Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Cummins/Onan Generator

I have a 2013 3402RL and had a Cummins/Onan 5.5 lp gas generator installed when we purchased the unit. Don't run it more than a couple of hours at a time normally but we had the frame crack in our unit so we used the generator the night before we dropped it off at our dealer for repair. It ran a 40lb tank of gas dry (about 9 hours). The unit was taken back to Keystone factory for repair and it was in the care of our Dealer and Keystone from October 14 to March of 15. I started the generator when I picked it up but only ran it for a short time. We've been unable to get it to run longer than 37 minutes with A/C load on the unit since. It's been to a Cummins service center where they put in a baffle to the tune of $620 our dealer graciously picked up but it did not solve the problem. It's with our dealer now. They've replaced the regulator on the unit and now the carb still no success. Anyone have similar issues?

jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My generator will consume a lot of LP also. I think my tanks are only 30lb tanks. Someone on here did upgrade to 40 lb tanks as it gave them an extra 25 percent capacity. My 5500 Gold works fine but it sure gets hot with just a hole in the bottom for ventilation. Seemed to run both AC's and whatever else fine. Not sure why you can only get 37 minutes of use.

Tom Marty
Old 10-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I had that problem when the unit was new. What was happening was the hot air from the cooling exhaust was hitting the ground and bouncing back up into the intake. That would cause the unit to over heat and shut down. Onan added a deflector to push the air to the side and that solved the problem. If the dealer had to remove the generator to fix your frame flex then maybe that was not put back on. That deflector is suppose to be standard on the new units.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Thanks for the replies. The burn rate of LP seems to be right on the specs I've seen. I'm happy with that but we just can't get it to run. I've upgraded to the 40 lb tanks. we had to move the tank switchover device and use slightly longer hoses out to the tanks. Minimal effort & expense.

The Cummins service center I took the unit to said the hot air was causing the problem but after they installed the baffle/deflector there has been no change. It still won't run long. In fact sometimes it won't even start as happened to my Montana dealer when I dropped it off 3 weeks ago. They are still trying to figure out the problem since they've changed regulators and carb.

The Cummins Service center I used pretty much started bad mouthing the 5th wheel installations as soon as I checked in claiming they didn't do a unit specific test as they do in motor homes. My response was they had no problem selling me a $6000 unit so I expect it to work! I took it in while it was still in warranty and the problem was not fixed. Now it is out of the 2 year parts and labor portion of the warranty. Hard to get answers out of Cummins as to whether they will cover the costs since it was originally brought in prior to the expiration of the 2 year parts and labor portion of the warranty. I just want the unit to work!
Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
I wanted to do an update to my original post. My selling dealer dealer, RCD in Pataskala, OH, asked me to bring my unit back to them to see if they could fix my generator issue so I did. It too a week or so to track the problem down but they found and fixed the problem. Turned out to be a crimped fuel line not visible unless you drop the generator. Cummins should have dropped the unit to check it but they did not. Since I'd taken the generator to Cummins prior to the initial warranty expiration yet they didn't get it fixed I felt like they should be responsible for the repair. It got to the point where I suggested to my salesman that RCD get involved and get my generator fixed. RCD stepped up and got the repair done at no cost to me.

So I've had the unit back in hand just over a month. I ran it for over an hour right after I got it home. Started it yesterday in 15 degree weather and ran it 30 minutes with no problem. Nice to have it useable again.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
With this deflector installed does the unit still get hot enough to smell like something burning or ready to burn? I will have to check and see if I can see a deflector of some type. Of course that is if I ever get my unit back from the dealer.

Tom Marty
Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #7
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Dam Worker, There has never been a burning smell with my generator. We were never able to get the generator to run longer than 37 minutes while on our month long trip in August even with the deflector. I think the Cummins service center was just grasping to find something to get me out the door. As soon as I checked in all they could do was complain about how much time they put into the 5th wheel applications and that the installs were never tested as they were with motor homes. Cummins is happy to sell us the units however and I can't help but think Keystone tested them at some point. Ours worked fine initially but some how the fuel line got crimped so gas couldn't flow very long and the generator would shut down. The real test will come next season when I can get a real load on it but so far it's working great. I was able to start it 2 days ago in 15 degree temp and it ran fine for 30 minutes.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 AM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I am glad to hear that it appears that your generator issue is hopefully solved. We appreciate our units more when the equipment actually work as it is supposed to.

Tom Marty
Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #9
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
I agree Dam Worker. This is the second year in a row I've had to take mine to our dealer for issues. 2014 we had a cracked frame and the unit had to be sent back to Keystone for repair and this year it was the generator and 50% or more of the roof staples working out. Hopefully this is the end of our issues.