Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Where Oh Where

The slideout on the driver side of the RV in front, next to the bed in the corner, the carpet gets damp during a rain.

We have slideout covers.

I found the grommet on the antenna wire lead-in was off & fit loosely on the connection. I slid the grommet back a little, filled the grommet with lap sealant caulk, replaced the grommet on the connection & covered the top & bottom of the grommet with lap sealant. I thought that fixed it.

We had a driving rain last night & the carpet is damp again.

Any suggestions. I can't seem to find any caulking the seems loose. I had taken a hose & starting at the bottom, ran water against the side seams & the only time I got water was from the antenna connection. Is it possible the rain is leaking under the antenna swivel. And if it is, how can I caulk that.

Thanks, Larry-P

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Try lifting the slide out tape at the corner. Likely a gap in the sealant under the tape. Only takes a pinhole size gap/crack.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many of us have had to reseal the bottom 4" trim piece on the outside of the slide, on the bottom. For those of us who did that, the problem went away.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry-P

The slideout on the driver side of the RV in front, next to the bed in the corner, the carpet gets damp during a rain.

We have slideout covers.

I found the grommet on the antenna wire lead-in was off & fit loosely on the connection. I slid the grommet back a little, filled the grommet with lap sealant caulk, replaced the grommet on the connection & covered the top & bottom of the grommet with lap sealant. I thought that fixed it.

We had a driving rain last night & the carpet is damp again.

Any suggestions. I can't seem to find any caulking the seems loose. I had taken a hose & starting at the bottom, ran water against the side seams & the only time I got water was from the antenna connection. Is it possible the rain is leaking under the antenna swivel. And if it is, how can I caulk that.

Thanks, Larry-P
Check the Eternabond tape on the slide roof. The screws they use are countersink screws that are not countersunk. They stick up and the sealing tape wears through at the screw locations.
Mark
Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
DQDick,

Do I need to remove the trim to seal it??

Or do I dig out the caulk that's on the seam & re-caulk.

Or re-caulk over the old caulk.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We just had the same issue, also on the bedroom slide, front of slide. Turned out to be a slight gap in the window frame seal on the front facing slide wall. I removed the excess sealant around the edge of the frame and caulked the edge of the frame with black silicone sealant. It hasn't leaked since. This is the second window in a slide that has leaked and I fixed both the same way.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:51 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We had the same leak in the same location. I removed the caulking on the top side of the bottom 4 inch trim piece and re-caulked. Problem solved!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Many of us have had to reseal the bottom 4" trim piece on the outside of the slide, on the bottom. For those of us who did that, the problem went away.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You asked if water can come in from the antenna base and the answer is yes, if you haven't did the lube to the shaft from the roof under the nut on the base. If the series of o-rings dry out, leaks can happen. John
Old 04-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry-P

DQDick,

Do I need to remove the trim to seal it??

Or do I dig out the caulk that's on the seam & re-caulk.

Or re-caulk over the old caulk.
I just dig it out and recaulk. Worked great for about two years, then I did it again because I saw the old caulk had weathered and so I replaced it before it got a chance to leak again. We spend the summers in Kansas and the winters in Arizona and New Mexico so the sun works on it pretty good.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Thanks everyone for the help. We're from Illinois & spend the winter in Mesa AZ which has little rain. Illinois has considerably more rain than here & I can imagine how wet that corner would be after a normal heavy Illinois rain.

We just got back from Sedona & the carpet is really wet. I'll work on the 4" trim & windows tomorrow & pray that will fix it.

We're thinking of leaving to go back to Illinois on Wednesday so I need to fix this leak asap.

Larry-P
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Sometimes, I think, if you are not quite level side to side, the water will run into the trailer instead of to the outside. On my units, I think the seals at the top don't quite cover the corners completely and water can run down the edge.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
kayakfisher

M.O.C. #11779
I have had water leak at front slide out by closet just below the base of slide out when extended .carpet wet on floor but looks like seals are good and no trail of water and no pooling on top of slide out. Have not been able to find source. Any suggestions ?
kayakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 AM   #13
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Here's a follow up on our leaking problem

I followed DQDick's suggestion & removed the caulk from the bottom 4 inch molding on the bedroom slideout. But I also removed the caulk on the 4 inch molding on each side.

After digging out all of the caulk, or as much as possible, I washed the area with Awesome cleaner & followed that up with a alcohol wipe down. I waited about 3 to 4 hours to be sure everything was dry. Bought new tubes of DAP silicone caulk & sealed the molding edges.

This was all done in Mesa AZ last week. We're here in Iowa & went thru a rain storm last night. Wa-la. No leaks. It appears that the leak is fixed. If anything changes I'll report it.

Thank you DQDick for the help. Water damage is the worst & I'm glad the leak is fixed before things got ruined.