Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Drinking Water

What do folks due for drinking water? Carry bottled water or have inline filters or what? Please advise, in a quandry....Thanks

Phil P. Newbie

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes and Yes. We have dual inline filters for bathing and cooking water..

but we carry spring water for drinking.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We also have a water filter. Bought a whole-house filter at Lowe's for about $40; replacement filters are about $12 for 2 and they last about 6 months. We also buy bottled spring water for drinking. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We do the same as above. We also carry a water softener.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
It depends where we are. Here in Yuma, we buy water for drinking and cooking, but also have a filter on the water line as the water is full of salts etc. In Alberta, we drink water from the tap in most places, but keep the filter on. Saves build up in hot water tank etc.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto,

BOTH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I also welcome you to the Forum.
Everyone has a different 'take' on the water issue. I would like to have a reverse osmosis system for the drinking water, and a water softener for the entire incoming water, but, I only have a filter on my kitchen cold water. Everywhere you go, the water is different, some water is so full of different minerals you just cant scrub it well enough to have it taste good, hence people buy and consume bottled water. I just feel it's not in my interest to filter water going into my holding tanks, so I just concentrate on the cold water in the kitchen.
I have a Brita dual filter static system from Lowe's in addition to the Everpure Rv filter. Sue-my wife, won't drink the local water even with the two filters, the Brita has a charcoal filter, which 'Sweetens' it still isn't as good as bottled water. I drink it, but I buy bottled water for her, and company.
I would suggest buying a couple of the 1 or 2 gallon containers with a spigot from Sam's or Wally World, and get the water there, or from one of the Windmill places all over the country, they have reverse osmosis water, filtered about 4 or 5 times in addition. You can buy gallon containers at Wally World cheap as well.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have never used C.G Water for Cooking or drinking always bottle.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We "double filter" all water coming into the rig and then use a Brita pitcher for our drinking water. We've never had a problem with any campground water except in New Mexico and Casa Grande, AZ. There we use their reverse osmosis water for cooking and drinking.

Someone once said, "I can't see filtering the water coming in and using it in the toilet." Well, what's the difference? The toilet doesn't know it and it certainly doesn't hurt the filters. Incidentally, we change filters "once a year" whether it needs it or not. We have found that when you double filter (the first filter being one for removing sediment and other debris) the good filter lasts a lot longer.

But, like someone else said, there are a lot of opinions.

We do carry bottled water in the tow vehicle for drinking as we travel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ozz, are you running only off the pump and holding tank?? When we direct feed city water, it does not run through our holding tank.

When we load into the holding tank, most of the time it is at one of our lovely Michigan State Parks, where we cannot use the filters, so we go for broke and just load er on.

When we are in areas of high minerals etc, we put the house filters on. As stated here before, be real careful with water in the Goshen Indiana area, a general statement, they have very high iron, stains everything it touches if you get in the wrong area, away from city water.

We use distilled water for doggie drinking water and coffee cause the vet has said the kids cannot drink even spring water, too many minerals in it for them (if you have ever had 4 dogs with urinary infections ALL at the same time, and all the fun that goes with it, you will listen to every suggestion the vet makes! )

Buy Walley world bottled water in the 20 ounce bottles for extra drinking water for the humans along for the ride.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 AM   #11
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I have a ceramic water filter. Haven't used it yet. We just use tap water here and on the road.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:19 AM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We use a reverse osmsis filtering system for our drinking water. Use a line filter for the intake water to take out sediment. By-the-way, if you use bottled water, the best of it is reverse osmosis produced. If you get spring water, it may be unfiltered although probably randomly tested. It might be interesting to read up on some of the bottled water and spring water safety literature.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We use ther naturepur filter for drinking, cooking and pets. Have to laugh in a way about the folks who drink tap water in Alberta. Our trip to Alberta is why we now use filtered water and not tap water. The year we visited Alberta one of the local water boards was knowningly pumping e-coli infested water into their system. Think four or five children died from it. So we no longer trust anyone's water system.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I find it inconceivable that a anyone could or would "knowingly" infest a water system with e-coli. If true I hope they are in jail and being forced to drink some of their own product!

We use a cartridge type filter on our rig. We also may or may not buy the bottled water. It just depends on how we feel! No particular reason. We have traveled many parts of the country and have never had any particular problem with the water. Even drank the water in Mexico!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We have one of the inline disposable filters from WalMart...attaches on the outside of the city water intake. So, yes, we take showers and wash dishes with filtered water, but for 18 bucks a year it's worth it...good water/no hassle.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #16
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
Just thought i'd chime in, we have a filter before and after the softner,use a berky light filter for our drinking water,learned about those well still living in the stick house,also water the spook[our cat]with it.We got the softner because the water in Minnesota is really rusty in a lot of places.We figure the water softner will save a lot on our water heater,plumbing etc.
minkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #17
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We use inline filter at the outside faucet. Use bottled water for drinking, and tap water for cooking. So far, so good.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a ceramic water filter that filters all in coming water to the coach. I use tap water for everything. I also carry a case or two of bottle water to take with me in the truck.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #19
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have a double system like Glenn, but we only use it while we are in Illinois because we are on a well and the water is very hard. Down here in Fl, we use tap water for cooking, bathing, and drinking.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
At one point I was intent on a complete filter and water softening program, but because we don't use our rig often enough, have elected to use a sediment and sometimes a charcoal filter.
Drinking water is mostly purchased with the groceries for our outing. It only amounts to a couple gallons per weekend.
If in the future, we are able to use it for longer periods, I will than revisit the full solution.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote