whichever fits your other needs, including your pocketbook.

Some will tell you a longbed rides better than a shortbed. That's just plain not true. It's not bed length, it's distance between axles that affects the ride. For example, our Dodge is a MegaCab shortbed but the wheelbase is equal or longer than that of almost all longbeds out there. So wheelbase is what affects ride, not bed length.

If you go with a shortbed, I very, very, very highly recommend your hitch be a slider, either manual or automatic. You will not need the slide capability very often but when you do..... ask me and many others here how we know. We now have an automatic slider, the pullrite superglide. With that hitch I never have to think about the slider. I just turn the truck and can do everything a longbed can do. With a longbed a slider is not needed.

Somewhere on here is a poll where many of us specified what we tow with. Wow, I just found it with the search engine (something I have trouble with). Here is the link. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...rchTerms=truck

I hope this helps a little.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can only mirror the comments written by Steve above. Having towed my 3400RL for many years with a 2500HD, I know the 3/4 ton will handle the job. Having said that, when the time came to trade the truck, I did step up to the crew cab long bed 1 ton as I knew a new rig was on the horizon. I like the crew cab long beds as my previous 2500HD had a small 25 gallon fuel tank. My 1 ton has a 36 gallon now and I will be upgrading that next summer to a under the bed 60 gallon tank by transfer flow. I spend much of my time on the road out west and in SD, WY, MT, ND fuel stations are a bit sparse every now and then. If you are going to buy a truck, I'd suggest looking at least at a Single Rear Wheel 1 ton if not more. RV ownership is just like owning a boat...2 foot idis. You always wish you had more, both in length and weight on your next coach. If you are going to spend the money, buy as much truck as you can afford. That will give you many more options down the road. Happy shopping and I hope you find the right truck for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks again to all for the feedback.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Biggest advice is pick the trailer first, then you know what you will require to tow it. If you are looking at the larger Montana's up to 40', you will require a one ton. If you do all the numbers, the weakest link in the equation is payload capacity. The setup with the greatest payload capacity is the one ton dual rear wheel. If the tow vehicle is primarily to tow the trailer, it will ideally be a one ton DRW to safely and legally tow your trailer.

Brand comes down to preference. Engine size with a one ton DRW will most likely be well-matched. Gearing is something that will make a big differnce in towing however.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Most 3/4 tons will be over weight with any Montana. IMHO, any diesel dually of the big three will work.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When Steve talks my ears always perk up. There is a lot of every day experience there. He has been there done that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
If you are just towing like a 34fter or less you could save alot of money buying a gas motor over diesel, I have a reliable ford V10 gas f350 it does a great job and has very little maintnance , you could buy a V10 ALOT cheaper than a diesel, yes they suck more gas but then again it burns cheap 87 octane unleaded ... just a thought.. also if you buy a gas motor whether it be ford dodge chevy GET THE RIGHT GEAR RATIO! 4.10 ratio at least
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

If you are just towing like a 34fter or less you could save alot of money buying a gas motor over diesel, I have a reliable ford V10 gas f350 it does a great job and has very little maintnance , you could buy a V10 ALOT cheaper than a diesel, yes they suck more gas but then again it burns cheap 87 octane unleaded ... just a thought.. also if you buy a gas motor whether it be ford dodge chevy GET THE RIGHT GEAR RATIO! 4.10 ratio at least
If you opt for this option, be sure to check the GCWR. Gas trucks have much lower GCWRs than diesels. As an example, the GCWR for a truck exactly like mine only a gasser is 16,000...nearly the weight of the Montana by itself.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks to all for the feedback.... Always open to more