Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
stillcampin
Established Member

M.O.C. #16050
Where do I mount my towing gadgets in the truck?

My desire to tow as safely as possible feeds my tendency towards being a gadget freak.

This has led me to have and/or order several safety-related gadgets for my recently ordered truck, each with it's own display to find a home for.

Any suggestion on where I'm going to put these controls/displays?

These items include:

- GPS (RV-specific routing)
- TPMS
- Rear / side view cameras
- Height "radar" (GiraffG4)

And I'll also have the control unit for a VHF/UHF ham radio.

stillcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
May not work for you, but on our Silverado, it is configured as follows:

GPS is mounted on front windshield with suction cup mount at dash level to the left of center so it is visible beside rear view camera.

Rear view camera monitor (Voyager) is mounted in center of dash on mount that Jensen Direct sells on it's web-site. Here is what I have:

Camera Monitor Mount

TPMS monitor is on the center console in the stand that came with it. on a small ledge above the cup holders.

Giraffe stays in the zoo!!

Everything can be removed quickly and safely secured except for the monitor mount which is screwed in.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Before buying a truck with built in GPS I sat my Garmin on the dash in one of the bean bag type bases low enough that I could easily see over it. But then I am tall. And I could easily move it to the floorboard, out of sight/out of mind when not driving. I think it would need a clear view up thru the windshield to catch as many sats as possible for accuracy.

My TPMS is mounted via a suction cup windshield mount, but again as low as possible, just barely above the dash so I can see over it also. I would think it needs to be high enough to receive signal from the trailer mounted sensors thru the back window, so mounting it much lower than I do may interfere with the signal.

Rear view camera is built in. Don't have the other one so can't comment. But I don't like things mounted high on the windshield and having wires hanging down. And in some states, I think it is illegal to mount things to the windshield.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Made my own mount out of wood and velcro that way I have it all installed looking at me the way I want it. We off road with the truck from time to time and I've never had anything come loose or fly around.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What brand of truck do you have? It makes a difference.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
stillcampin
Established Member

M.O.C. #16050
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

What brand of truck do you have? It makes a difference.
Sorry about that. Too many forums. I didn't realize I hadn't updated my signature here. Now done.

FYI: I'm currently looking at the RAM mounts for the gadgets.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
This does not account for all your gadgets but I bought a Ram cup holder mount for my rear, side camera monitor and leave it in one of the center council cup holders. This keeps it off the dash. For my TPMS I bought a small piece of kydex off Amazon. I cut a piece as wide as my TPMS monitor and about 4 inches long. I heated it with a hair dryer and bent about 1 1/2" up approx 90 degrees. You can also put a twist in this bend so the monitor sets Square on the dash. I attached the monitor to the bent piece with 3M Scotch All Weather fasteners. I attached the unit to the top of my dash on the far left side with the Scoth fasteners. You can position this so it is angled towards you so it can be easily observed. The power cord for the monitor goes down the back corner of the dash and connected to one of my Ford power toggle switches.
Simpson9508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
About those suction cup mounts to the windshield... some states don't allow anything mounted to the windshield for whatever reason, therefore you might need to consider some kind of dash mount.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I don't know what's worse, texting while driving or all these gadgets . Just kidding, I have some too.
In order to remove one small item (your choice) from the windshield, I took a plastic butter cup, filled it with sand for weight, and glued the lid on. I then glued a strong plastic disk to the lid. I can now place the butter cup in a cup holder in the middle console and suction cup a small item to it (GPS, tire pressure monitor etc.). This removed one gadget from the windshield and helps clear up some visibility.
I haven't yet heard of anyone being stopped by the police for an obstructed windshield, though I suspect it has happened. Just keep in mind, God forbid an accident occurs, it's possible to make a case that you could not see well enough to avoid the problem because of all the 'gadgets' on your windshield. It's a good idea to keep the gadgets to a minimum.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #10
stillcampin
Established Member

M.O.C. #16050
The TPMS display is quite small so it will probably reside in the left window corner with the GPS nearby. The Giraffe is small but relatively long and it will probably be in the right side window corner. I'll probably use a Ram mount in the passenger cup holder for the ham radio control head. I'm still up in the air on what to do with the display for the RV cameras. It needs to be in view with minimum eyes off road time but it isn't needed constantly. It is likely to be on the dash in the center of the window, hopefully only blocking the view of the hood.