Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Warranty

Did a little searching but didn't find much.....

Just wondering what most did when they bought their new Montana.

We went with the Interstate STAR RV Platinum Plus warranty for 7 years after considering the investment. What did you do?

For those who have the STAR RV, anything to watch out for when dealing with the company?

Thanks

Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I don't believe in extended warrenties. I have always thought that they were a scam. many of the items in or on your camper have warrenties that go up to 12 years anyway. any good company will back there product if there is any major problem even out of warrenty. these units are far different than a motorhome. there is no engine or transmission to worry about. all of your appliances have seperate warrenties not covered by the dealership anyway. all they do is get the approval to be reimbursed for things.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I make appointments with the dealer, fax over work lists etc. When I arrive for service I'm greeted with "who are you.. do you have an appointment" and my favorite "how long can you leave it with us". (I live 4 hours away in the Montana).

I never want to see that suckers face again. Having bought an extened warrenty would only have prolonged the pain.

When the suspension failed I spotted the damage in the driveway. The trailer was NOT towable safely (just made it home). About 50 miles from any sort of shop that could make the repair. Once again, I would not have been able to collect on the extended warrenty.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:26 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gruffy, Kind of sounds like my dealer in NY. The way they handled me after the rig was delivered proved to me that I never wanted to deal with them ever again. I was sure glad I turned down their 5 year extended warranty.

I also do not believe in extended warranties. Seen too many people, including myself, get burned when it came time to using it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:22 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Smoketrain, we have never been ones who got too involved with extended warranties. I was suckered once and that was all it took. I would think that if your dearler is reliable, he will support all your needs. If not, just keep in mind there are more honest people out there.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:48 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I agree with the posts above regarding caution with the "extended" warranties. With the Montana we felt we'd get service that would take care of most of our problems thru our dealer or with Keystone directly; Or that we could take care of ourselves. We've been satisfied so far with our decision to NOT get the extended warranty for Monty.

But it is a very personal decision and one that only you can ultimately decide based on your needs, service available, and your level of "handiness". Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Here's the other side of the coin. If perchance you are a second owner, most of the manufacturers warranties are revoked. The only chance at warranty work is through some kind of service policy. In my case, the previous owner had purchased such a service policy covering seven years. For a $70 fee, it was transfered to me. It gave some level of security and made a supportive selling point. when buying pre-owned. If you are the first owner, this point os moot.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SMOKETRAIN

Did a little searching but didn't find much.....

Just wondering what most did when they bought their new Montana.

We went with the Interstate STAR RV Platinum Plus warranty for 7 years after considering the investment. What did you do?

For those who have the STAR RV, anything to watch out for when dealing with the company?

Thanks
I balanced the cost of the warranty and the warranties provided and couldn't justify the cost. I did try to get the dealer to throw in a 5 or 7 year warranty at no additional charge but he just wouldn't bite.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #9
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
I appreciate the posts. I have been considering the purchase of a extended warranty but these posts have changed my mind.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I would rather invest in a good set of tools for doing the work, but I bought without any warranty. Working on it is part of the fun. But thats just me. If you don't like to work on them then an extended warranty is a good thing to have.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #11
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Just another voice that doesn't buy into extended warranties. Seems much like insurance claims, magically there seems to be fine print that excludes so many situations from being covered. The extended warranty business is a VERY profitable business for those that sell and provide the coverage. Yes, invest in a good set of tools and of course all the advice you will ever need to help you with repairing your Kestone product can be found right here on the forum.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #12
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Smoketrain:
Unlike the others that have replied to this subject, we found the price for the same warranty from the same company as you mentioned not to be excessive when you consider the cost our new fiver, the attractiveness to a buyer for it if we decided to sell it down the road and the seven year period. We look it as just another insurance plan. You hate to cough up the dough for it and hope you never have to use it, but its nice to have it when things start going to hell. Hopefully that never happens. As our 3400rl is a 05 model, what has needed work on the dealer took care of it as it is still under warranty. Incidentally, it was the dealer who sold us the extended warranty plan, so when it comes time when we need it, we are certain to remind him that it was his idea for us to get it. Time will only tell what kind of hassle we end up with though.
Hope this helps.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Thanks for all the responses. It's always a concern whether you are doing the right thing by getting a warranty or not. Unfortunately, hind sight will only tell if it has been worth it or not. One thing I did this time that I usually don't do is wait until the manufacturer's warranty runs out before jumping onto the extended warranty. We came off an extended warranty on our previous camper so it made sense to transfer it over to the new. To be honest, it was that comfort factor considering the amount of money in the purchase, number of systems on-board, my knowledge level (getting better), mechanical ability (I work on people, not machines although I have aspirations ) and time. Also, we partly considered it an important selling point if we were every to sell it privately.
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote