Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Montana_2435

M.O.C. #2435
Dometic refrigerator light switch

I am having trouble with the frig light switch on my Dometic NDR 1062 model refrigerator in my 2004 3575RL. Ice seems to form in the switch housing and the light just won't work anymore. Last summer I took it to the Montana dealer, as it was under warrenty, and he told me that where the wires for the light came from above there was a entrance hole that wasn't sealed at the factory. They sealed it and the light then worked, but only for about a couple of months. It is now not working. I called Dometic and they told me to turn the Low Ambient Temp control switch on to see if the light worked. It does come on when I turn the switch on, but it is supposed to only be on when the outside temp is 50 degrees or below for some time, so I can't leave it on for long, as we are down in Texas for the winter and it is too warm to leave it on. I guess the light stays on even when the door is closed when this switch is on. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have defrosted the frig, but to no avail. I am not sure how the switch housing comes off. It looks like it is held up with 4 small studs on the corners of the housing, but there are no screws to loosen. It looks like it may just pop off the studs or something. I thought if I could get it off I could get the ice out of there. I think there is a 2 year warrenty for parts and labor on the frig by Dometic so I hate to mess with it much. I may just have to wait till summer and take it back to the dealer back home. I don't know if there a dealer down in this area would make a house call. I would appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks...

Mel
2004 Montana 3575RL, 200 Ford F250 6.8L V10.

Montana_2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I would suggest that you "keep calling Dometic" until you get the right answer.
We wish the best for you!
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If yours is built like ours, it is a spring loaded arm lever on the side opposite the hinge. Frequently ours doesn't come on when I first open the door. I flick the lever by pushing it all the way in and letting it snap back and usually it then lights up. I may try to clean the lever with a pipe cleaner and lubricate with Lubrisol.

Your problem sounds to be entirely different. Both are connectivity problems.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We had/have a problem with ours. We have the extra large Dometic Fridge and just before the Rally last year we changed the bulb as it had burnt out, for some reason I wanted to check the bulb, opened the fridge and grabbed the bulb and OUCH! Just a warning for everyone, it takes just a few seconds for that bulb to get incredibly hot. It blistered my thumb pretty bad.

Apparently the first bulb had burned out because it was on the always, even when the fridge was shut. Dick pulled the switch out and kept looking at it, he couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally he actually tore into the switch. Another word of caution here, don't do it unless you know way more than we do. It ruined the switch for good.

If you take plastic cover off and remove the bulb, very cautiously since it's so blasted hot, you can reach your fingers in there and squeeze a couple of clips and push/pull on the switch it will come out.

I called Dometic and they told me they could send a new switch to my dealer but that it would take well over a week. I mentioned that Dometic would be at the Rally and I could ask them to supply me with a switch. I thought that was a great idea.

At the Rally I called the rep that was coming to do the seminar and he said he would check to see if they had our switch in stock and bring it the next day at the seminar. Well after the seminar I met with him, they didn't have the switch. He explained that it probably wasn't broken to begin with but rather the switch on top hidden by the freezer door was probably in the position for a high humidity enviroment. I'm guessing the heat generated from the light bulb helps the perspiration that accumulates by the seals evaporate?

We still don't have the switch replaced yet. Winter set in and the Montana sits in the back yard lonely and sad. I'm supposed to take it down to Goshen for some repairs and I'm hoping then I can fix it.

Sorry it turned out to be such a long post for a simple question. At any rate if you'd like me to go out there and take pictures of it in place and out I can do that for you and post them here. It may take until Wednesday for me to do it as I have a double shift tomorrow at work.

Mel it's interesting that we both have been given a different explanation as to what the two switches do on top. I know our units are a bit different and our unit newer than ours, but it should be similar regardless. I know the switch was the same as the one in the Models at the Rally.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote