Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
AC Cover or Leave Uncovered

Got a question is it better to cover the AC on top of the Monty when in storage or leave it uncovered?
I have installed a half dozen central home units, with the out side condensing unit they should be left uncovered, correct?

Ozz this one's for you.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Depends on if your coach is inside or out. Mine is inside and I dont cover either of my a/c units. The 6 people I know who store theirs outside cover up their a/c. They claim it keeps snow and ice from getting into the unit and expanding in there. Also helps in the spring keep the bees and other bugs out. The outside unit at the stick house is uncovered all winter.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Sky is right, never thought of it that way (bugs, expansion, etc.) I used to cover mine every winter, as I originally was concerned that snow would blow in there and then leak inside when it melted. After taking the AC apart for other reasons, I realized there is no way for snow to melt and leak inside the RV. After the mice ate holes in my dang cover while it was stored in the basement, I just quit using it.

I guess now I would have to re-think that if I ever store outside again.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote