Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
warning! Spare Tire Missing

For you that have your spare tire locked in place...disregard this warning. Ours is missing. We checked it when we left Indiana and all was OK. We also checked it at various places on way home. It was OK in Nebraska when we arrived there. So it disappeared last day there in Neb.... It was a brand new Michland tire!!! I told Don many times to put a lock on it. I told him before we left home and he didn't. Wish I had figured a way to do it myself. Anyway it is gone. So please someway lock your spare tire onto the Montana's.

After talking to each other we know exactly when that tire disappeared. It was the last night at the RV park near Grand Island. Because we saw it before we went to bed that night. It was tight and secure too. Was gone next morning.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Was it stolen, or did it fall off?
I have, like Rich and others, a web wrap on mine, maybe it would slow them down if they try to steal it, long enough for me to give them an attitude adjustment.
Sorry for your loss.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
It was stolen. Because you have to crank down to get the tire out and they cranked it back up after they got it off!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear that your tire has been stolen. Amazing what some folks will do these days. Guess I better head out and check to see if mine is still there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well at least they were thoughtful enough to crank the bracket back up so it would not drag on the road. They are only partial skuzzballs and you could have been the victim of a full blown skuzzball. Sorry you got ripppppppppppped off.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks for the warning. I'm sure we'll put a lock on ours now.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
What do you suppose somebody is going to do with a spare Montana tire and wheel...it's not like you can stick on any ol' vehicle.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Dag knabitt scowndrells...

Sorry to hear about that.
But thanks for the reminder to those that dont currently have a lock and to those of us who currently dont have a montana. I will put that on my list of things to buy when my tana comes in.

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Oh man! I just thought we will have to buy a wheel too!

There were several Montana's in that park that last night, we were there, and none were MOC members. We checked with them that night before we went to bed. We always tell them about the MOC when we see them. Were two 2006 Montana the 3400's and another older Montana, about a 2000 model I think, forget which year. They told us what year, just don't remember. There was a 2005, like ours but they left before this happened. I knew them and know they wouldn't do something like that. They are MOC members.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Can't believe a thief would crank the cable back up (think about it, get the goods and RUN). Some one on the highway got a good reaction test. JMO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm thinking along the lines of bigmurf as well.
After reading what others have posted about these spares, and seeing it for myself after a full wheel change, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it just fell off.
I would be thankfull it didn't take anything else with it...and hope the phone doesn't ring from your insurance company in case it did.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
It couldn't have just fell off! We checked it at every fuel stop and every park. It was tight and secure. And the thing was cranked back up!!after they removed it!

So maybe we wouldn't see it

How could have that happened? It didn't crank itself. It was stolen that last night we were at that park. We know when it left the trailer because it was there when we went to bed. The spare tire is under the end and under the kitchen and we wouldn't have heard it. These people that I think took it had two "look outs."(3 people in that trailer) Montana 3400...
Anyway the morning we left.... these people were gone. Must have left in the wee hours of the morning. We left early and they were already gone. Our tire was missing that morning. They had had a flat on the road, they told us when we saw them come into the park. They are not MOC members and don't have any interest in joining as we were told.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dusty, it's awful to think that some other Montana owners stole your tire. That's pretty low! Sorry to hear of this ugly experience.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That is really disturbing...to think you were keeping an eye on it and someone decided to help themselves...

I would like to believe people have the best of intentions and are honest about things, but unfortunately, that isn't the way things are anymore.
I'd hate to think we need to start putting everything away at night and have motion sensor lights to thwart would be thieves.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #15
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
I've got words for them, but this is a family site...so you can fill in ANY words ya want.

A word of caution about a lock under the trailer...they have a habit of getting filled with dirt, muck and whatever. You might want to maybe wrap the lock in 'shrink wrap' of something to help keep it clean.

Had my spare tire on a truck all locked in, BUT when I needed it, couldn't get the key in the lock. Can you say bolt cutters?

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perhaps the park can tell you who they are.The park had to have the record when they checked in..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The park is not helping. Owner is a jerk! and that is saying it nicely. He put us in an end site with a building in back of us and another one close to side. No one in front or back. Anyone could take anything and not be seen. We didn't like that spot but didn't think any problem there in an area like that.
The reason I think those particular people took it is the other Montana was an insurance man; there for the storm that hit that area. Other older Montana didn't take it either. We talked to the people we think may have taken it and something was not right there. We both had a gut feeling about them. Can't remember everything he said but what he said was fishy. We both felt very uneasy around them. 2006 Montana is what they had. It was replacement from Keystone because of fire. I could be wrong. But don't think so. Don also thinks those are the people.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
(2006 Montana is what they had. It was replacement from Keystone because of fire. I could be wrong. But don't think so. Don also thinks those are the people) Wait a min..that story sounds familiar???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:44 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

I wouldn't discount the possibility it just fell off either. If the cable was cranked back up tight against the pully, then you probably had a thoughtful thief, but if it was cranked back up to the original position you sure could have just lost it on the road. Not sure you would even feel it go.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #20
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
[quote][I wouldn't discount the possibility it just fell off either. If the cable was cranked back up tight against the pully, then you probably had a thoughtful thief, but if it was cranked back up to the original position you sure could have just lost it on the road. Not sure you would even feel it go.
/quote]

That is not going to work. It was there when we went to bed on Sept 30, last night there and it was gone when we were hooking up next morning. Sooooooooo how could it just fall off while we were sleeping???
That is just one of the things Don checks on his evening check list before bedtime. I had not known he had checked this when I made the first post about this.

You all can believe whatever you want but it disappeared while we were sleeping on night of Sept. 30.
You can bet your boots we will have a couple of locks on it when it is replaced! We have some gun locks that should work fine. The kind that have the metal with plastic coated rope. That is hard to cut but could be cut with bolt cutters I think. Why make it easy!!