Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
One cell phone or two?

Glen is less than two weeks from retirement. Yeah!! He is of the opinion that we will no longer need to have two cellphones, one for each of us. His idea is that we will be together so much of the time that only one will be needed. He fails to turn his phone on most of the time so why does he need one?? What has been your experience with your cell phones after retirement, with both of you at home either in the Monty or the stick house?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glen and Judy

For financial reasons, we cut back to one cell phone. Sometimes it is a hassle, like when we are in seperate places and need to communicate. In our particular case, in reality, it is rare that we need 2 phones.

Enjoy that retirement!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
We've always had two cell phones with us wherever we go. We both feel very comfortable in knowing that we can always contact one another should the occasion arise that we are separated. I go out many times from the park and leave my wife in the RV by herself. She can always be in touch if she needs me. It also comes in handy when we're shopping in the big Wal-Marts or Sam's Club. Of course, both of us had to learn right off that we must keep them charged on ON!
alden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
One cell phone is all we have. Have not had a need for 2, as we are together most of the time.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Hi,

We have been retired now for (wife: 2 years, me: 1 year) and we really like the ability to call each other when we are seperated. Therefore, we have kept our two cell phones. The with the current plans the extra cost was minimial.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
One cellphone and one land based while in Arizona home.
One cellphone only during 6 months (summer)living in 5th wheel.

Use two way radios when going to large shopping areas or when one of us is away from the rig and within the 3-4 mile range. This gives me peace of mind when Dixie is on a walk around the campground or lake. We also communicate with other fishermen while out on the boat as we all stay on the same channel.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have two cells and will keep them for the reason already stated and this one..We have seperate carriers. There have been many times when I can get a signal and she can't or the other way around. I can not recall a time when we were both in a dead zone. We also have those family radio's they are very usefull.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Tough call, but we will probably continue to use two. The issue is not the cost, but the safety factor. Occational separation seems to always find us needing to communicate.

I am at the parts store and I forgot what she told me to pick up at the Walmart or they don't have the prescribed brand in stock. Small irritations, yes, but the extra $10 per month to have her on my plan could be used up in fuel cost related to just a couple of extra trips.

And then there is the safety factor. While each of us in excellent health, that can change in a heartbeat. How does a couple decide who hangs on to the phone? Inveribly, the one who needs it hasn't got it. I want my phone and I want my wife to have that "911" capability.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We use two cell phones. It is always best to both have a phone in case of emergency. The cost of the second phone is minimal to the peace of mind that we can call someone when ever it may be necessary.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with the 2 for the same reasons that everyone else said. It is only 9.99 for the 2nd phone and it is a small price to pay should one have an emergency and not be the one with the phone.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you to everyone for their responses. This is a tough call for us because we want to go with two different carriers. I just signed up with Verizon thinking it is the best for our internet connection by cell phone. Our daughter who will be our housewatcher/mail monitor and general contact person while we're on the road has Cingular so it would be nice to have the free mobile to mobile with her and not use up her minutes. We need to keep our land line phone for our security system. And for some reason hubby doesn't want to donate all his social security check to phone companies! But I love the security of having both phones. And two carriers would give us that extra coverage...... Oh, me, such problems! : 0 )
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:08 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
we have 2 the cost of the second is $4.95 more a month so that is the reason we have 2 ..it is nice to be able to always be in contact with the other.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have cingular Nationwide service, 1000 anytime mins with rollover.You can roll over unused mins for 1 year. I have like 3000 mins on rollover now..great for that internet connection.. I think the only place I did not get service was in Old Tuson, Arz..which is in the middle of nowhere. Wife has verizon..also great service nation wide She lost service somewhere in Oklahoma but between the two of use we have Cell service 99.99 % of the time. Two cell phones do cost some extra money..however...at what price do you put safety.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:01 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, got my curiosity going, we have Verizon and will stick with it, so, does anyone have Verizon and have the second phone for $9.99. IF so, what does that second phone cover, do you have America Choice or just local calls?

I know, you can go to the site and try to figure it out, but for cripes sakes, they read like a foreign language that I did not learn in high school?? Even going into a store they will tell you one thing, next day, different salesman/woman, different story.

Can someone tell me in simple language??
Old 03-20-2005, 02:32 AM   #15
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have chosen to keep two cell phones on the Cingular family plan and a 3rd cell on the same plan for my elderly parents. We have the rollover minutes plan Rich & Helen mentioned. My phone is the primary one and the one we use as a contact number. We have found coverage everywhere we have been. The small cost of the additional phone is minor compared to the peace of mind. Agree it probably saves us more than the cost in fuel when one of us is out running errands and the other thinks of something they need back at home (wherever that may be in our Montana). With my sister also on cingular gives us a non cost way to be in constant check of parents with no charge against our minutes. With the 3 phones on our plan we have never used all the minutes allowed per month and have accumulated rollover minutes. We pay no roaming and no long distance. Cost is just $59 per month. We use the cells for all long distance and have discontinued long distance service on the land phone at our vacation home. We find this method much more economical for us. We also feel the cell phones are an asset for safety and health reason. No way would we ever give up that second phone.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:40 AM   #16
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
Morning Carol, the second phone has everything as the first phone.

And I would duplicate what Joyce posted.
Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:48 AM   #17
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Al & Carol
We have Verizon and two phones. If I can understand this last statement it is The America's Choice Family Plan. We have 400 shared peak minutes on the base plan for $39.99. Off peak minutes is 1000. The charge for the second phone is $20 with unlimited talk time between the two phones. End result for the monthly bill is about $70/month unless we go over like we did a couple months back at 45 cents/minute we got hit with an additional $50. We dial 611 a little more often to keep track of used minutes now. There may be better deals from Verizon but this is the one that suited our needs, you would have to talk to them to find out.

Also I might add that talk time between other Verizon customers is also no charge.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:55 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, do you have Verizon??

Right now we have Americas choice, we have 250 minutes a month, NO rollover, once in a while we get hit with roaming if we are not paying attention, ha ha, last time was at home! We have unlimited minutes after 9 and the weekends free. I use it to connect to the internet, but only after 9 at night.

I pay $34.99 something a month, plus taxes for one, Al says it is $39.99 with taxes.

So, I can get another phone with the SAME plan at Verizon for an extra $10.00?? Used to be another full fee, our phone bill was almost $80.00 a month, and we were just not using that second phone a lot. CANNOT use at the stick built, can use in some of the rest of the county where we live, coverage is spotty and in the county seat we have had the dreaded "R" show up (that what what got us the last time, did not pay attention and called anyway).

Anyway, does Verizon offer a second phone with Americas Choice for the $10.00??

Carol
Old 03-20-2005, 02:57 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Charlie, I think you just answered my questions!

THANKS!!!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 AM   #20
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carol-
Like I said, you might check with Verizon and see if they have any new plans, we have been on this one for over a year and signed a two year contract with them at the time.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote