Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
Slide buttons not working

My 15-year-old son pushed all three slide buttons at once. The slides pushed out about halfway and then stopped. Now the buttons do not work.I was able to deploy the slides with the remote control. I de-energize the coach and disconnected the battery. Once the power was restored the buttons did not work. Could he have burned up the buttons? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 07-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Possibility there is a blown fuse or popped circuit breaker. Have you checked them yet? If not check them and see if there are any blown or popped. Sometimes the fuses will not show it until you actually pull them and visually inspect them. Breakers can also not pop all the way over and may need resetting. If these are all good, I'd give Keystone Customer Service a call and see what they have to say about it and they will start a file on your unit if it needs to go back to the dealer to be repaired.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
There are two circuit breakers behind the battery mounted on the wall. Check the one on the right to see if it is open. It's a 40 amp thermal breaker, but it may not have reset when it cooled. I don't think your switches were burned up because each switch would still only see the load it normally operates. But, operating all three slides at one time will pop the breaker; normally it will reset itself, though. You were able to run the slides out by the remote because it has a separate source from the battery.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
Where are the 40 amp breakers?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Look in your front right side compartment, under your front overhang. The battery is behind this door. Look right behind the battery on the wall. It's all black in there so take a flashlight. The 40A breaker should be the one on the right (there are 2 breakers), but check both of them in case they mounted them differently in your unit.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 AM   #6
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
So crazy I do not have a 40 amp breaker in the front compartment. I just have a battery connection terminal.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Okay...on the wall up there is the black square bit of electronics that controls all the stuff that the remote can control. All the wires (or most) have 15 amp fuses in line. Check those first!! Vey doubtful that the small thermal auto reset breakers are bad. They are the two tiny blobs that have red rubber covers over the terminals. If you follow the positive battery lead it will go to one of these. Ususally the other one will feed the positive wire to the hydraulic pump works. And, the twelve volt fuses inside the rv only show the red light to indicate a blown fuse IF the switch for the bad circuit is still on. Hope this helps you. John
Old 07-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The little blown fuse LED indicator will only illuminate if there is a completed circuit thru a load. Actuate your slide extend switch while watching your 12 v fuse panel. If an LED illuminates when you actuate a slide switch then you have found the problem. Replace the fuse.

I am not familiar with the High Country but the previous comments point toward hydraulic slides. I would not think there would be separate circuit breakers, one for the switches and one for the remote. So I would not think a circuit breaker would be the problem.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I think the HC has electric slides one of the ways they can reduce the weight. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Ok never mind I will just ask DW.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
Still can't find the battery breaker. It's driving me crazy.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Husker92

My 15-year-old son pushed all three slide buttons at once. The slides pushed out about halfway and then stopped. Now the buttons do not work.I was able to deploy the slides with the remote control. I de-energize the coach and disconnected the battery. Once the power was restored the buttons did not work. Could he have burned up the buttons? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Hi

If you can operate the slides with your remote then the 40 amp automatic circuit breaker is working.

I would look at finding a smaller breaker or fuse in your power center inside the trailer first.

If they are all good then look at the black box mounted on the wall behind the battery and see if there are any inline fuses that are bad.

The inline fuse holder will look like one of these.

https://www.google.com/#q=inline+automotive+fuse+holder

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:57 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve-- Try calling the "Hot Team" or whatever it is called at Keystone Customer Service and they should be able to help you with the problem. If you have the electric level-up system you can also call the manufacturer which I think is Lippert or LCI but I may be wrong. You should have received a book with your unit that will tell you the manufacturer of the level-up system you have. If it is Lippert or LCI they have a great team of Customer Service Reps that will walk you through the procedure of finding out the answer to your problem. Let us know what you come up with as to what the problem is or was.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Since you have electric slides and level up, you probably don't have the breaker on the front compartment wall. That breaker goes to the hydraulic pump. Is there a reset procedure for the slides? Given that you can still operate with the remote, the system obviously has power. (Incidentally, the 40 amp for those with hydraulic slides, may cut out during cold weather as the hydraulic fluid thickens. We went with a bigger breaker after last year's RMRR.) good luck getting it working. You could also call your dealer to see if there is a reset procedure or look on Lippert's website.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #14
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
The HC 305RL is the same model as mine. It has electric slides, not hydraulic. BAL made the slides, not Lippert. Power to the slide motors go through 3 separate fuses (one for each slide), but they also go through a resetable circuit breaker (the 40amp). He has lost power to ALL his slides, not just one. That is the only circuit breaker that will affect all three. Although these are automatic reset circuit breakers, they do fail sometimes. That's why I suggested he look there first.

To the OP - your 305RL is the same model year as mine, so I doubt they moved the breakers, but they may have (you never can tell). Follow the large black wire from the battery; it will connect to one of the breakers, then has a jumper over to the other. Again, they used to be mounted on the wall behind the battery as you are facing into the space. They look like terminal strips, and are used as such also.

Please confirm for us - you have lost power on all three slides, correct? But you can control them by the remote, correct?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

...Power to the slide motors go through 3 separate fuses (one for each slide), but they also go through a resetable circuit breaker (the 40amp).

Follow the large black wire from the battery; it will connect to one of the breakers, then has a jumper over to the other....
Finally someone with the same rig.

Boy I am confused and I hope you clear this up for me. If the auto-reset breaker is NFG, how is power getting to the slide motors? I have assume that CB is last in the chain if nothing else is affected. Have the "old world craftsman" run a separate 12V supply, from the remote control "brain", to each motor?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote: If the auto-reset breaker is NFG, how is power getting to the slide motors? I have assume that CB is last in the chain if nothing else is affected. Have the "old world craftsman" run a separate 12V supply, from the remote control "brain", to each motor?
Yes, apparently so.

When I saw this post, I wondered the same thing - "How is the remote working if the slide buttons don't". I went out to the rig, originally just to get the location and size of the circuit breaker, to inform the OP. While I was out there I noted how the +12 was wired on my rig, and made some measurements to resolve that question. The OWCs apparently do indeed have a separate +12 feed to the remote circuit board, which in turn powers the slide motors separately. I don't know if they are fused separately on the circuit board or not - I cannot easily see my board. I don't know where the junction of the +12 from the output of the circuit board and the +12 from the low side of the switches is, but the output terminal strip of the remote circuit board would be a convenient place, just before the cables run to the slide motor fuses on the fuse board - not sure.

I confirmed it like this - from the battery there is a heavy black cable that runs to a 40A circuit breaker. Connected to the low side of this breaker is a heavy (probably a #6 cable) that disappears into a hole in the chassis. From the SAME side as the HIGH side of the breaker (directly from the battery), there is a jumper to another breaker. This one is a 50 amp breaker. Connected to the low side of this breaker are many wires going different places. Using a clamp-on DC current meter, when I run a slide motor by using the switches, I get a reading on the low side of the first breaker, but no where else. When I run a slide by the remote I get a current reading on one of the smaller wires (approx #10 or #12 wire) running from the second breaker, but no where else. Presumably this would be the wire running to the remote panel.

So, if that 40A breaker failed (opened because of the simultaneous operation of all three motrs, but did not auto-reset) he would not be able to run the slide motors by the switches, but could by the remote control.

Was nothing else affected? I don't know. The OP didn't complain about that, but we didn't try his landing gear. That would probably be on the low side of the first breaker also (the larger #6 cable which was split off before everything else). He should have the Lippert electric auto level system. However, this is a good question because I would expect the +12 feed to the manual control panel (switches) would be common to a lot of things switched at that location (but who knows?).

OP, you there? Any resolution yet? We're curious...
Old 07-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bama Camper, glad you can help. Those of us with Montana's with the hydraulics have our own issues.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
All other systems are working properly. The slides only work with the remote. In my rig I do see the connections and the 50 and 40 amp ratings but there are no buttons to rest them. Then wires all go through a hole in the compartment. When I pulled the slides in I used only the battery power. I guess I have some hidden breaker or fuse I can't find. Tomorrow I'm calling Keystone.

Bama Camper thanks for all your help!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 AM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

This is a system description.

The buttons on the wall and the black box the remote uses DOES NOT supply power to the motors for the slides. These units close a relay for each motor because the switches and the black box cannot handle the power required for the motors.

The fact that the remote still works the slides proves the electrical circuit from the battery to the motors. This leaves only the control circuits.

Look for smaller fuses either in the power center inside the trailer or inline fuses in the front compartment. You have failed the control circuit from the switches they may be protected by a single 10 amps or so fuse for all three and it was overloaded by using all switches at one time.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #20
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

The buttons on the wall and the black box the remote uses DOES NOT supply power to the motors for the slides. These units close a relay for each motor because the switches and the black box cannot handle the power required for the motors.

The fact that the remote still works the slides proves the electrical circuit from the battery to the motors. This leaves only the control circuits.

Look for smaller fuses either in the power center inside the trailer or inline fuses in the front compartment.
I agree that there are probably relays controlling the slide motors because of the higher current requirement. I expect those relays are part of the RC circuit board (if not, where are they? ARE there separate relays for the switches?). And if the switches control the same relays that would be logical. That would mean there would be a control input to the RC circuit board. That's logical and conventional design. The thing I can't resolve in my mind is the current flow in two different paths depending on the mode of activation. That does seem unconventional.

Yes, there are 15 amp fuses (one labeled for each slide) on the "power center" board. According to the legends, one is a shared circuit.

I wish we had a schematic.

To the OP - the 40A breaker does not have a reset button. It is an automatic reset breaker. It SHOULD reset after a short period of time unless it is bad.