Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
JCBlack98802

M.O.C. #26976
Recliners

Has anyone figured out a way to anchor the recliners so that you don't have to bring the foot piece all the way down when you get up? What is happening is that the chair falls forward if you don't. I don't want to put a bolt through the pop-out floor because I don't want to ruin the rubber seal as it travels back and forth over it. I was thinking of using a 3" X 18" strip of Velcro stitched into the carpet. It should last since it won't be coming on and off which seems to be what ruins the Velcro strength.

JCBlack98802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If velcro would allow you to get out without putting the foot down you weight a whole lot less than I do. You also have to have far more working parts to want to do that over and over.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I am assuming you are talking about the dual power recliners. First, IMO its a bad idea to stop the foot piece mid way and try to get up and down using it - those things are not made that well.

As far as it tilting forward, it shouldn't in my experience. If you crawl under the one toward the dinette you should see (I believe) a couple of tabs that that recliner slides down into locking it to the other recliner. Then at each corner of that recliner (the other as well) there is a screw through a hole in the base into the floor securing it in place. The screws do not extend through the bottom of the floor but you would tear the chair up before you could rip it out of the floor.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We have a front living room and it has the Thomas Payne electric recliners. The manufacturer installed them to the styrofoam floor with 2 screws in each chair. Want to guess how long those lasted, holding the chairs in place? Right, until I used the recliners the first time. When the foot was extended, a little bit of weight there, and ... oops ... tips forward, screws pulled right out. Maybe they were put there, JUST for shipping.... not for actual using.

So, now I have 2 free standing electric recliners that tip forward unless the foot is completely in.

Solution? Well, front living room is over the basement. I ended up drilling 2 holes for each chair all the way through the floor and ran a bolt with a nut through to the basement. Nutted in the basement, nice and tight, and those chairs have never budged a speck since.

Over a slide out? Yikes. Maybe attach the entire chair to a sheet of plywood covered with a piece of carpet to come close to matching the décor of your camper. Make sure the plywood extends in front of the chair, to prevent it from tipping forward. Depending upon how much room you have in the slide out, make that front extension of the plywood as long as possible. The chair is now anchored to the plywood, but the plywood is not anchored through the floor.

That's what I'd try to do if it were mine.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
I am 6' tall and cannot stretch out completly in the recliner without moving it forward, but when we pull in the slides we have to move the recliners back or they will interfear with the slide. So bolting it down is not an option.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
JCBlack98802

M.O.C. #26976
Thank you

Thank you everyone. This Forum is very helpful! I will look a little better at the installation and see if there are some things that just have not been installed. They were both loose when we purchased it, not tied to each other or to the floor. Sounds like it's time for a deeper dive.

Thanks again.
John and Julie
2019 Montana 20th anniversary edition.
JCBlack98802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Yup I have nicknamed them rodeo chairs. My wife leans forward to see and operate the buttons. They have dumped her on teh floor several time. Had Lippert look at them at the last Rally. They said to bolt them down. We replaced them with swivel rocking recliners.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote