Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
Montana_1362
Established Member

M.O.C. #1362
winter storage

so what do I store my montana in? or cover it with?

Montana_1362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by survivor2

I store it in the yard and cover it with nothing.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we had a stick home we stored the Montana next to the garage and didn't cover it. We had some pretty cold, icy, snowy winters in Kansas and it was fine. Some have access to inside storage, which would be great.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
I cover mine with a cover bought at campers world. The type that breaths. I like to cover mine because its under pine trees. I tried not covering it and the roof turns black and thus a lot of black streaks. I also cover the wheels.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Survivor2:
This our first winter with our 5er. Our dealer purchased a large metal building near his dealership this fall and decided to rent space for winter storage for $2 a foot. We decidee to try this out for this winter at least. Others on this website leave theirs outside. Some cover it, but most choose not to cover for the reason that if the wind causes the cover to slap the sides, it can cause the gloss finish of the fiberglass to dull or even wear off. Something to consider. Good luck with your decision.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:30 AM   #6
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Survivor 2: we are new Montana owners, too. We store ours at a secure storage facility, outside and not covered. We started out in a pop-up and covered it the first year. We had lots of mold and mildew on the inside. Yuck! And a mess to clean. Now that may be because we had a really wet winter that year. Anyway, never covered the pop-up again or the travel trailer we had, and never had any problems. We go "visit" our rig every other week - we're in withdrawal - to make sure everything is okay. Our neighbors keep their motorhome at the same place and we look out for each other's rigs. We put in 2 Damp Rid containers to help keep moisture out, put Bounce sheets in all the cabinets and left the doors open. We covered the tires and put a lock in the kingpin. If you are lucky enough to have covered storage available - better yet! Good luck and welcome to the MOC! Happy Holidays to all.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
Montana_2635

M.O.C. #2635
I believe the rubber roof manufactures recommend that you don't cover their roofs. You may screw up your warranty if you do.
Montana_2635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by survivor2

My initial reply was short with no supporting reasons. I had planned to get a cover for our unit and scanned a number of forums and found the overwhelming concensous to be that covers can cause more trouble than they save. A number of people complained that the cover caused wear marks, tapped mold and mildew. I don't use wheel covers but do park on boards to get the tires off the dirt. Also brush the gutters out to remove any pine needles on a regular basis. The RV dealer where we bought ours has hundreds parked in the lot through the winter exposed to the elements and they don't seem any worse for wear..
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:23 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I keep my coach in a indoor storage shop for the winter. In my opinion I felt that paying the $2 per foot was well worth the money. I had priced both indoor and outdoor storage and they seem to be about 50 cents to a dollar more for indoor than out, and after paying the kind of money we pay for our rv's it only seemed to make sense to me. I do have friends who store their coach outside during the winters and they all agree, do not use the rv covers as they do more damage than the snow and cold temps ever could. I would really look into storing your coach inside if at all possible.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 PM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I totally agree with 315rls.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote