Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Montana_5429
Established Member

M.O.C. #5429
All Keys the same?

I just did my walkthru on the purchase of my 2006 Mountaineer 342PHT. Thanks to info I've found here, I was able to find several things that they will fix before I actually take delivery next week. The dealer/tech was telling me that all the keys for the storage compartments on the keystone trailers are all the same! That means anyone can get into your storage. I brought the keys home and tried them on my 1985 Wilderness TT and the keys opened the storage compartments on that! My trailer hitch came up missing about a year ago and I thought I had lent it to someone and had forgoten who.... I guess not...

I'm gonna be looking to change these locks!

Montana_5429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Trailer manufactures only 2 or 3 different key numbers, you can have them rekeyed of camping world sell a set of keys that are like a barrel key that looks like the ones you see on pop machines. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, many dealers carry replacement locks, check to make sure you get the correct lenght. If you go to a non-Keystone dealer, they may carry a series of locks that are different, but are actually the replacements for their own brand, hence same problem. Camping World has some sets, which run about $25.00. Stay away from the ace locks, they are the ones with the round keys, unless you don't mind that the key stays in the lock when open and can not be removed untill the lock is in the lock position again.
Lock smiths are generally a lot more, or at the ones i priced and often don't have a brand of locks that have the little door that keeps the bad stuff out of the key slot. gl
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Another thought, the basement doors are not very strong. A long screw driver can peel the door open far enough to get your hand inside. One quick yank and that little lock will break apart. You can replace the locks, but if a theif wants in the basement, those locks are not going to stop them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As far as I know, and I have been told this by more than one dealer, every key to every camper compartment on every camper that has been made since the beginning of time is exactly the same.(well almost)Just my thoughts on changing locks. Why spend a lot of money for a better lock to put on a compartment that can be cut through with a finger nail clipper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I agree with Rich completely! Don't tell the bad guys, but I actually replaced the locking latch on the compartment I use most (our TT only has 2 and one's just a little one on the side) with a non-locking one for my own convenience.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There's the old saying "Locks are there to keep honest people honest". If a thief wants to get into these cheaply made compartments no lock is ever going to stop him. You don't even need a key. A screwdriver inserted into the key slot and given a good twist will turn the entire lock assembly or use the same screwdriver and just pry the door open. Accept when on the road, I rarely lock the compartments.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:38 AM   #8
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I found that sometimes this is a blessing. A friend once locked his keys in his TV and could not get into his unit. I unlocked his basement and he was able to go in through the laundry chute and get his spare set. This only works if the bathroom door is closed and you can raise the cover.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
dirk, just a little more info on the keys. I move trailers for our local dealership and have carried the master sets. ALWAYS lock your deadbolt when you are out, the handle lock is what the master key fits! The deadbolt has one extra notch that only your key will open. This is why when you leave the unit at the dealer, they tell you not to lock the deadbolt. the big deisel pusher motor homes also have the same keys for the basement storage but theirs are different than ours. Like the other members say, the lock will only keep out the honest folks!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Well just did the test, Met someone this morning driving A holiday rambler 96 Model MH, Opened all his storage compartments with my monty key.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #11
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Has anyone been able to get a duplicate key for the deadbolt? I've tried hardware stores, home depot, and several big RV dealers with no success. It's just a matter of time until I lock myself out and need to hide a key somewhere.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I had my deadbolt key duplicated at a local Locksmith Shop, its a bit pricey, as they are double cut keys, cost about $4.00 each.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #13
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks, JP. I tried one locksmith, but he didn't have a blank. I'll try another.
Bob
Old 03-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
Montana_5429
Established Member

M.O.C. #5429
Thanks for all the replys. Just seems to me for maybe $5 each trailer they could give each buyer a unique lock. Or maybe one of 50... With such a large storage compartment, it's a shame there's no secure way to use it. Guess I'll have to keep my tools in a closet.
Montana_5429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We had a couple of extras made at the dealer when we bought ours. No cost to us. check at a dealer and they can probably do it for you.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
Try a local locksmith. That was the only place I was able to get an extra key copied. My local rv dealer carries the blank keys which you need, picked up 2 of them for less than $2. The cost was around $12 for the locksmith, but well worth the money and time.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #17
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks guys. I'll look for a locksmith the next time I come across a good-sized town. They are scarce where we have been the last few days (Southern Utah and Nevada).
Old 03-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't read all the replies so may be duplicating...

With a very few exceptions all RV lockers use either the 751 or the 347 key. You can change the locks but that won't really do you much good. I can pop open any locker door with a simple screwdriver in about five seconds. I have done it on mine when I lost the keys. A new lock won't help. You would need to seriously stiffen the locker doors and/or add several locks to provide more resistance to popping with a screwdriver.

That said, we've never had a problem with theft. We know of several Montana owners who don't bother to lock the doors at all.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote