Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Terrible Thought.....

We were in bed in the monty one night and I was thinking what if a fire broke out and trapped us in the bedroom. I carry an exit ladder by the bed, one side fastened solid. But would you have time to unfold it and use it or just jump? Its a long way to the ground but a broken leg would be better than being burned. So I was wondering what plans other people have along these lines, if any. Don't even want to think about it but things do happen. Sorry for being morbid. Jack

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We've never thought about this. It's good to make us think. We're interested in if there is anyone that has a plan for this.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
We all need to think about it especially since there have been some electrical fires. I just replaced some burnt wiring in the kitchen so I should think about it. It looks like one or both of us would be injured going out the bedroom window. Maybe i will install additional fire alarms.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Like many of you we've thought about this type of thing. The large bedroom window is an "escape" window. Our plan is to simply crawl through that. As we exit we will hang onto the edge. That should allow us to get our feet on the ground or almost on the ground. So the "drop" shouldn't be too far. At least that's the plan. Roscoe, of course, will be let out first. Now for him it's going to be a long drop.

Let us hope we never have to test these plans.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Usually this is where our picnic table goes! Never thought about it but, that might be the answer for some of us, depending on where the awning is in relationship to the bedroom window.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
We carry a small knotted rope which can be attached to an eye bolt I added to the base of the bed. Never have really tried it out.

I did accidentally learn that the window will come right out of the upper channel if you lift it high enough (at least on ours). I was cleaning the window from a ladder and out it came! Fortunately I had a good enough grip that it didn't drop. If memory serves me correctly, the only way I could figure out how to get it back into the channel was to remove the screws.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Ham Rad, I would suggest MaryKay go out first, THEN ROSCOE, then you. She can catch him, and help you. But never Roscoe from that height.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Have thought the same thing. Our plan is either the bedroom window or the one in the dinning room slide. Depends where the fire is. Hope to never have to try either. Always good to be prepared.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would use the bedroom window if need be, but also just wanted to add that I have a fire extinguisher in the front closet next to the bed. Would use that to get to the door if possible, if not out the window I will go.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I'd have no problem at all going out that window if there was a real fire.We would have to drop Daisy down first. We also keep a fire extinguisher in the bedroom closet.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well if the fire hasn't reached the hamper door you watch how fast G & I can go through that hole, usually when we camp that compartment is almost empty.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
The bedroom window is the last resort and we'd be out that way in a minute if necessary. The smoke detector should alert us before a fire gets that bad. The scary thing is if the smoke detector doesn't work.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I will be purchasing a rope ladder to attach to the window frame.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Anything is better than being badly burned (and living). Our fire department at the camp here showed us a training film of an electrical fire. It took two (2) minutes to consume the room the fire started in. The big problem with electrical fire is that they are usually well under way inside the walls before anyone notices. It pays to be prepared. Not only have a plan of escape but practice it till it becomes second nature.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Don't panic! If the only escape is the bedroom window and you have some time, I would grab the bedding, towels, clothing and anything that would fit through the window to soften the landing. I don't know how many have actually tried to use that escape window but it is not going to be a pretty sight. Most of us are not very athletic and will have a problem going out feet first. It might be easier if the bed slide were retracted but that won't be an option. More than likely the easiest way to get through the window is head first and that is not the best way to hit the ground. Key here is DON'T PANIC!!
The suggestion that we have a plan of action before the emergency is great advice. Check out the escape plan for everyone in the RV and have a meeting place once everyone is out. Open that emergency window and try to get your feet up and out far enough that you think it is possible in an emergency. Or head first is you can't get your feet up there. Figure out if you need to lay on your back or your stomach to get out. You don't want to have to figure that out with smoke and flames inches away.

DON'T PANIC!!!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #16
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
We have a rear bedroom so there is no problem going out the escape window. There is a chest of drawers under the window so we could sit and go out feet first. So there is no drop to worry about.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
drhowell made a very good point. For those of you who have a 2005 or newer coach, your window is much higher due to the dresser being taller. In my 2004, the dresser is much lower and longer which means the window is not as high and I can sit on my dresser without having to stand on anything to get onto it. Another reason I like my bedroom layout much better. =) As stated earlier I also have a fire extinguisher in the bedroom closet to help fight my way to the door if possible.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just curious... has anyone thought to actually ask Montana/Keystone for their "official" procedures, and/or policies for an emergency escape, if needed, from one of their fifthwheels? I realize different floorplans would make for slight variations, but I can't imagine an RV mfr placing "Emergency Escape" exits in a unit, and then just telling a new owner, "Good luck!" They must have a procedure for exiting that window properly... or maybe the actual window subcontractor actually has a "best" recommended procedure for using the windows that they make? Does that make sense?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It is my understanding that "code" requires an emergency exit because passengers can ride in a fifth wheel type trailer in about half the states in the country. In our rig there is an exit on the curb side of the trailer and in the living room area it is on the driver side of the rig.

It has been a long time since I've read the manual but I don't remember anything about emergency exits. Perhaps someone has read it recently and can give us some up to the minute information.

I suspect it is pretty basic if it is there. Probably something like, "In case of fire or other emergency; Open window and haul your sorry b*** through opening!"

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hamrad, I think it's OK to say "butt". If not, I may get another wonderful greeting from Admin in my PM box...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote