Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
jakesters

M.O.C. #5433
Keystones rv's, low to high

After reading many posts, I'm very curious as to keystones product lineup? Which is the high end and which is the low end? And where does mountaineer go in the line-up? Just wondering, since I can't seem to find this info anywhere including dealers...

jakesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Look here it should have all or more than you are loking for.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....IC_ID~7985.asp
Old 02-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is a matter of opinion but I feel it goes something along the lines of,
1. Cambridge (discontinued)
2. Montana
3. Everest
4. Challenger
5. Mountaineer
And so on...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Jake,

The way I think is that it matters little where in the economic food chain my rig is positioned. The main thing is whether I like what I have and does it meet my needs. I am not impressed with rigs that carry a bigger price tag than my Monty. I am empressed with folks that exude satisfaction and joy with what they have chosen. I have more comfort and amenities in Monty than I had in my backpacking tent, but I don't have more fun, just different fun. So Monty doesn't make me happier, just more comfortable.

Some folks have posted here that had problems that were no worse that other folks, but they couldn't figure out how to have fun anyway. Whether one enjoys his rig largely depends on the attitude he brings to the table.

I really enjoy reading the posts of folks who have just purchased a new Monty or other rig or have traded for a new one. Their excitement is infectious. But I am not the slightest bit interested in doing the same.

Forgive my pontificating. Others have answered your question. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great and valuable thinking, Stiles.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stiles

another post of wisdom and insight and truth!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Attitude..There is no such thing as a bad attitude.Every attitude is correct for the conditions that exist at the time.In order to cause a change in attitude one must cause a change in the conditions that caused them... Attitude is not effected by what you bring to the table...it is affected by what is on the table.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:36 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
richfaa, I'm no psychiatrist or psychologist but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. Attitude is a choice one makes about any condition that confronts them. You can choose to have a positive attitude about anything or you can become a slave to your circumstances which can often make your circumstances worse. I think that is the point Stiles was making in his post. Attitude can be adjusted simply by finding contentment in whatever situation a person finds themselves in.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #9
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This might make a great topic BUT NOT in this thread! Please folks....... stay on topic here. Take the "attitude" discussion to another thread please.

Thanks,

RVWheels MOC Admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:38 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Jake,

Our Dealer sells both Mountaineer & Montana. Looking at them side by side, the only difference we could see is some of the decor items. They both use the same material for the construction. ie., Same Frame,Axles,Roof,Walls,Floor,Windows,Holding Tanks,A/C,Heater,Water Pump,Refer,Hot Water,Elect and on and on.

I agree with the others, It's not about how much one pays, It's about your peace of mind. What makes you happy and if the floor plan works for you, that's what is all about.

Wish you the best and Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
If one is happy, satisfied and enjoying ones self with their purchase, then the world is a happy place
The gentleman was asking about the trim order of the Keystone line. The differences in the keystone line is just that, a matter of trim levels. The basice frame, tires, wheels etc. are the same on just about all Keystones. The Monty happens to fit into a nice reasonable niche that allows a very nice looking package, with a reasonable level of trim without being exorbitantly priced.
The Montana in my humble opinion still gives the best bang for the buck, even including some of the problems faced by some of us owners. That's my penny's worthinflation dontcha know?
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At the RV show the Montana and Mountaineer were sitting back to front to one another and both looked good.In fact the Mountaineer has the slide out bike rack that the Montana does not and overhead storage bin in the front basement compartment that we took many pictures of and will incorporate it into the 3400. They share many of the same features and as has been said it is a matter of what you need and what your budget will allow.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
cambridge discontinued? I thought they just brought it back or upgraded. maybe didn't sell well.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Montana is currently Keystone's Flagship. It's largest models are larger than the other brands listed - I believe - with some right at the 400 sq ft cutoff for fifth wheels. (401+ sq ft converts all the building codes to "Park Model" codes.) If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

For instance, I have not been able to find another Keystone model that approximates the sq ft of the 3400RL. Anyone find one? Of course I am totally disregarding the Cambridge model, for the sake of this discussion.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The frames are not the same, according to the 06 Brochures. Montana has a 10" "rolled" I Beam and Mountaineers have a 10" I beam. I believed a "rolled" I Beam is a manufactured structural member where a regular I Beam can be welded in a shop. The "rolled" I beam is engineered to be a certain strength where a fabricated I beam depends on the workmanship of the tradesmen that build it.

The bicycle rack is also standard on the Cougar line and it is a nice feature but a rear bumper is not as upscale looking as the moulded rear cap on a Montana. More practical I am sure but not as nice looking.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
SO which would you consider to be better, Don? The regular I beam or the rolled I beam?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 AM   #17
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
No question, the rolled I beam is stronger. I have never heard of an issue with any Keystone Frame
but there have been some manufacturer's that have had their welded I Beams twist .

The rolled I Beam costs more and is another reason you will pay a little more for a Montana.
IMO the Montana is your best value.

Jayco uses the rolled I beams on the Eagle which is a less expensive line and they make a point in showing the difference between the two I beam styles and why the rolled beam is so much better. They have a picture of the two beam types.

On the Designer series, they have a frame made up of two tubular beams stacked together and they feel this is better yet. One thing for sure, welded I beams are only seen on lower end units.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #18
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

My Mountaineer TT has a rolled I Beam frame. Someone will have to look at their Mounty to see if the Mounty 5er's also have the rolled frame. I know our last Terry by Fleetwood had a welded frame with the center being a waved section for weight reduction. Don't know if Fleetwood is still using that method or not but we never had a problem with the Frame on it. If a Frame is welded properly it's a non-issue. Although it's got to be a heck of a lot cheaper to use rolled steel, so I don't know why anyone would use welded material any more.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What about insulation? I am not sufficiently familiar with the Mountaineer to say unequivocally but I thought the Montana has higher insulation ratings and that the Mountaineer does not have the belly pan. The tanks are exposed. Is that right or wrong?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #20
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
This could just be sales speak, but I remember the sales guy stating that the Montana has a vented attic and the Mountaineer does not.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote