Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Reigstering the Tana

Bought our Tana in September and still trying to get it registered in Texas. Have to get a new Arizona temp. plate as the original is about to expire. While in Texas in October, took all of my paperwork from dealer to tax office, and they told me I couldn't register it because I didn't have a "manufacture of origin certificate", which is required for out of state purchases. Since my Dad was ill in Tucson, we headed back to Tucson, and obtained the required cert. from dealer and sent the paperwork back to tax office in Texas. Seems at the time I was at the tax office while in Texas, they forgot to tell me it needed to have a weight ticket from a certified weigh scale, they called me yesterday to tell me, and said they would hold my other paperwork until I returned to Texas, or mailed them a weight ticket. So, I guess that when I head out of Tucson, I shall stop at a truckstop and get weighted (which I should definitely do anyway for safety). By the way, the ladies at the tax office are really great and have been extremely helpful in my relocation to Texas, so I am not complaining. Just want you all to know to double check with your state registration office before attempting to register an out of state purchase. Ya'all keep safe and warm....

bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess each state is different with regards to their registration laws concerning out of state RV purchases. Unless it's changed in the past year or so, in Kansas you just show the DMV your sales receipt and "with a big smile" they show you the fee ... sales tax ... registration ... and all.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Sounds like a typical g'vment operation.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Bob, I'm currently going through the same thing. I bought the trailer in Washington and am trying to get it registered in Texas. It has not been an easy task.
The dealer didnt know that I needed the "MSO Sheet" (which verifies the weight of the trailer) to take to the DMV in Texas so I could get an accurate dollar amount to pay the taxes and registration. The DMV told me I needed a certified "Cat Scale" weight certificate in order to pay my registration. I asked her if my two previous scale reciepts would work. I weighed my truck separate, and then both the truck and trailer together and she could do the math. NOPE, not good enough, I would have to go to the scale and drop the trailer and weigh it separately.
I told her I was already living in it and that would be hard to do.
I also told her I couldnt believe that all NEW trailers had to be weighed by the consumer. That didnt seem right to me. So now the Bank has to mail the title to Texas so they can see the trailer weight and tell me how much I owe.... GOOD GRIEF.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I said it before and Ill say it again. Simply go to any truck stop, buy the scale man a cup of coffee and tell him how much you want a weight ticket for. They got em lying all over the place for every weight imaginable. Yep, sounds wierd but you gotta go with the flow.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Florida does not care about weight on the trailer just length. Now the truck is a different story. That weight must include the pin weight of the trailer to be legal. I put 35' 8" on the form (from sale brochure) and the tax office challenged it saying the "manufacture of origin certificate" say it is 32'. We I did not argue with them. Who knows.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
We're some of the fortunate few. We live in Montana, so there's no sales tax, we bought our plates for our rig for a one-time fee of about $300! Doesn't get any better than that!
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just another experience for balance of the record:

We purchased our Montana at RV Connections in Panama City, Florida. They sent the proper papers here to Upshur County, Texas where we live. When we went to the County Tax Accessor/Collector's office to complete the registration everything was in order. We had to pay a few dollars (less than $10 as I remember) to make the sales tax come out exactly right, but there was never any question about the weight as supplied in the papers from Florida. In fact, we have NEVER weighed our trailer.

Annual registration fee in Texas is based on weight, not on value, hence is NOT deductable on Federal Income Tax, but the fee is based on the original weight as certified by manufacturer and no annual weighing is ever required. The exact same rules apply to automobile registration.

I may be wrong, but I think problems that some have experienced is because the dealers have not submitted the proper documentation. I just purchased a new automobile in Shreveport, LA and had the same good experience I had with the Montana purchase in Florida. The dealer in Louisiana supplied the proper documentation to our office here in Upshur County, Texas and I received my license plates directly from the County office--no problems.

My suggestion? If buying from a dealer in another state, have the dealer call the county Tax office in Texas at the time of final sales and signing of papers. The county officials will gladly assist in making sure the proper documents are sent. In our case, even the sales tax and registration were included in the total sale amount which I paid to the dealer (both in Florida and in Louisiana) and were, of course, sent directly to the county office in Texas.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
In about 13 months, I anticipate I'll be going thru the same process of trying to register my truck and Monty in Texas and would like to make sure I know just what docs I need to do that. Just what docs does Texas require? Is a certified CAT scale weight on the trailer required, or will they accept the weight listed on the title docs I'll be bringing down from the DMV in Virginia? If I have the Virginia title, do I still need the MSO and/or "manufacturer of origin certificate"? And is that something that the dealers give to everyone or something you only got because you asked for it? Do these rules only apply if you have purchased the Monty recently, or do they apply to all out-of-state vehicles regardless of when they were purchased?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
David and JoAnna, my experience may not be directly applicable to your question since I bought a new Montana which had never been registered. What I do know is that there was NO requirement of a scale weight.

The following PDF webpage/file may be of some assistance:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-...ms/vtr-141.pdf

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we registered our Montana in Texas in 2000 we did not have to take it to a scale. We just provided a photograph of the manufacturers spec plate on the rig which showed the weight.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
For out of state registrations on used rvs or previously registered rvs, the state says if the weight is on the title, you do not need a weight ticket.
They accept that states weight. Each county defines their rules differently. in that some say certified weight ticket, while small cities accept feed mill tickets. And what side of the bed they got up on that morning.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Hey David, The dealer should give you everything you need to do it. The only thing missing in my package was something to show how much it weighed. The MSO Sheet(birth certificate) will show this.
That is what I have been told.
I think the only reason it was missing in my package was because in Washington weight is not an issue and the lady at the dealer didnt realize I needed it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

In about 13 months, I anticipate I'll be going thru the same process of trying to register my truck and Monty in Texas and would like to make sure I know just what docs I need to do that. Just what docs does Texas require? Is a certified CAT scale weight on the trailer required, or will they accept the weight listed on the title docs I'll be bringing down from the DMV in Virginia? If I have the Virginia title, do I still need the MSO and/or "manufacturer of origin certificate"? And is that something that the dealers give to everyone or something you only got because you asked for it? Do these rules only apply if you have purchased the Monty recently, or do they apply to all out-of-state vehicles regardless of when they were purchased?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #14
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Blue, just talked to my Tax office in Texas, and they told me since the dealer had Arizona title the Tana for the bank, even though no tag issued, they consider it used, so the Manuf. Cert. was not valid cause it is only good for original title. So, off to the CAT scale. I also said I am almost living in my Tana after 3 months, so my weight was going to be maxed with all of our stuff. She suggested I empty it, otherwise I would be paying for that extra weight til I got rid of the Tana. Gots to love it...

bob
Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #15
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Good Grief Man, I'm sorry to hear that.
I was dreading that if it was going to be our case.
I love government.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rrheik

Blue, just talked to my Tax office in Texas, and they told me since the dealer had Arizona title the Tana for the bank, even though no tag issued, they consider it used, so the Manuf. Cert. was not valid cause it is only good for original title. So, off to the CAT scale. I also said I am almost living in my Tana after 3 months, so my weight was going to be maxed with all of our stuff. She suggested I empty it, otherwise I would be paying for that extra weight til I got rid of the Tana. Gots to love it...

bob
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Blue, maybe you will have better luck, I live in Bell county, which may have a different interpretation, as I understand that portion of the licensing manual is somewhat gray. I guess whenever the county sends the paperwork to Austin, they can accept it or reject it. I am going to try and get a good manuf. cert. of origin, as well as the CAT skill reading and submit both and hope that I finally get a license. Good luck. I am glad our tax dollars are working hard....
bob