Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Fan-Tastic Oddity

This is not a dig at the Arctic RV employees in Fairbanks, nor is it a dig at Montana.

But I couldn’t resist telling this story.

My 3380RL was shipped without the Fan-Tastic over the kitchen. Simmons’ RV in Anchorage, arranged for Montana to ship the requisite fan to Arctic RV, where it would be installed without charge.

I brought my 5th down to the shop Tuesday morning. Got it back Tuesday afternoon. I got it home, and set it up.

Then I thought I’d investigate the new Fan-Tastic. I flipped the switch to “Auto,” and watched as the cover-opener knob turned and the cover raised. When the fan started, the bedroom slide started coming in!

I turned off the Fan-Tastic, and re-opened the slide. Tried the “Manual” setting, and watched the cover open. When the fan started, the bedroom slide started back in.

If the 5th were a Microsoft product, I’m sure I’d have heard that such operation was merely an “unadvertised feature.”

Thankfully, Arctic RV saw no humor in the situation. (Though I do hope at least a couple of them laughed after I departed.) They said that I could bring it back in, and their people would find the right wire for power, or I could investigate myself, on the slim chance that I could fix the strange operation.

It’s pretty cool, being able to get such bugs worked out before we hit the road. I wouldn’t want to think about some poor RVer on the road, having to depend on someone for such a problem.

Oh, and when I bring it back in, (and I do believe I’ll need to,) I’m going to ask that they also check to make sure the A/C and furnace haven’t “inherited” the flaw from the slide. That control is co-located with the slide switch and furnace-A/C thermostat control.

Now that I think about it, maybe this shouldn't be in the "Improvements" thread....

Steve in Fairbanks

2004 Montana 3380RL
2002 F-350, 7.3L PSD, 4.10 Rear End, 4 x 4, DRW, Lariat Crew Cab
Wife, Kim, and two Canine-American, and one Feline-American girls

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Having been off the forum for about a month I've been skimming some of the more than 4000 posts the forum says have been posted during my absence. But, I had to go back and read this one a second time. And I'm getting a bellyache from laughing so hard.

Gee, wouldn't a wiring diagram be nice?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote