Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sailun 16" 637's

I am quite curious about these G rated 16" tires. I have heard lots of good about the GY G614's and also what great warrantee support they provide when they blowout. I still have not heard or read of a Sailun blowout so I am interested in their product. I have heard a lot of "waiting to see how they perform in the long run etc" but no real posts of them blowing out. Has anybody personally had a blowout or problem with them? Has anybody actually heard of a problem with them? Not trying to start a tire war, just trying to get good facts. I have Trailer Kings on my new 3160 RL LE and I am a bit nervous running them even though I am way under their rated capacity. I also am not happy with a 65 MPH. Speed Rating on them. It seems both Goodyear and Sailun have better speed ratings on their G series tires than the ST tires.
I was not quick enough when I ordered my unit to make them switch out the ST's to the higher quality G series.

I have read most of the other Sailun threads and will reread them. I still have not read anywhere about problems even on other sites on the web. I am only interested in Sailun problems and or blowouts.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Marty

Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I personally think the two tires are comparable in all specs. The only reason I went with the Goodyear's was availability. If the Sailun's ever get where they are widely stocked, I would swap to them, as they are much cheaper, while just as heavy. Whichever tire you decide to get, do it soon, before you have regrets due to severe damage to your new rig from a tire failure.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Thanks Bob.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Was a thread on the Good Sam forum about a set where one came apart and the others deformed. The owner said they were over inflated by 10# by a service place and I believe he had them on his TV.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Was a thread on the Good Sam forum about a set where one came apart and the others deformed. The owner said they were over inflated by 10# by a service place and I believe he had them on his TV.

And it would be great to reference a link to that failure, yours is the first post that I have seen about a Sailun failure
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

I am quite curious about these G rated 16" tires. I have heard lots of good about the GY G614's and also what great warrantee support they provide when they blowout. I still have not heard or read of a Sailun blowout so I am interested in their product. I have heard a lot of "waiting to see how they perform in the long run etc" but no real posts of them blowing out. Has anybody personally had a blowout or problem with them? Has anybody actually heard of a problem with them? Not trying to start a tire war, just trying to get good facts. I have Trailer Kings on my new 3160 RL LE and I am a bit nervous running them even though I am way under their rated capacity. I also am not happy with a 65 MPH. Speed Rating on them. It seems both Goodyear and Sailun have better speed ratings on their G series tires than the ST tires.
I was not quick enough when I ordered my unit to make them switch out the ST's to the higher quality G series.

I have read most of the other Sailun threads and will reread them. I still have not read anywhere about problems even on other sites on the web. I am only interested in Sailun problems and or blowouts.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Marty

I have read ,and reread as many Sailun threads as I could find, and have found no negative reports or failures.

I am seeing reports back as far as 2012, and yet all seem positive . I would hope DQDick will come up with the actual thread that he claims he read about a Sailun failure.

I do have to say the Sailun S637 is for trailer use only , so its possible the failure mentioned by DQ was on a TV , quite possible a different Sailun tire then what we are discussing for our fifth wheels
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
The Sailuns have been around for more than a few years. A friend just replaced his Sailuns after six years with no incidence. He replaced them because of age, and he replaced them with new Sailuns. I also replaced my tires with Sailuns at about $200 per tire less that the GY's would have cost me. The only issue with the Sailuns in the past have been availability; however, my Goodyear tire dealer in small town Tennessee was able to get them in 24 hours. If the tires DQDick mentioned was on a TV then they are not the S637's. They are for trailers only.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vangoes

The Sailuns have been around for more than a few years. A friend just replaced his Sailuns after six years with no incidence. He replaced them because of age, and he replaced them with new Sailuns. I also replaced my tires with Sailuns at about $200 per tire less that the GY's would have cost me. The only issue with the Sailuns in the past have been availability; however, my Goodyear tire dealer in small town Tennessee was able to get them in 24 hours. If the tires DQDick mentioned was on a TV then they are not the S637's. They are for trailers only.
Talked to a Big O dealer here in Utah, and they carry the Sailun S637 . So some of the assumptions we keep hearing are not holding up.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

And it would be great to reference a link to that failure, yours is the first post that I have seen about a Sailun failure
Go halfway down the page: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=55910.0
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I take most that I read on RV Net with a Block of Salt. Lots of mis-information there.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The tire in the thread referenced by DQDick was on the TV and was on one of the dual wheels. We have no idea what tires these were, other than they were Sailun brand, however they could have been S637's.

If these tires had been more readily available in my area I would "not" have spent double the price on G614's. I do know how well the Goodyear G614 stands up and highly recommend them, however I do believe the S637 may be equally as good, it is a much cheaper, all steel, radial trailer tire. It is a "G" rated tire and the maximum speed rating is 75mph (if that is not fast enough to be pulling your 5er then I don't want to be on the same road with you all). Max inflation pressure "cold" is 110 psi. "cold" meaning the ambient air temp before the tire has been driven.

You can read what you want to read into some posts on this and other sites regarding tires however for the most part when we read of failures we normally are not given all the facts and "everyone" always has the pressures right and not overloaded....right....

Many of the lighter RV's out there have traveled thousands of miles on LT tires provided the units they are installed on do not exceed the rating of the tires, this has been referenced many times on this and other forums, for those with lighter units this is a great alternative to ST tires particularly if you have a heavy foot.

I am pretty sure if G614 or S637 were tires rated for only 65 mph and were put on trailers that stretched or exceeded their load capacity in the numbers the Marathons are used you would have significant numbers of reported failures, we should not forget that possibility.

Link to Sailun all position tire specs: http://www.sailuntires.ca/images2/637/637.pdf

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Ed I think you are correct in comparing a product that is used in an extremely large amount of rigs verse a product that is better but not sold in near the numbers of the lighter lower rated tires. That would or could cause us to really only hear about the lower rated tires that are out there on almost all new TT fifth-wheels and cargo trailers.

Tom marty
Old 09-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

The tire in the thread referenced by DQDick was on the TV and was on one of the dual wheels. We have no idea what tires these were, other than they were Sailun brand, however they could have been S637's.

If these tires had been more readily available in my area I would "not" have spent double the price on G614's. I do know how well the Goodyear G614 stands up and highly recommend them, however I do believe the S637 may be equally as good, it is a much cheaper, all steel, radial trailer tire. It is a "G" rated tire and the maximum speed rating is 75mph (if that is not fast enough to be pulling your 5er then I don't want to be on the same road with you all). Max inflation pressure "cold" is 110 psi. "cold" meaning the ambient air temp before the tire has been driven.

You can read what you want to read into some posts on this and other sites regarding tires however for the most part when we read of failures we normally are not given all the facts and "everyone" always has the pressures right and not overloaded....right....

Many of the lighter RV's out there have traveled thousands of miles on LT tires provided the units they are installed on do not exceed the rating of the tires, this has been referenced many times on this and other forums, for those with lighter units this is a great alternative to ST tires particularly if you have a heavy foot.

I am pretty sure if G614 or S637 were tires rated for only 65 mph and were put on trailers that stretched or exceeded their load capacity in the numbers the Marathons are used you would have significant numbers of reported failures, we should not forget that possibility.

Link to Sailun all position tire specs: http://www.sailuntires.ca/images2/637/637.pdf

If the tire in question was S637 , it was being used in the wrong application, the S637 is for trailer use only.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
PSFORD99, thanks for the link.

I will be looking into these S637 tires as I usually tow the speed limit or close to it, which is basically 55,60,65 or 70 where I live here in Eastern Washington. Higher in parts of Idaho and Montana, little bit lower in Oregon but that is supposed to be changing soon to 70 MPH in parts of Eastern Oregon. Towing with the Trailer King at 65/70 now makes me a little bit nervous. Having the speed rating at 75 MPH would just give me more peace of mind.

Tom Marty
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
NRA-Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #17410
Those Sailun tires are 1/2 the price because the Chinese Govt manipulates their currency, pollutes their air and water, abuses their workers, and cheats on the import export stage. We can't compete against that.

Lets reward that behavior by buying them because they are cheap.

Heck - if we do it enough, soon me might be able to kill one of the last manufacturers we have in the US and say goodbye to more US manufacturing jobs.

Besides - the Chinese need more $$'s to continue their military buildup. So lets keep buying!!

Did you hear they were parading their Navy a few weeks ago just outside of our territorial limits off California?

Remember - the money you send them today will help to defeat us tomorrow.

One Goodyear Tire at a Time.
NRA-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Most of that sounds like how American CEO's and the companies they control treat the American worker. Maybe you should look and see how the US workers pay is not even close to keeping up with inflation and the typical worker is now making way less than what we did five, ten or twenty years ago. Very few American companies treat their workers as an asset anymore, usually they are now treated as a liability. Be careful where you buy your food, gas, household products, vehicles and RV's as I doubt that you will find much that does not have some parts imported from a foreign country. Look at the vehicles being assembled in Mexico or other countries. I am sure that Goodyear does not buy anything for their products from outside the good old USA. Heck I would be shocked if they would actually import tires and sell them under their Name. I sure hope the Goodyear Marathon was never made in China. Oh by the way I drive an Accord made by Honda in the USA with parts and pieces made here and abroad. I love America but too much of it has become a politically correct, and overpopulated with people who do not even want to work, let alone actually pay taxes.

Ok back to tires. So in all of my snooping around on the net I can't really find much that talks about a Sailon blowout in my 16" tire size. I will give Goodyear credit for supposedly paying for damage to RV's from the 614's blowing out. Makes me wonder why they blowout as they look like a real good tire. Their cost of around 350.00 is extremely expensive but I guess everything is expensive seeing inflation just makes our money worth less and less.

Tom Marty
Old 09-11-2015, 02:09 AM   #17
NRA-Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #17410
Great argument. I stand corrected. Perfect justification for sending our dollars to China.
One Goodyear Tire at a Time.
NRA-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Those americans jobs weren't sucked out of the states, they were sent to various countries by american companies that wanted more profit for the board of directors. When I was working in the corporate world, the company that I worked for used mexico, taiwan, china for computer assembies, parts, and in case of taiwan...laptop computers. A fact of gobal economy is that no country has a lot of their products made in their own country....21st century. The US has always been great at being on the forefront of tecnolgy and education in the sciences. That is where we need to get back to! NOW, tires, all have a code on them that say where they are made and one can look the code up on the internet. Most of the tire molds were once u.s. made, but that was 1960's. If you can afford the sole u.s. made tire for heavier trailers, you should be using them. The people who can't afford them have to deal with the lower quality chinese tires. Some of us went beyond g rated and use u.s. made goodyear, michelins, and sumitomo from japan. No one should be slighted or insulted because of the tires they use on their rv or tow vehicles. We state our opinions about issues on the forum and try to help people of all income levels, etc. Sorry to the members for my tirade on this thread! John
Old 09-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I think I would take what NRA-girl has to say with a grain of salt.
She's 54 years old which doesn't match her picture, that's for sure.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #20
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
John I consider your post as good information, not a tirade. A lot has happened to the USA since the sixties. Unfortunately it is not like the sixties anymore, don't get me wrong I like almost all of the new conveniences that I get to enjoy. I am real happy with Radial tires verse Bias Ply etc. people need to get what works for them, that is why we have lots of choices to choose from.

Tom Marty