Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Buy your Montana in Montana...

Pay no sales tax.
Read on........ http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...al/znews01.txt

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:19 AM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
No sales tax here either in Oregon on anything. We have had to fight for that and no self-serve gas. Our gas prices are already the highest in the country after CA and it has nothing to do with self-serve or not self-serve. We lived in Indiana when they went to self-serve and after a few months the price was where it was before.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:31 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, you may not pay sales taxes in Montana, but I gaurentee that when you register your unit in your home state, you will pay the taxes then. I'm speaking of Ohio, when I transfer the title to Ohio, I would pay them then. That goes the same way as if I bought a unit somewhere at a lower tax rate, I have to pay the higher rate then. If you live there, you don't have to pay any sales tax. Confused yet, I am!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:41 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Glenn, you may not pay sales taxes in Montana, but I gaurentee that when you register your unit in your home state, you will pay the taxes then. I'm speaking of Ohio, when I transfer the title to Ohio, I would pay them then. That goes the same way as if I bought a unit somewhere at a lower tax rate, I have to pay the higher rate then. If you live there, you don't have to pay any sales tax. Confused yet, I am!
That's just the point. Being a licensed LLC in the state of Montana your rig belongs to the LLC, not to you, and is therefore registered and tagged in Montana. You would still have your Ohio residency and Ohio drivers license but your LLC business would be located, on paper of course, in Montana.
A fulltimer with his motor home registered in Montana tried to explain the system to me but I just couldn't understand him. That is not until now.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more??
Old 10-21-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Glenn,

I would be very careful. There is a high liklihood of a person's home state going after them for tax evasion. This is an area where advice from a tax professional and a lawyer would be useful.

Another thing to consider is that some states are strict with a "foreign corporation" doing business in their state and some even require the foreign corp to file state taxes if a certain percentage of their time is spent on business in that state.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
True there is no sales tax in Montana. But if you licence it in another state, you may get dinged for sales tax as you would in ND.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We looked in to this situation and decided not to do it. 1. the LLC you set up in Montana has costs of about 1,000 a year to renew the LLC. 2. Bretz RV didn't come in with the lowest quote on our 3400. 3. If your state sees your RV in your yard, they can ding you for taxes unpaid.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:43 AM   #8
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Here in MD. you do not pay taxes from another state if you purchase your rig there, but if you want MD. tags, they get you then, also a friend of mine regristered his trailer in Maine as a LLC, the MD police watched him and if he kept it in the state for at least 6 months they fined him and made him pay taxes on it, not worth the risk here.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This whole LLC thing is for the fulltimer more so than the parttime RVer. The fulltimer rarely sets still in one place long enough for the police or any other agency to get suspicious. Fulltimers are constantly on the move in one state today and another state next week. A Police officer pulling me over as I am passing through New Jersey or New Mexico is only concerned that I have a valid drivers license and a valid vehicle registration. That officer is not concerned that my drivers license is Florida and the 5er tag is Montana as long as everything is legal he's happy and you are on your way. And besides everytime I was pulled over while dragging a trailer, boat or RV, the officer never asked for the trailers registeration. As a boater I was pulled over many times while the boat was in tow and not once was I asked for the trailer papers..

As far as the cost of an LLC in most all states an LLC costs about $300 to $400 tops per year. The set-up fee can run from $300 and up but that is a one time fee.

7% tax (your tax maybe higher or lower) on a $45,000 rig is $3150.00

In a few years, when I am ready to upgrade, I will absolutely be looking at Montanas.
Montana the trailer and Montana the state.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You can buy a new rig and register it in SD for 3% of the difference. You can buy it anywhere in the US and get the best price. I bought my truck in SD and the Montana in Iowa. The Iowa dealer was $2000.00 lower than any of the Montana State dealers. I bought the truck for invoice. The closer you buy the Montana to the factory, the transportation charges will be less. I was living in WA at the time, saved $5000.00 in sales taxes, 9.1% tax in WA. All you need is a SD drivers license and you can use a Post Office box for that. Your insurance rates will be cheaper also.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
Montana_1587
Established Member

M.O.C. #1587
C5racer,
My wife and I recently bought a new Montana in Missouri and kept it out of state (CA) for 91 days as this used to be the requirement for eliminating the sales tax. When we got back to CA we discovered that they just changed the requirements and no longer allow this. So, I am thinking of setting up camp in Oregon and registering the RV there. I was wondering why you didn't choose Oregon with their no sales tax status since you were living in WA, rather than going to SD. Any suggestions or help in whether Oregon is a good/bad option would be appreciated.

Thanks.
!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

You can buy a new rig and register it in SD for 3% of the difference. You can buy it anywhere in the US and get the best price. I bought my truck in SD and the Montana in Iowa. The Iowa dealer was $2000.00 lower than any of the Montana State dealers. I bought the truck for invoice. The closer you buy the Montana to the factory, the transportation charges will be less. I was living in WA at the time, saved $5000.00 in sales taxes, 9.1% tax in WA. All you need is a SD drivers license and you can use a Post Office box for that. Your insurance rates will be cheaper also.
Montana_1587 is offline   Reply With Quote