Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Honda 2000 generator problem

For once not a Montana problem. We are dry camping for a bit and our Honda 2000 which doesn't get a lot of use has a problem. It cycles when it isn't running full out. It will run fine for a few seconds and then revert to cycling, it is worse with the switch in the econo mode. Have changed the plug, cleaned the spark arrestor and have run two tanks of gas through it that has "gum-out" in it. Have always use Stabil in it and haven't had any problem before.

To add injury to insult, this morning it really got wild and fried our two satellite TV receivers and one of them wasn't even on! It is going to cost us a bundle to get them replaced since the are Canadian--Star Choice. My bad. Should have had them plugged into a surge protector. Can't believe that we have never had a problem with them in our travels to Mexico and other places with bad electricity.

If anyone has had a similar generator problem, what did you do to get it fixed?? Thanks.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Doesn't sound to good. Did the receivers smoke up or do they just not work any more? Sounds like the Honda needs to go into a service center for a tune-up. I thought my SC receivers had a life time warranty on them... maybe not. They are usually pretty good about this kind of stuff.
Give them a call 1 866 star-web

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I had a surging problem with one of my Hondas and, after taking the carburettor apart to see if something was causing the float to stick, I discovered the carb bolts had loosened and air was getting in around the gasket. Once the bolts were tightened, everything returned to normal.

Frying the receivers might indicate a problem with the control unit, though.

Good luck,

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote