Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Fridge not working on gas option - maybe

My "fridge", Dometic and a new one, fails to work when on the road, and only after 3-4 hours driving time. It works fine plugged into AC, with the gas option selected. Any ideas as to the culprit and trouble shooting ideas that I might try?

Thanks, Jim

Note: Suggest moving this topic to MOC on M.A.R.S Technical and Trouble Section where it is probably more appropriate - Thanks, Jim

Topic moved as requested to an appropriate forum. Please note the author can do this themselves by clicking on the "Edit" icon (the one with a piece of paper and a pen) which is usually the third one on the top line. = CRAFT-Guy

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Jim,.
It should be on auto. That way it runs on elect when plugged in and switches to gas when you unplug the power automatically.
You say you are in the gas option.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If I understand what you wrote, the refer does *NOT* work on propane when on the road and does work on propane when plugged into 120V AC. The difference in these two situations is the supply of 12V. On the road, the 12V comes from the battery. When parked, the 12V comes from the battery *AND* the converter. It really sounds like your 12V battery is not healthy. But on the road, the TV should supply enough 12V (via the truck's 12V charge line) to operate the refer. It seems like you might also have a blown fuse in the charge circuit on the TV.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Carl,
Yes, this is exactly what it is doing. The SG is where it should be on the battery, which is only about 3 years old. When I fitst unplug, it works fine on propane for a couple hours at least, and plugged in to the TV. Is this the 40A fuse in the TV that you are referring to, or a different one? And where would I find it? Thanks for your response and understanding of the problem.

Jim
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
O.K. I am still unclear on what exactly is going on.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsrang

The SG is where it should be on the battery, which is only about 3 years old.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "SG"?

Quote:
quote:
When I fitst unplug, it works fine on propane for a couple hours at least, and plugged in to the TV.
I am having trouble understanding this statement. I think you mean once you unplug (from either shore power or the TV) it works for a few hours and then quits cooling. Correct?

Similarly, if plugged into the TV or shore power, the refer works fine. Correct?

When the refer quits cooling are there any lights or displays on the control panel?

Quote:
quote:
Is this the 40A fuse in the TV that you are referring to, or a different one? And where would I find it?
I don't know what size fuse Chevy uses (my Fords have been either 30 or 20 amp fuses) nor where it is located exactly. It is located in the fuse box under the hood and not in the fuse box under the dash. The manual should identify it as a 12V RV Line (or something similar). You can test if it is working by checking the voltage on the 12V Charge Line pin on your 7 pin plug. Looking at the tv's plug, the 12V one is at 1 o'clock relative to the notch. I believe Chevy's and Dodges leave the circuit hot even when the ignition key is off.

I am assuming the problem is the refer works fine on propane *IF* plugged into shore power (120V AC) *OR* plugged into the TV.

Conversely, the refer on propane will work for a short period on 12V battery power only (4 hours or so) and then it quits.

The refer always needs 12V (for the circuit board) even if running on 120V AC. The converter and the TV both supply 12V to the battery and make it appear as the battery is supplying the voltage (even if it is completely discharged) to the rest of the coach.

Given all the above assumption and guesses, it must be the battery. The drain due to the refer, along with the normal parasitic drains, sucks the life out of the battery in a few hours. While the battery may show 12.4 +/- volts, a load test will show it has no capacity.

When the refer quits, do the all the 12V light quit too? If they work and the refer doesn't then the cause is beyond me.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Carl,
Thanks for your input and assessment. It is a big help. SG is specific gravity of each battery cell which shows in the normal fully charged range (4 balls floating). Sounds like my problem is in the DC system, possibly a bad Monty battery, but most likely my TV charging system (fuse?). Do you know how much DC voltage is needed for the refer to work properly?

The refer works fine when plugged in to shore power on both the "auto" and with propane setting selected. When plugged in to the Chevy, the refer works fine for a few hours on auto, and then the "ck" light begins flashing and igniter begins clicking. (Same result if propane setting selected).

I will set up a test to ck Monty battery voltage with the TV plugged in after a few hours and "ck" light begins flashing. (I can also ck DC voltage at the refer terminal block). I will also ck the Chevy charging fuse which is highly suspect following your description.

Thanks again Carl for your valuable input. Will let you know what I find.

Jim
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Carl,
Got problem solved thanks to your T0w Vehicle charging input. Replaced the charging battery fuse in the Chevy, no problems since. You provided very helpful insight to guide me through trouble shooting the charging circuit. Thanks again and to the other responders.

Jim
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am glad to have helped. Do you still get the "CK" error after four hours (or so) of running on pure battery/TV charge?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
No more "ck" light while on the Monty battery and TV. Measured voltage at about 12V at the refer after about 5-6 hours, so I think problem is solved.

Thanks again, Jim