Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 AM   #21
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
Here are the prices and part numbers for Filter1.

Transmission--57702, $11.81
Oil-----------57314, $15.18
Air-----------42731, $45.78
Fuel----------33599, $46.66

Order more than six filters and shipping is free.

Aaron

abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:47 AM   #22
mlc

M.O.C. #2576
just my 2 cents worth, i have used the motorcraft fl2016 and the wix in our engine . with no problem, the reason behind this is , if you look closely at the filters you will see that they are made in germandy with the same part number. fram is also made there and is a branch of honeywell. so check it out..
mlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great info, everyone. Thanks. I would have to go out and get the manual to verify this but, if I recall, the manual says that no aftermarket filter filters particles as fine as do the Motorcraft filter. Maybe that was true at the time the manual was written but is that true now?

When we bought the 2003 6.0 only Motorcraft oil was recommended for the 6.0. They said no others at that time met the specs. That may have allowed them to "require" Motorcraft oil without having to actually provide it since they just said the oil has to meet these specs and by the way no others meet it? Now they show several oils that meet the specs including Rotella T, which is what I'm using.

Anyhow, I'm all for saving money but first want to be sure it won't cost me in the long run (shorter engine life and/or loss of warranty). At the rate we put miles on this thing that 100k mile point will come up plenty quick. We're averaging over 3,000 per month.

Thanks for all the info. I currently have four Motorcraft oil filters in the toolbox, bought at various Walmarts when I find one that carries the filter. I also have another fuel filter kit or two that I bought at International for half what Ford gets but more than what you folks are showing is available. So I'm ok on oil filters for another 20k miles or so and on fuel filters for another 30k miles or so (recently changed them).

Do you all change the fuel filters yourself? I did that once but last time had it done. Have you had any problems with changing it yourself? I got the right sized socket to remove the cap on the frame filter unit so I have all the tools this time. Just wondered if you had any problems with changing the filter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #24
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
I do all my own maintanence that I can which includes all oil changes and filters. Had to buy the socket to fit the oil filter cap/fuel filter cap but that was it. Much, much cheaper to take care of business on my own. And I know it it done right with any spills or drips wiped up. Replace your oil drain plug with a Fumoto valve the next time you change your oil and you can then do the job without even getting your hands dirty.

Aaron
Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Aaron, I agree with you. Problem for us is we're fulltiming and RV Parks prohibit oil changes on their property. First time I changed the fuel filters I did it myself, draining the fuel into a bucket lined with two trashbags. The problem is where to dispose of the fuel and old filters (two) in the bags. It's illegal to put it in the trash and I'm not going to dump it on the ground. So, I end up paying to have it changed, oil and fuel filters both.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #26
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
If your on the road, pull into the friendly Wal-Mart, where ever that may be. Go inside and get 14-15 quarts of your favorite brand of oil, (Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic for me) a filter and a large drain pan with a pour spout or a five gallon bucket. The bucket will fit under your oil pan if it's a 4x4...
After doing this, go to a lonely spot in the lot, and change out the oil and filter. You won't spill a drop to upset anyone with the Fumoto valve in place. Take the old oil around the side of the building to their recycle area and drop it off there.

Voila...oil change that you know is done right for much cheaper than a dealership will charge you.

Aaron