Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 04:20 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
First Trip Today withNew Monty-questions

On our 2955RL the hot water tank is working off gas now. Is it only gas or is there a way to use electric at the camp site?

Would you do any maintenance on first trip, like lube slider mechanisms, slider seals etc?

Any other words of wisdom or suggestions on what to do and look for on the first outing?

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have fun, drive with care, have some one watch as you back into site if that is necessary, measure where the slides will go, so you don't take out a power pole when you extend.

Have fun, oh, said that!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and Nancy, on the outside of your rig there is a cover over the water heater control panel. On that panel should be a switch to turn on the electric element. You may have to remove a pin. It can be hard to see this switch as it can be behind some of the piping.

Be sure to never have this element turned on when the water heater is empty. It will fry the element in a matter of seconds. That's not covered by warranty. We find on ours it is easier to leave that switch turned on all the time and use the breaker inside the Montana to turn it off and on. Ours is on a dedicated circuit so is the only thing on that breaker. Plus, our breaker panel is easy to access.

You can run both electric and gas at the same time. The water will get no hotter that way but recovery time will be reduced.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ray,

Just a thought, do you know where the galley pull for the kitchen sink is?? Seems to be something the dealers sorta don't show you??

Look near tires, opposite kitchen area, if you don't!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You can do the right things at the wrong time. Sequence is everything. The devil is in the details. That is why we use extensive checklists for setting up and decamping protocols. It only takes one time of dropping your fiver on your tailgate to go into trauma. Pilots and astronauts use them no matter how much they practice or fly. If it is exssential for them when someone else is paying the bill, why not me when I have to pay all the bills.

Have a great shakedown cruise in your land yacht.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bob and Nancy, we have the 2955RL as you do. When we are "on the road", we leave the electric switch in the "ON" position for the water heater. Then when we plug in a a new site, the water heater comes on. When we unplug to leave, guess what? the water heater goes off (electricity that is). We rarely use propane unless, for example, we both want to take a shower in sequence.

I have a checklist/log that I use for every setup. If you would be interested in seeing it, you can click on:

www.dwilliamson.com/RVchecklist.xls

This is an Excel worksheet. There are two pages which I print front and back: checklist on one side, log on the other.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Could you explain the useage of this form. I didn't understand the top portion Place Number a /
Place Number B
Also you have several numbers at the top. I like the form just want to use it the way you intended as it will probably be far more useful in the long run.

Thanks for making it available.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Good questions, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify. The numbers relate directly to the log numbers on the reverse side. There is space for TWO checkout marks in each "square" or "cell". Place "a" = site "1"; Place 'b' = site two, both in the same square: / for 1(a) and \ for 2(b). [I see now that I should have just used numbers. The letters only confuse.] At Camground Lazy Lake I go all the way down column 1 with / slashes when I have completed that action in the check list. Using the same column at Hilltop the next day I go all the way down with \ slashes when I have completed that action at Hilltop. On the reverse side Line 1 is for Lazy Lake and Line 2 is for Hilltop. And so on all the way across. When I fill up the 34 different sites (Log and Checklist) I keep the filled out sheet for a permanent log. I have easier ways of keeping mileage, but that could easily be added in the comments column on the log.

One last observation. I use the checklist ONLY for "take off" not for landing. I have never felt the need for a checklist in setting up at a site, but it is leaving for on road travel that I find a checklist of necessity. Thus for each new camp site, there is only one checklist/log entry.

On my latest trip (Southeast US) I made 7 different camp stops. I have the name of the campground, the town address, and the sites on which we set up with my evaluation of that campground and that site. (This is the comment/Notes column.)

The Column labled "stay" is just the number of nights at that place. If I stay 2 weeks, there is still only the one entry.

Hope this helps. It's a lot easier to do than it is to explain. I print this on one sheet of 8.5X11 paper and carry it on the cabinet for use everytime I set up for travel on the road. By the way, I will use it tomorrow morning with the City/address as "HOME" and that will occupy line 27 on my current log and the / slash marks in column 27-28 on the checklist. We are leaving for Colorado.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote