Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Where does the Everest fit in the lineup?

I was just wondering where the Keystone Everest fits into the overall picture. Is it so different from the Montana? Based on the price, it isn't as luxurious as the Cambridge but seems very close in price to a Montana. But I haven't heard much about them. Does anybody have the scoop? J.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have never seen inside of one, but seen a few of them on the road. Think I will look at one the next time we go to a show.....just for comparison sakes. We really like our Montana and have no thought of changing. I will say this was a great question.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We were told that the Everest is one step above the Montana. We were in one at a park here in Michigan. It has some features over the Montana and appears to be a little more upscale than our 3400rl. It was reported to be a little more expense also.
We still feel that ours is a good buy and value for the money.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
scmdba
Established Member

M.O.C. #880
I'm not sure exactly where it fits in Keystone's big picture but I have been in several of them. A local dealer carries them and since I like to wander through RVs.... Anyway, the prices were consistently higher for the Everest over a similarly configured Montana. My love affair with Montana started there with a used 3255 that I immediately liked. Too bad it had a damaged large slide and they wanted way too much for it. Maybe that's why their Everest prices are so high! Our Montana dealer is a lot further away but I will gladly drive the distance. I thought the interiors were less homey, more modern but that's just my taste. I'm sure they are nice units. I just like Montana better.
scmdba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I know the Everest dealers try to tell prospects it is a step above the Montana but according to the Keystone execs we asked that's not the case. They have the same budget. Everest spends a larger portion on the nice interiors, eye candy although that's too derogatory a term. Montana spends more on build quality, things like attic vents to vent moisture, etc. Neither is a step above the other. At least this is what we were told.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum, scmdba. Glad you found us. Oh, and you, too, Steve. I see you're new!

Interesting input, everyone. I think it seems strange to have two brands so similar in features considering production costs, etc. I'll take my well-built Montana over eye candy anyday, especially for a lower price.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #7
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

I was just wondering where the Keystone Everest fits into the overall picture.
Steve has probably got it right, but we sure love ours. Most of the discussions here apply to the Everest (loud water pumps, silly remote thermostats, rear shades, etc).

You can check out mine here (PDI photos)

http://community.webshots.com/album/265191646kBtvhb
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We looked at an Everest, but it didn't have a few of the things we wanted, like the closet by the door. If I remember correctly it also had a window at the head off the bed which we found a bit strange. The price was higher and I think it weighed more too. The dealer told us it was better than the Montana, but he really wanted to sell it!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The everest thing is sort of a mystery..I E mailed keystone to ask them what the diff is..Actually the "best lowest price" of both units are the same , at least around here..Does not seem to make sense.My guess is that since they are so similar one of them will, be dropped in the future and since Montana is the #1 in sales take a guess on wich one...IE..Montana/Montana Big Sky....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:04 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I guess a person could make the same statement about the difference between the Mountaineer and the Montana 5er's. Eye Candy as Steve said. We have been many times in both as our Dealer sells both. Same Furniture,Appliances,AC units,Water Heaters,Furnace,have seen the new ones comming with Porcelain Toilets,etc. Outside, same running gear, Alum structure, Fiberglass, etc. Its seems the whole line up is very close, mostly just different with flooring and countertops. Maybe we missed something. Makes me wonder. I read a report a couple of years ago, that the Auto Company most likely to fail was GM. For one reason among others was because thay had too many product lines. As we all know GM has been in the process of changing this. No more Oldsmobile, Firebird or Camero etc. We could see Keystone having to do the same. Maybe this might be happening now as all these units seem to be getting so close to each other. Only time will tell.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:24 AM   #11
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
If you look at the construction features they are identical except the attic vents,we like the basement area better, no plumbing pipes ,water lines or heat vents are seen.Frames are the same as are the slide systems,appliances,etc.Have seen quite a few at rv shows and was told this unit is not s step up but pretty much identical to the montanas just not pushed as hard.It is built in a different plant and is a spin-off from damon which keystone purchased their towable line a few years ago.Just kinds like fleetwood,we know their terry,wilderness and prowler ines are the same just different colors and options.A nice looking unit,just more to offer for the consumer,doeslook like there floor plans are not as agressive as montana so there is less to choose from but quality lookss about the same.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tall Paul, no offense intended. The Everest's I've seen are very nice units. I think which is preferable also depends on how they're to be used. For those who use them on weekends and an occasional vacation, maybe attic vents and other little things like that are not as important as they are for those of us who use our rigs for longer periods of time. Just an opinion. I do like the looks of the Everest and am sure it's a good rig. (Not as good as my Montana, of course! Just kidding.)
Old 03-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We just got back to the motel from the show at ford field. Saw a couple of everest there. We were sitting in one it was a 344j. I told Thelma that it sure looked like Montana layout. The saleslady said it wasn't like a Montana. She said it was better than a Montana. Couldn't compare it to the Montana. I then took her to the doorway and showed her where her trim on the doorway to the bedroom was falling off. She said yes they knew that. I said well if it is coming apart now what will it be like in a year...
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #14
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
We really looked hard at the Everest. The one item that turned us off was the furniture. My wife is 5'5 had her feet would reach the floor when sitting on the sofa or rocker/reclining chairs.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
maybe everything else is a stepchild of the Montana.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #16
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
We just returned this evening from the Sports and RV show in Anderson CA where we were surprised and fortunate to meet the Keystone District Sales Manager from Goshen IN. We spent about an hour and a half with him. We asked about the difference between the Montana and Everest line (numerous models of both were on display) and were told that Keystone had bought out the Everest manufacturer and at this point in time are just continuing with the previous manufacturers design and constrution methods as I understood it.

We compared a Montana 2955RL to an equivalent sized Everest. Claudia liked the 'Eye Candy' a little better in the Everest, I prefered the construction and larger basement capacity of Montana. Show prices were within $1000 of each other as I recall.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:28 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don & Claudia, do you recall the Keystone person's name? Just curious if we've met the same person. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:53 AM   #18
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Steve,

We met Charles Wade. He answered all of our questions and overall it was a pleasant experience. I'll try to post some of what we learned and how I understood it regarding particular items under the appropriate subject matter. I just hope I don't screw up and speak out of turn.

By the way, Happy Birthday.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Don. I need to start watching the birthday list so I can wish people happy birthday. I get in a hurry and forget to look.

I look forward to your comments. We've not met Charles Wade.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #20
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Tall Paul, no offense intended.
Steve, no offense was taken! I think your observations are correct. We are only using it part time, so that does work into the equation. I think both units are great and have a lot of similarities - including GREAT owners!
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote