Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Decals failing on 2006 Montana

If you have a Montana, the chances are pretty good that eventually the decals will start peeling and start to look pretty bad. It is important that you contact Montana as soon as you see a hint of failure. Ours have been starting to peel on the edges for a few years but not bad enough to get all worked up about. Now they are really getting bad. Contacted Montana and they refuse to supply new decals because our unit is too old even though they admit they installed defective decals on that years model.

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ever heard about defective decals being installed on a 06 Montana. Our 06 held up well for 5 years then went bad fast in the 6th year. A professional graphic shop in Ohio looked at our graphics and examined a graphic that Keystone had sent me and said they were graphics that were intended to last 5 to 7 years with proper care. Said they coud install graphics that would last about forever IF i wanted to pay the price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Have exchanged several emails with Robyn at Montana. They know the decals that were installed on the 2006 Montana's were not up to acceptable standards but are no longer replacing them for customers. When a company admits they have delivered a substandard product they should accept responsibility for not living up to Montana's standards. A reputable company would have done a recall and replaced them since it has been a known problem for several years.

I guess having ugly looking Montana's going down the road and parked in resorts/campgrounds is acceptable to them. Not very good advertising.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Peeling decals, particularly on the cap, have been an issue with Montana for years. Guess since they sell more fifthwheels than anybody else, they just dont care.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Keystone replaced our graphics on the front at no cost. (2007) However, we had to remove them and put the new ones on (which I have yet to complete). According to what they told me, they would replace them if they were available. Just a speculation here but perhaps Keystone is having trouble getting the older graphics their-selves since Burlington’s are not supplying them anymore on their web site.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
CS in this area is spotty. Several here have had the graphics replaced by Montana, and others (including mw) have not. It seems to depend on the phase of the moon, or something. When they start to go, they really look shabby, but Montana doesn't seem to care.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
When we experienced a problem with our 08 cap graphics, Burlington was very prompt sending us replacements. I never got around to replacing them because they weren't too bad. After sitting in Florida for a year it looks like the sides are also peeling badly. So now I ask myself, "self, should I replace the cap and remove the sides or remove everything and look like a refrigerator"?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
A year ago this month, we had every graphic on our 2007 Montana replaced. You know where this story is going . . . yep, we noticed this week that the graphics are starting to peel again. Sure hate to end up with a trashy-looking trailer, but we are NOT going through the trouble and expense of having them replaced again. Keystone helped us out last time, but the labor still cost us an arm and a leg. Nope, let 'em peel.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
If your dealer replaced the graphics a year ago and they are peeling, I would press very, very hard for them to redo the job at their cost. If we Montana Owners cannot expect decals to last more than a year something is seriously wrong.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I didn't ask if replacement decals are avaialable if I was willing to pay for them. Does anyone know?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I'm not sure our original dealer ever wants to see us again. When we had the replacement graphics put on there, several were put on crooked and several damaged ones had not been replaced at all (the replacements were returned to us in the shipping box, go figure). We didn't accept the trailer "as is," and had the dealer redo the graphics that were sloppily applied as well as replace the damaged ones that hadn't been replaced. What started out as a time-consuming job to begin with ended up being an extensive job that wasn't finished until the afternoon we pulled out from the dealership on our way to a rally (after sitting for most of the day in the service department waiting room, because the rig was supposed to be ready when we got there in the morning, but it wasn't).

Not going through that again, and I wouldn't expect another dealer to have to fix what was a Keystone problem from day one. Keystone needs to step up and pay for the labor and graphics needed to repair something that should have lasted more than a year.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We have (supposedly) the new and improved graphics on our 2012. I just wonder how long they will last. They only lasted 4 years on our 06.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I walked around Monty today to see exactly where it was peeling. The front cap of course and the street side about mid point to the rear. The back and the curb side look great. Go figure.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My front and driver side are bad too. I assumed it was because where I store it here in Arizona, the driver side is facing the southwest - sunny side. But maybe that isn't the reason since you have the same problem.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
In Illinois and Florida the front always faced west.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't think it is a case of Keystone not caring but rather a case of are they still made and available. Keystone does not make graphics they buy graphics from a vendor. If the vendor no longer makes that year graphics or has them in stock where will they come from. My guess is they can be special ordered and special made but at a price.

We Had mentioned that these graphics were meant to last 5 to 7 years with proper maint and that was from a professional graphics shop. Now we never waxed the graphics as per Burlington graphics and did the maint as per Burlington graphics.. The graphics did well up to last year then started to go bad fast. Not all of them but most of them. It has been out in the Arizona and Florida winter sun for its entire life.

I feel they lived up to the design characteristics. We are not happy that they now look like crap after 6 years an we went to the full body paint on the 12 big sky.....That had better solve the issue.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Don't think it is a case of Keystone not caring but rather a case of are they still made and available. Keystone does not make graphics they buy graphics from a vendor. If the vendor no longer makes that year graphics or has them in stock where will they come from. My guess is they can be special ordered and special made but at a price.

We Had mentioned that these graphics were meant to last 5 to 7 years with proper maint and that was from a professional graphics shop. Now we never waxed the graphics as per Burlington graphics and did the maint as per Burlington graphics.. The graphics did well up to last year then started to go bad fast. Not all of them but most of them. It has been out in the Arizona and Florida winter sun for its entire life.

I feel they lived up to the design characteristics. We are not happy that they now look like crap after 6 years an we went to the full body paint on the 12 big sky.....That had better solve the issue.
How do you know what Montana's design characteristics were? Are we not supposed to take our Montana 5th wheels out in the sun? I don't think we need someone making excuses for Montana. It is quite clear just based on the responses in this post that there is a problem that Montana should take care of.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
When we bought our 2010, dealer told us Keystone warranted the graphics for three years. Have had our 2010 now for 2+ years, no issue yet. One key: no wax or polish on those graphics; that will contribute to premature (whatever that is) wearout.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Depending on the climate even paint will not last forever. From my experience with vinyl graphics on cars and trucks if you expose the unit to the weather constantly getting 5 to 7 years is about what you are going to get. A good quality paint properly maintained will last up to 15 years. Again it depends on the climate and the care it is given.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert RVer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

How do you know what Montana's design characteristics were? Are we not supposed to take our Montana 5th wheels out in the sun? I don't think we need someone making excuses for Montana. It is quite clear just based on the responses in this post that there is a problem that Montana should take care of.
Did not say anything about Montana's design characteristics' What i said was to clarify, is that we took some graphics that Montana had sent us and let a local professional graphics shop look at them and they evaluated those graphics and said they were of a quality that should last 5 to 7 years with proper care. The problem would be that the quality of the graphics are such that they should last from 5 to 7 years with proper maint.

We said nothing about how Montana should handle the problem. IMO If Montana said they were defective then they should cover the cost of replacement. That the graphics may not be in production any more is Montana's problem.

This professional graphics shop has graphics on boats on Lake Erie that are over 10 years old and could for a price install graphics on this Montana that would last a very long time. I am sure Montana could do the same IF we were willing to pay the price???