Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Defrosting Freezer

How do you decide when to defrost the freezer? The back wall of the freezer is getting coated with frost and there are some slits/vents? on this wall. The condensing fins in the fridge are free of frost. If these vents on the back freezer wall get frosted over will it matter? Can't find anything in the owners manual about this back wall frosting up over the vents. Thanks for any help.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We are having the same issue after about two months of full time use. I'll be interested to see the answers from those who've dealt with this. As in your case, we're seeing a "frosting over" of the vented area in the back of the freezer, but only light icing on the aluminum fins in the frige. So far, we've noticed no change in the freezer or frige temps. For those of you who have already dealt with this, are you on any kind of preventative maintenance regimen?
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
When we are out for a long time and the freezer frosts over as you are saying. I take all the frozen food out and put in cooler.
I then take the wifes hair dryer and turn it on medium heat and let it blow in the freezer to melt the ice.
This only takes about fifteen minutes and then take a towel to mop up the water before turning it back on and replacong the food.
If the fins have ice I let the blower blow on the ice in the refrigerator to melt this and the water drips into the tray and out the hose in the back.
Hope this is a help.
I am sure others will have other solutions also.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I just defrost when it looks like it needs it. I also defrost with the hair dryer ... quick and easy ... but I don't bother with the cooler. It goes so fast that the food doesn't have time to defrost. I have learned, however, that using this method on the fin things in the refrigerator is not a good thing to do when the weather outside is below freezing!
---------
Okay ... Steve just read this and apparently I need to explain it ... If it's below freezing outside, the water from the melting ice on the fin things will freeze in the line, back up into the tray (under the fin things), spill over and make a big mess in the bottom of the refrigerator. This was one of those "former-Southern-California-girl-moments" when I forgot about freezing temperatures and stuff.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, everyone. I just noticed today that we have fairly heavy icing in the back of our 'frig so I will use this handy dandy tip very soon. Isn't this forum priceless?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
it really depends...we have a temp gauge..and when it gets above 5 ...I defrost
Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Gamer, is that '5' in Canadian terms? Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
there is also a humidity switch you can use that will help depending upon the conditions, but be aware that with this switch on it will drain your battery down if your dry camping.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote